Sign in to follow this  
blackberrygoo

Running upstairs , jumping down stakrs

I have always wanted to see more havoc on stairs , I notice at least on my end, bodies in dayz lay pretty well on stairs so a dead body looks natural laying on stairs haha.

My suggestion is if running up stairs we could hold the sprint button to run 75% as fast as we normally do up them but have a 20% chance of "falling up " the stairs .

If you're clumsy on stairs IRL you'll know what I mean , it's like you fall and lose balance on one foot and pathetically put out your hand (or your gun in your hands or what have you ) .

This way when being shot at, the person doesn't have an easy shot when you're character is slowly and unrealistically ascending the stairs haha .

The other part is going down . Is there a way to , when you aoproach the threshold of the stairs , to have a feature where you can press the jump button to" jump " steps instead of walking daintily down them ? I don't mean scale the whole 12 set staircase but like make a different "running down stairs " motion , like when people with Long legs skip two steps while walking down stairs . The downfall doing this would be obvious , a nice broken leg .

Lemme know what you guys think . I'm gonna go to bed nowlol

• Like 1

Not quite as streamlined as I would like it, but the general idea is sound. I would like to add that certain-size staircases should be completely jumpable going down, with a proportionately higher chance of breaking your leg depending on staircase height and your character's/equipment's weight.

I don't think we should have this before we have a system for inventory weight and inventory weight affecting your movement speed. You shouldn't be able to run up a steep staircase if you have a 25 kg backpack, a ballstic vest, a Carbine in your hands, anohter rifle on your back, and a fireman's axe.

I think that in the bigger houses, you should be able to mount and slide down the bannisters, just like Nicolas Cage did in National Treasure 2. 

Also, going off of how I broke my legs by running too quickly towards the top of some stairs, I do see this going horribly

Ya I see where you guys are going with this .. But what about the people in t-shirts still restricted for some reason going up stairs ? It's all in the engine and they should eventually address it , unfortunately it's pbviously on the back burner haha , I guess ill wait til beta and post again .

Ps: think of soldiers in war and firefighters. They carry 50+ lbs of gear and weapons up stairs and they don't always walk politely up them in battle / fires .

I don't think we should have this before we have a system for inventory weight and inventory weight affecting your movement speed. You shouldn't be able to run up a steep staircase if you have a 25 kg backpack, a ballstic vest, a Carbine in your hands, anohter rifle on your back, and a fireman's axe.

True, but in all fairness you're not going to be running for long at all with that kind of weight on you. Some degree of leeway has to be allowed for entertainment value, even in DayZ.

I think that in the bigger houses, you should be able to mount and slide down the bannisters, just like Nicolas Cage did in National Treasure 2. 

Also, going off of how I broke my legs by running too quickly towards the top of some stairs, I do see this going horribly

I think (hope) that the mechanics for falling are going to undergo a serious revamp - some of the distances I've fallen and broken legs in the mod have been ridiculous. You can take damage falling one and a half metres down a ladder chute. Even assuming you have a backpack full of gear, that's not going to happen in real life unless you roll an ankle or lock your knees. I'd take being able to make a large drop and falling/rolling at the bottom to redirect momentum, even. Yeah, I know, rolling with a backpack chock full of gear is unrealistic, but letting your legs buckle after a fall is usually how we handle a fall that's just beyond what we can take without trying to mitigate the impact.

Wouldn't want to trip on chance, that would be annoying IMO.

Maybe you have to hold sprint while on the stairs the whole time or else you may trip?

Meh, that's not a very good idea.

But I do agree that we need to be able to go up and down stairs and hills alot faster.