gibonez

Let's talk about heavy weapons

Why not have a 60mm mortar?  I mean you couldn't carry much else.  It's not going to help you against other players or hoards of zombies unless you were supporting some sort of clan operation.

The Mod had satchel charges, grenades, light machineguns, Ural army trucks, Hueys and Little Bird helicopters and no one seemed to mind.

In the future, why couldn't players craft a "technical" by attaching armor plating or heavy weapons to a jeep or pickup truck?

These items should all be rare or require extensive crafting or repairs.  We don't want Battlefield or COD, but we don't want everyone fighting with axes and Makarov pistols either.

Vehicle crafting should hopefully make it in.

Adding pieces of scrap metal for armor plating, attaching heavy machineguns or anti air guns in the rear of pick up trucks.

good god almighty. why don't we just be done with the whole f'kin thing and just have tactical nuclear warheads. you could fire one off from the island, obliterate each and every single thing on the map and then YOU WIN! FUCK YEAH! 

as long as you survive the radiation fallout.

The point is its supposed to be a survival game, where you have to struggle. If I want to run around in humvees and suvs mounted with miniguns and rockets I'd play Epoch or Wasteland, or fucking ARMA. I just don't get why people want this to become a combined arms combat simulator when the engine its built on already has that.

• Like 5

Definteley inaccurate and old soviet style mortars. Remember Far Cry 2? Loved the indirect fire possibilities and the two possible ammunitions: smoke rounds to aim and HE ones to attack enemies directly. I like the idea of shooting from 200 m distance towards a town with a smoke grenade and seeing all zeds around running to the smoke grenade without any clue where it came from. Mortars could also be mounted onto vehicles as it is done in asymmetric warfare. Maybe on pick ups.

I am interested in seeing more advanced weapons that come with harsh and unforgiving consequences. 

I expect to see $20,000 rifles become an albatross around the player's neck, requiring many rare pristine modular parts to even approach adequacy. I basically want to see a culture develop where most players will simply leave high tech military weapons on the ground for lack of desire to be committed in their upkeep. 

The idea of this is that the military are dead and gone. There are very few military grade weapons left and the few that are are either Carbines or DMR-grade rifles (maybe not even those)

Heavy weapons are most likely NEVER going to be in the game, Hell the heaviest we will probably get is a Hunting rifle, but that is just how chernarus is. 

I don't know about all of you but I'm perfectly content with that.

• Like 1

Please don't add them^^

I don't like the idea of western style military weapons or expensive western hunting rifles... why would they be in Chernarus? So also no high tech launchers, sniper rifles and so on. We could talk about some worn old RPGs, maybe heavily used AK47 in the barracks... and maybe very rare mortars. But due to being inaccurate, hard and complex to use, they won't be overpowered. I really do not even like the idea of western handguns... or the M4A1. Don't need it. Use some old WWII and I rifles, some east euopean and Warshaw Pact manufactured weapons and improvised weapons.

Also hope the devs will introduce more improvised attachments, maybe fixed with tape, completly done yourself. More recipes such as the sawn off shotgun. 

Also hope the devs will introduce more improvised attachments, maybe fixed with tape, completly done yourself. More recipes such as the sawn off shotgun. 

I've always wanted to be able to take a flashlight and duct tape it to the front of my Rifle XD

Edited by DannytheScoot
  • Like 1

I've always wanted to be able to take a flashlight and duct tape it to the front of my Rifle XD

yeah like that. Unlike the Bioshocks Weapon improvements or Dead islands crazy stuff but also kind of experimental. Maybe modify your baseball bat with nails or babed wire etc.

Definteley inaccurate and old soviet style mortars. Remember Far Cry 2? Loved the indirect fire possibilities and the two possible ammunitions: smoke rounds to aim and HE ones to attack enemies directly. I like the idea of shooting from 200 m distance towards a town with a smoke grenade and seeing all zeds around running to the smoke grenade without any clue where it came from. Mortars could also be mounted onto vehicles as it is done in asymmetric warfare. Maybe on pick ups.

That would be this.

AR_2B14-Podnos-82-mm-mortar.jpg

5148016513_9c74c7f815_o.jpg

82mm soviet/russian mortar system max range of 2.5 miles.

This would be a good option seeing as the 82mm mortar rounds would make for perfect IEDS.

Big enough to disable a vehicle on the road , small enough to not completely destroy it and everyone inside.

I don't see why everyone is saying go for realism but then disregards practically ever military weapon that would most likely be found at a military base... 

People say these types of weapons don't belong in dayz... but.. why? Why would an LMG or rocket launcher not belong? Because you don't want to die from it? Too bad. Get better at the game, get your own way to fight against these types of weapons (ie: distance, avoidance) or find a group to carry you. 

Why not have a 60mm mortar?  I mean you couldn't carry much else.  It's not going to help you against other players or hoards of zombies unless you were supporting some sort of clan operation.

