Sign in to follow this  
wuffi (DayZ)

Mosin useless if you try to learn long range sniping.

Ok today i finally got a long range scope for the first time.

So it was sniping time ;)

Unfortunately i put it on a mosin.

I mean dear devs how should someone learn to snipe when you don´t see the impact

of the bullet because of the reload of the mosin?

Of course i can zero my scope in between 200-800 meters.

But it really doesn´t help because of the simple fact i do not see

if my shot was too low or too high.

this is the stupid animation they added .. dean has asked the animator and apparently the animator said 'there's no problem' 

wtf does that mean..there's no problem.. i don't see where my bullets hit because your animation points my ass to the sky.. no problem?

do you even play the game? probably not

• Like 1

Am I being trolled?

Or are there really people worse at this game than I am?...

if you want to make test shots, just load one bullet at a time into the mosin. this way you're not automatically reloading and can see the impact

regards,

H

• Like 3

if you want to make test shots, just load one bullet at a time into the mosin. this way you're not automatically reloading and can see the impact

regards,

H

True but it would be nice to control the bolting eg doesnt bolt until you remove your finger off the right mouse button.. would have been easy to implement and well realistic i would have thought...

• Like 2

Thought if you held down the button you wouldn't reload right away.

Or was that just a suggestion?

True but it would be nice to control the bolting eg doesnt bolt until you remove your finger off the right mouse button.. would have been easy to implement and well realistic i would have thought...

yes! and actually this makes even more sense than the stupid hold breath button.

i mean there is no button for taking a dump or for swallowing the things you eat/chew.

the hold breath isnt even a realistic depiction of how real sharpshooters/riflemen do it...

they shoot in between their normal breathing rhythm (so breathe in - shot - breathe out.) or even ignore their breathing at all if it is flat enough.

no need to complicate this in a computer game. because it makes shooting more complicated than in real life.

edit: @OP by the way. you can see the impact for a short second, at least if u fire from proned position

Edited by Ovomaltine

Proned with bi-pod deployed is how I shoot. However, yesterday I had to shoot someone coming at me from about 200m whilst I was kneeling. The recoil was terrible but I did manage to see a glimpse of him hitting the dirt. 

What they need to do is make firing and using the bolt two separate actions so you can click once to fire, stay looking down the scope, then click again to chamber a new round, which can be done with or without looking down the sights or through the scope.

Edited by Mdogg2005
  • Like 2

Another solution:

Find a spotter.  That's how most long range snipers do it in real life.  

Applying real world logic to a video game.  I MUST be nutz. 

• Like 1

Another solution:

Find a spotter.  That's how most long range snipers do it in real life.  

Applying real world logic to a video game.  I MUST be nutz. 

While this does make sense, it wouldn't hurt at all to let us choose when to cycle the weapon. If it didn't happen until you released right-click it would make perfect sense.

• Like 3

What they need to do is make firing and using the bolt two separate actions so you can click once to fire, stay looking down the scope, then click again to chamber a new round, which can be done with or without looking down the sights or through the scope.

This. It works for Red Orchestra 2 / Rising storm. Actually "feels" a lot better as well as you can pop up, take a shot, crouch again, and pull the bolt.

• Like 2

"sniping"

When Dayz get sniping that is on par with ACE I will then consider it sniping.

It is currently childs play.

This. It works for Red Orchestra 2 / Rising storm. Actually "feels" a lot better as well as you can pop up, take a shot, crouch again, and pull the bolt.

Yeah RO2 is what got me thinking that this would be perfect for Standalone.

"sniping"

When Dayz get sniping that is on par with ACE I will then consider it sniping.

It is currently childs play.

Work in progress, but yeah I'm sure it'll be improved and probably be equal to or better than ACE.

Hello there

In Red Orchestra you can set your game NOT to auto rebolt so one has to do it manually. Not only is it more immersive it also aids you in target aquisition. Id like to see a similar mechanism in place.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Hello there

In Red Orchestra you can set your game NOT to auto rebolt so one has to do it manually. Not only is it more immersive it also aids you in target aquisition. Id like to see a similar mechanism in place.

Rgds

LoK

Well said.

Hello there

Rgds

LoK

Manual bolting in Red orchestra has to be some of the most satisfying mechanics in any fps ever.

Nothing beats laying your rifle out a window  zeroing your right sights to 300 for a distant target firing seeing your bullet hit then like a badass manually pressing left mouse button to eject and put in a new round.

• Like 2

Manual bolting in Red orchestra has to be some of the most satisfying mechanics in any fps ever.

Nothing beats laying your rifle out a window  zeroing your right sights to 300 for a distant target firing seeing your bullet hit then like a badass manually pressing left mouse button to eject and put in a new round.

Noobs don't realize you have to press ze LMB after shooting, not gonna get implemented :)

When the game launched the Mosin was worthless because you coudlnt see where your bullet landed.  They fixed it quickly after people complained.  Now its right back to square one lol.

That sound SO satisfying. I like it

Edited by Dorner

Ok today i finally got a long range scope for the first time.

So it was sniping time ;)

Unfortunately i put it on a mosin.

I mean dear devs how should someone learn to snipe when you don´t see the impact

of the bullet because of the reload of the mosin?

Of course i can zero my scope in between 200-800 meters.

But it really doesn´t help because of the simple fact i do not see

if my shot was too low or too high.

I am a stone. I do not move. Very slowly, I put snow in my mouth. Then he won't see my breath. I take my time. I let him come closer. I have only one bullet. I aim at his eye. Very gently, my finger presses on the trigger. I do not tremble. I have no fear. I'm a big boy now. Ready Vassili? Now, Vassili, fire!

Be a big boy.....

Edited by Ineedscoffee
  • Like 1