Sign in to follow this  
VinceV

A few thoughts

Many of you will probably think this is ridiculous and it has probably been suggested before, but anyways...

Currently the messages in the bottom left corner basically display your "thoughts" or "feelings" on how your body is doing.

"I feel like having a drink"

"My stomach grumbles"

"I feel blood dripping off my clothes"

Why not expand this to cover more feelings?

Like, imagine you meet a nice guy at the coast who helps you out and maybe you scavenge a few houses together. After a while you separate and go your own ways, but both of you actually liked each other for being friendly and you wouldn't mind meeting each other again and have some more fun together.

A little while later after you've geared up a bit and decide to go loot a military base. You get into one of the barracks, take what you need, turn around and then there's someone standing in the door. Of course you KoS him before any of you say a word, because you're scared as hell and don't want to give up your precious gear. But that guy in the door was actually the one who you enjoyed teaming up with earlier, you'll just never know.

You would know in real life though, and this is where the simulation currently fails in my opinion. Everytime someone swichtes clothes and you run into them again you basically meet a new - probably hostile - player. It could've been that bambi who you gave a can of beans just a few minutes ago and he was lucky enough to loot a bandit corpse and find it's first gear, he wants to come back and give you something in return, but to you it is one of those damn KoS kiddies and before he can turn his mic on you put a bullet in his head.

So how about having a system where you "memorize faces", just as you would remember them in real life?

You look at that guy in the door and he looks back at you and you both get that message popping up saying something like:

"This face looks familiar"

"This person seems to be friendly"

"I've met this person before"

"This guy gave me something useful"

Of course this won't help against the people KoSing for the hell of it (in my opinion they're just scared to interact with real people), but it could add a new layer of immersion to those who actually play the game.

Your memory also should not last forever, but blur out over time, and should be deleted when you die. And maybe even let it have a small chance of failure, sometimes real people look similar too.

This could also be combined with a simple mechanic that makes you automatically lower or even holster your gun (same for the other person of course) when you come across someone you've met and interacted with before. Or when you're further away and zoom in on them with your scope you also get some kind of "feeling" that tells you not to shoot this person right away. And if you've seen that guy kill some fresh spawn before have it say:

"That guy is a murderer"

or something. It can also be applied to identify bandits.

I don't think it would be good to have this system forced though, make it optional - so everyone can decide if he wants to use it or just keep KoSing everyone who might pose a threat.

Reading through all this again I think it's probably close to impossible to put in the game. But hey.. maybe you can put some of this in your minds and keep it there for your next encounter.

I think/hope there's more people like me out there who think that KoS is taking many interesting aspects out of the game, essentially breaking the whole mechanic of player interaction. I think we're supposed to experience non-hostile behaviour more often.

• Like 4

This is a much better post then what I expected, Personally I like the idea of developing familiarity, in order to identify them for what you've seen them do in the past, in saying that, while I'm no dev it does appear to be a difficult idea to implement, but would be cool to have in game.

Some people don't talk, although that's usually followed by a fire/axe/fist fight, I honestly have difficulty and everyone just sounds north american, likely because I didn't grow up here and lack of exposure, on the upside it make me standout a bit more.

It's a good idea, because it compensates for the nonsensical ability of players to completely change their physical appearance. A game mechanic which aids memory would balance this out.

Edited by Mandrake

It has been suggested before slightly different but along the same lines one thing though the way it was suggested before would work easier and eat less server resources and that was have the ability to tag them yourself write small note friendly met at electro etc...

When you saw him you would have to re open this tag system on him no tag never met so it still could cost you your life but to have the server checking over and over for people you  have met would ah well eat WAY to many resources..( id like a few more zeds added which wont happen with the load the system you want is added.

The tagging system works the same but is manual and thus makes 1 check when you open it and like you say wipes when you die.

id be happy with that not with it being server run as it would be in your suggestion otherwise yeah the general idea aint bad IMHO