The Mod had satchel charges, grenades, light machineguns, Ural army trucks, Hueys and Little Bird helicopters and no one seemed to mind.

In the future, why couldn't players craft a "technical" by attaching armor plating or heavy weapons to a jeep or pickup truck?

These items should all be rare or require extensive crafting or repairs.  We don't want Battlefield or COD, but we don't want everyone fighting with axes and Makarov pistols either.

Actually there's quite a few people on these forums that would love to see everyone fighting with melee weapons and pistols.. 

I don't see why everyone is saying go for realism but then disregards practically ever military weapon that would most likely be found at a military base... 

People say these types of weapons don't belong in dayz... but.. why? Why would an LMG or rocket launcher not belong? Because you don't want to die from it? Too bad. Get better at the game, get your own way to fight against these types of weapons (ie: distance, avoidance) or find a group to carry you. 

Or... Maybe you could get better at the game and kill people with conventional weapons rather than having to use AOE Damage and 200 round magazines with 1000RPM as a crutch? 

I've been a good player in BF3, Counter-Strike, and other FPS games.. I'm not afraid of dying to any weapon and I assure you I can get kills with any weapon as well if not better than the average person. That has no bearing on the fact that they don't belong in DayZ.

An EXTREMELY rare RPG with EXTREMELY rare ammo would be "okay", but odds are nobody would use it anyway, as it's extremely cumbersome and not practical for most engagements. Only time I could see one being viable is if you kept it in a tent/stash and only pulled it out when you knew you were going to need to destroy a vehicle/helicopter.

LMG's I have no problem with..

HMG's I have no problem with IF Helicopters are added and the HMG is attached to the Heli.

Mortars and other indirect fire weapons have no place in DayZ.

Sorry to break it to you people, but DayZ is not a fucking military simulator and it's not an Arcade style FPS.

Edited by Etherimp

My apologies, I felt it inappropriate as soon as i had posted it. Just get riled up when people insult marijuana

This thread is pretty lame but dude THAT was hilarious. :lol:  

Guns and cigarettes, thats all i need.

I would like ied's in the game.

Would hate to have rpgs in the game.

Would love to have lmg's and hmg's

Would hate to have high powered rifle like a .50 cal.

Basically heavy weapons are a good idea but they need to be well thought out. Good luck trying to please everyone rocket.

Wow, I didn't realize there was such a passionate hate around heavy weapons. While I agree with most of the .. disagreements regarding explosives. Everyone seems to forget that incase there would be a mortar in DayZ for example.. I could imagine the mortar shells being extremeley rare and the mortar itself needing maintenance. Not to mention a mortar source could be loud and sitting ontop of these things leaves you entirely vulnerable to weaponfire from other people.

I don't say I agree with the idea being put to life but yeah.. I think the game lacks the ability to intercept vehicles from time to time.. especially choppers. So something like a heavy machine gun could be a good thing to defend your stashes against people that are in possesion of a heli.

But yeah stuff like improvised bombs would be nice. IED's or molotovs. However, considering that explosive charges and usual grenades could be put back into the game would leave it a bit of an unnecessary addition.

If we're going to go into the "realism" aspect, gasoline becomes useless after 6 months to a year so we really shouldn't have vehicles. I see the arguments of both sides and actually agree with both... fortified positions would be made but on the flip-side, would they really have that sort of equipment? You can post pictures of Syrian rebels all you like but there's a massive infrastructure at work there even if they are a "rag-tag" force in comparison to the actual Syrian army... not to mention outside influences like arms dealers(U.S. and Russia). Cherno would have none of that. 

Basically, tl;dr, I don't know which ring to put my hat in for this debate lol. 

People also need to keep in mind the references Rocket makes when talking about the game... "The Road" being a major one, the bandits in that movie didn't have all that crazy armament. They were dirty and gross. 

Edited by Atheon

RPGs would be useless to carry around, but I didn't even think of a mortar. It could be pretty cool actually, but it would be a bitch to carry around and find when you don't need it so no...

theres already guns that basically one-three shot people at 150-800 yards away, i see why you would like for heavy weapons to be implemented however i think that what would end up happening is someone would take an M2 Machinegun, set it up on the coast and unleash fury upon fresh spawns.

edit:

explosive weaponry such as the mortar would also just destroy pvp imo, you are hiding behind cover and all of a sudden the house that you were just hiding in is gone

Edited by Timecharge

theres already guns that basically one-three shot people at 150-800 yards away, i see why you would like for heavy weapons to be implemented however i think that what would end up happening is someone would take an M2 Machinegun, set it up on the coast and unleash fury upon fresh spawns.

edit:

explosive weaponry such as the mortar would also just destroy pvp imo, you are hiding behind cover and all of a sudden the house that you were just hiding in is gone

Nothing would suddenly blow up. Those mortars take skill and time to set up, fire and adjust.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1