Sign in to follow this  
bioned

is there a link that has all the signs labeled and explained?

well

as you guys may have noticed 

im not russian

or whatever language the signs are in

and im very new to the game so i have no idea where anything is

They really need to put english translated signs in the game.  It is bullshit not being able to read a fucking sign.

They really need to put english translated signs in the game. It is bullshit not being able to read a fucking sign.

Hardly. Being able to read it or no, just compare it to the map.

Anyway, it becomes moot after a bit of playing, as you learn to recognize the landscape.

Hardly. Being able to read it or no, just compare it to the map.

Anyway, it becomes moot after a bit of playing, as you learn to recognize the landscape.

No, we just need english translated signs.  It would be better to just read the fucking sign instead of having to tab out and look for the funky letters on the damn map to translate where you are or have to memorize the towns or landscape.

No, we just need english translated signs.  It would be better to just read the fucking sign instead of having to tab out and look for the funky letters on the damn map to translate where you are or have to memorize the towns or landscape.

Hello there my good man, you seem to forget that the map is not in America and is actually in/near Russia.

• Like 6

No there doesn't. It takes only a short time to become conversant in the limited number of place names within DayZ. Ignorance about anything outside ones own narrow nationalistic viewpoint is no excuse for outright xenophobia.

• Like 3

Hello there my good man, you seem to forget that the map is not in America and is actually in/near Russia.

You seem to forget that not everyone in America and other countries around the world can read Russian writing.  I don't care where the game takes place.  It makes sense to have town signs at the very least in something we can read.

No, we just need english translated signs. It would be better to just read the fucking sign instead of having to tab out and look for the funky letters on the damn map to translate where you are or have to memorize the towns or landscape.

A couple points. First, there is an in game map. You aren't forced to tab out. Second, memorization of the landscape isn't something you "have" to do, it's passive and comes with exposure to the map. I didn't pore over the map to get to this point, I merely played. Third, the game isn't set in an English nation, and the setting is a huge part of the game.

I think it adds to the immersion of the game... Seems more authentic. You have no idea where the hell you are, starving thirsty and cold, surrounded by zombies and hostile players.

Sounds fun!

It doesn't matter where the game takes place and good luck finding all of the map pieces before getting killed by some cock smoker  who kills on sight.  It doesn't help the immersion because people play the game from all over the world.  If anything it breaks immersion when you can't communicate with your friends over Ventrilo where the hell you are.

You seem to forget that not everyone in America and other countries around the world can read Russian writing.  I don't care where the game takes place.  It makes sense to have town signs at the very least in something we can read.

Well, then... seeing as Mandarin is the world's most spoken language... the signs should be in Chinese... good luck translating that, my good sir.

Edit:  :P

Edited by GafMast
  • Like 2

There is nothing wrong with wanting town signs to be in the native language of whatever country you are playing from.  

It doesn't matter where the game takes place and good luck finding all of the map pieces before getting killed by some cock smoker  who kills on sight.  It doesn't help the immersion because people play the game from all over the world.  If anything it breaks immersion when you can't communicate with your friends over Ventrilo where the hell you are.

Lets reverse the situation if the game was set in america how would you feel if russians demanded that they put russian translations on the signs so they could read them ??? would you find it immersive ??? or would you say its in america we dont have that on our signs???

• Like 2

When I find alternate languages in a form of media... I try and take an opportunity to learn a bit about a culture. Like, if it weren't fro STALKER I would not know how to say "Lower your weapon!" (Or maybe it's, "Get that fucking gun outta my face!") Still, I learned something and it actually came in handy meeting some Russians on an Arma 3 life server... kind of. I still had to kill them both

There is nothing wrong with wanting town signs to be in the native language of whatever country you are playing from.  

I suppose there is nothing wrong with wanting it... but to go and voice said wish on the INTERWEBS, especially such a seemingly classic "Ignorant American statement"... you're going to get some scrutiny. And... your wish shall NEVER come true, BTW... at least not until the game is open for modding. So, either learn to recognize the town names, or at the very least, learn how to recognize what area you're in... or there is the other option of never knowing where the hell you are... or not playing 

Lets reverse the situation if the game was set in america how would you feel if russians demanded that they put russian translations on the signs so they could read them ??? would you find it immersive ??? or would you say its in america we dont have that on our signs???

I see nothing wrong with having signs in Russian so they could actually read them.  You still have the atmosphere to be immersed in.

I suppose there is nothing wrong with wanting it... but to go and voice said wish on the INTERWEBS, especially such a seemingly classic "Ignorant American statement"... you're going to get some scrutiny. And... your wish shall NEVER come true, BTW... at least not until the game is open for modding. So, either learn to recognize the town names, or at the very least, learn how to recognize what area you're in... or there is the other option of never knowing where the hell you are... or not playing 

#1 - Eat a dick.

#2 - I have already learned the map and the important town signs.

#3 - It doesn't change the fact that it would be convenient for people to read the fucking signs.

#4 - Making comments about "ignorant American statements" is stupid because America is the most culturally diverse country in the world and you sound like some euro trash kid who blindly hates Americans.

Edited by Max Planck
Be better than that, please

I see nothing wrong with having signs in Russian so they could actually read them.  You still have the atmosphere to be immersed in.

Again... you are on the interwebs, buddy... and people from all over the world are going to be playing on various servers... there might even be two people playing on the server that HAVE NO CLUE how to speak the OTHERS  language... what a bunch of assholes... too good to learn the other's language...

Edit: I live in California

Edited by GafMast
  • Like 1

ah do you mean that all the signs would be in the language of the area the game is being played on eg in america you would have english in china mandarin etc etc if so then i guess it wouldnt be such a bad thing..

it would take time to redo the skins for every sign and then people would want the option to have the original signs( those knowing its in russia or near russia and expecting to see a world that reflects that.) but sure i have no hate on you being able to dumb the game down for your own immersion level.

Most people just get to know the places fairly well i mean it seems a big map but after a while it seems to small plus we all end up using nick names cherno electro stary novy etc etc but to each there own maybe the devs will spend the time to do that  i wouldnt be against it....

#1 No need to be rude, I was just pointing out the elephant in the room.

#2 *Slow clap

#3 This game is ALL about convenience... I know. That was the principal mechanic behind the initial brain storm sesh for the gameplay

#4 You may be wrong and you may be right... but I see America as little more than a culture of consumption, disgust, and waste... a land built on genocide for the wealthy... but what country has a different origin story? And what Country shall actually endure forever and not crumble under it's own weight? I am not "Anti-American" I am an anti nationalist. I live in California. but I am me... here... watch a short video to help you understand, better, what nationalism is all about.

• Like 2

Turn your "This should be in English/Russia muh immersion" into a different thread please.

Help the guy out, or settle it out in a PM instead of telling other users to 'Eat a dick'

Bro. If you can't stand not being able to read the signs in Russian, I don't think you have a clue about this game. It's not about convenience.

Knowledge of the game comes with playing the game. I've played the game for a long ass time, and I still don't know some of the names of the towns further north.  

I still know my way around to and from though.

Just got to memorize the map in your head man and remember significant landmarks.

Basic cyrillics.

A weird ass upside down square g is pronounced B

B is pronounced V

3 is pronounced C

H is pronounced N

Upside down W is pronounced M

Backwards b is pronounced d

And this is all you need to know.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 5