Sign in to follow this  
tester9000

Server Jumping

Server Jumping/hopping/farming the process of leaving a server after looting military equipment in the surrounding area and doing it again in another server, again and again.

The current system which was implemented not long ago is actually a small improvement but to some extent, it encourages more "server jumpers", especially from players abroad. I think it needs to be worked on.

Some ideas to discourage or further delay hoppers:
· A ten minute waiting penalty applied to players who stay in a server for more than one minute. If they decide to switch to a new server, the penalty will kick in and they now must wait ten minutes. This way, it doesn't penalise those who jump servers not to farm but because of other issues such as server stating it is daylight and even the time is indicated to be but isn't or misclicked when intended to join a server because a friend is in it., etc.
· Players are not able to join servers with more than 100ms. However, they can if a friend within said server sends them an invitation.
· Several areas of the map and some military installations are radiated which makes looting impossible without a gas mask and filter.

· Much more infected soldiers in and around military installations and they are stronger + faster. Even though they are wearing kevlar and helmet, it feels unrealistic they drop after a pistol bullet to the chest, like infected civilians.
· More one carries, the slower one moves. I once had a huge backpack filled with junk and was carrying an axe, pistol, and m4, sprinting to the next village along a friend and our speeds were very much the same when realistically, I should be x4 times slower or forced to take breaks in between. I kind wondered why they never implemented an exhausted status.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Backstory

I have been playing DayZ since its release and for a considerable amount of time, I hardly ever see players from abroad (easily determined by their massive latency/ping when checking the amount of players) until the patch that brought in "wait a few minutes before you can join a new server". These hoppers appear then disappear after 5-10mins. Two days ago, there was no one in the server but me so I was relatively safe, the server was quiet for an hour and later on, I stumbled on a military base near the beach and started looting. I got some decent equipment and a magnum but no ammo so I decided to head west, to the next military base which was closest, hoping to get some ammo for my revolver.

A little while later, people started showing up, all with high latency. There was about 4-6 people and as far as I remember, all had high ping; around 300. I had a gut feeling someone would be back at the military base I was at so I headed back, hoping to kill these foreigners to teach them not to steal from our soil. I had a wench so I was hoping to kill them by surprise. I got back but was too late--someone was here because some of the items I left behind was missing. Around 5 mins later, while I was running to the west one, all the players got replaced with new ones but fewer so I knew what was up--hoppers. Long story short, I ran through every damn military installation on the map and they've all been looted. Got shot once but survived. 4 hours in, there were over twenty-ish players, none of them stayed longer than 10 minutes.

Today I thought I'd try again n was successful-got some ammo for my gun but moments later, I heard footsteps nearby and immediately knew it was those foreigners: [China]Hao...something and [China]KA... something. There was only four people incl. me in the server at the time and the other guy was likely strolling the countryside. I quickly ran out of the building and immediately I was shot at. I didn't see the where they were but had a general idea and the shooting had two types of fire sounds--obviously 2 shooters. I got out of their sights but decided to flank instead of running away. I went around the building and saw both of them slowly moving towards the direction I was before I went out of their view. I popped out, fired several rounds but he didn't effin drop and then shot his partner immediately after. Next thing I knew, I died. If I shot an infected at that distance, it would've die instantly and I wouldn't miss. The magnum's condition at the time was pristine. I always have around 20-40ms. They had over 300. How the hell? This reminds me of an event that took place during the early days of the Dayz: One time I unloaded 60 bullets into the back of an armed survivor as he was coming up the stairs and when I was out of bullets, he turned around and shot me, I died. To this day, I don't know how that's possible. 60 bullets, his still alive, 2 bullets to me, i'm dead. I wasn't desyncing at the time and I always have around 20-40ms. Maybe people with high latency get an advantage.

I think there should be timer, how long player is on server. If player was less than X time on 2-3 servers durning Y peroid of time -> penatly break time.

Edited by TokumeiSennin
  • Like 1