Sign in to follow this  
rickyriot

Hats should not be permanently fixed to the head.

With the introduction of cowboy hats, it seems only sensible that hats like this shouldn't be glued to the head like they are now. Wind, running and rushing through bushes should all have the ability to knock hats off players heads. You should also be able to shoot hats off the heads of people. 

As they are just now, the hats seem really false, as if attached like a Lego hat.

With the introduction of cowboy hats, it seems only sensible that hats like this shouldn't be glued to the head like they are now. Wind, running and rushing through bushes should all have the ability to knock hats off players heads. You should also be able to shoot hats off the heads of people. 

As they are just now, the hats seem really false, as if attached like a Lego hat.

:P

Maybe in DayZ III ?

What is the gameplay advantage of this ? No pun.

- suggesting new wardrobe for example has no gameplay effect directly but opens way to player interaction and avatar development, etc. Having the hat flying off offers just the possibility of shooting it of their heads, which is interesting.

• Like 2

Except for some more realism, what would this add to the game from a gameplay perspective?

I like the idea with shots kicking a hat from the head - especially on cowboy hats it would be classic - but other then that I don't think it adds anything but annoyance.

• Like 2

I wouldnt ming having layered apparel.

Hats over bandannas for example. That would improve thing a bit also.

Sorry guys, I should have said that in terms of actual gameplay it doesn't add much, but in terms of immersion I think it offers quite a few benefits. 

I think we all agree that having a shot knock the hat off the head would be good, hats don't provide any protection other than rain. When grenades get added I like the idea that close explosions could also knock the hat off.

I reckon it could be a bit of a bugger to implement, of course, so certainly not a priority.

I did think about problems implementing it and that server sided checks need to be added, which would put more strain onto the server.

But I don't like to discuss ideas with these reasons, ideas shouldn't be looked at with technical detail in the first stage of their creation.

I want to divide the idea in two parts:

1: Hats fling off after a shot close to the head (or at the hat)

2: Hats get ripped down by the environment.

No1:

Adds some funny element in shootouts

If you are not dead due to the shot, but your hat is gone, you knew how close it was. Could make you really scared / feeling lucky

Afaik player hitboxes are getting reworked anyway, this would add one hitbox and maybe need an animation after a check.

No2:

Running through bushes kicking your head off forcing you to go back is simply annoying.

A lot of players will refrain from wearing hats in the first place

Would need the ability to tie a string around the head to at least keep it around the neck (realism)

Should apply to other gear, eg Sunglasses, too.

I really don't see any benefit to No2, just annoying stuff that would reduce the amount of players wearing such gear and more and more players wearing gear that is fixed to the head (military helmets, motorbike helmets, etc).

I did think about problems implementing it and that server sided checks need to be added, which would put more strain onto the server.

This is why something like this will most likely not be implemented.

I do agree with shooting some hats off though. They should be in the game for the funny and immersion.

You can't shoot hats off with bullets. They just punch through and don't give much of their energy to the hat, to rip it off.

Shooting someone in the head could flinge the hat of. But more because the skull gets deformed and the hat might fit worse than before, not to mention "stuff" flying out...

Anyways, I think flying off hats would be hard to include in the engine.

Also, losing your hat on random occasions would be more annoying then anything else. In the real world, you would feel if your hat is gone or about to get loose.

You haven't this in game. So it would just be annoying and wouldn't add much to the game, in my opinion.