alleycat

Neutral safe zones that physically prevent combat

Let me put this nicely. If you watch the video where he is being an ass to people he gets unfriendly responses a lot more than any of the other videos. You seem to be under the impression very few people are friendly and I assume it is your experiences leading you to that conclusion. So..... If more people are friendly when he is friendly and less when he is a jerk... why are you having so many unfriendly responses? What are YOU putting out into the world and is it coming back to you? Because I too have run into about an equal amount of friendly and unfriendly in DayZ. 

I am always nice and ask people if they need food or drink if I have extra.  It doesn't matter.  Either I get shot without knowing where the shooter was, even when I have nothing more than a backpack, or the people pretend to be nice and kill me as soon as they find a weapon.

That is my experience with people when I have been a fresh spawn.  When I am geared I just suddenly get the "you are dead" screen.  NEVER any interaction from other people.

I would prefer to be robbed at gun point than just pointlessly killed.  Especially, if I have nothing more than a yellow raincoat and a crafted backpack.

I have run into nice strangers ONE time in DayZ in nearly 100 hours played and that was my very first character when I ran into a group of guys who were streaming and we had a dance party and just goofed around in town for a while.

I have empirical evidence that 99% of my encounters were hostile. And this depends on your gear and location.

Bahahah, do you even know what empirical evidence is?

Clearly not.

I would need to record each encounter for that, however basic logic backs my argument and I think most players would agree on this:

0 incentive to risk your gear to have friendly chat

every single reason to shoot on sight because you get loot and the guy you shot cant fight back

And you can extrapolate from that that 99% of encounters will be hostile

Sorry... but stop projecting  your OWN excuses for shooting people that make you feel less guilty about it on everyone else and except the fact that other players can and often will be friendly. Accept that you are an ass for shooting them and not even BOTHERING to try and be friendly. You don't need the safe zone, you can control your own trigger finger. I know it means opening up and taking a risk and doing that has lead to emotional pain in the past, but that is how we grow and become better people. We learn there are bad people out there and still take the risk. Since it isn't ACTUALLY killing you, it's safe to take this risk. 

• Like 1

And? So you are saying there are locations that are decidedly unfriendly. That implies there are locations where people are less hostile? Like those places encountered in the video? Yet you conclude that we need a location that won't allow weapons because people are unfriendly? How many times do I have to show you that friendly encounters ARE POSSIBLE without safe zones? Your whole premise is that you can't have friendly encounters without them. Really? Because I just showed you a BUNCH of friendly encoutners and your responce is, "Yeah.. well.. not if you are... um... in this area where really good loot spawns and people camp and snipe and KOS... Not in THAT area so that negates ANY freindly encounters... anywhere... No one has them because of this exception."

Real world analogy time:

Do you know why people do violent murdering in civil wars and not in stable countries? Because civil order collapses, and people have guns and no fear of consequences. Thats it. So yes, having a safe zone with a strong authority to enforce it (which abstractly would be a physical barried to fire guns) would make people behave and interact while they would shoot on sight if that authority is not present.

It is the same reason why kids do pranks when no one is looking or people speed on the highway when they think the cops are not watching

Logic fail loop

90% of players are not friendly because they got shot 100 million times when they first played ebcause the game fails to point out that you will get shot on sightall the time. It is advertised as "your story" implying you have these amazing survival choices like in a zombie movie or series. However what happens in actual zombie movies? Confused survivors holding on to what civilization they have, instantly meeting up and banding up with others, forming groups. And pyschopaths that use the breakdown as a way  to do what they want is a miniority.I do not think there is even a single zombie movie or series where 90% of people are savages that attempt to kill anyone they find.

"Your Story" applies to everyone. Meaning that everyone is free to choose what to do and how to do it within the game. 

Zombie movies are purpose-built narratives, they lack the random element of this game because they're one person or one group of people's perspective and narrative.

Also, almost every zombie movie and series tends to have human antagonists. With the zombies providing a backdrop/setting rather than being the primary antagonist.

I would need to record each encounter for that, however basic logic backs my argument and I think most players would agree on this:

0 incentive to risk your gear to have friendly chat

every single reason to shoot on sight because you get loot and the guy you shot cant fight back

And you can extrapolate from that that 99% of encounters will be hostile

Lol, really?

Logic, extrapolate, empirical.     Three words you need to look up in the dictionary.

I really can't help more than that.

Edit:  add analogy to the list.

Edited by Blotto

Real world analogy time:

Do you know why people do violent murdering in civil wars and not in stable countries? Because civil order collapses, and people have guns and no fear of consequences. Thats it. So yes, having a safe zone with a strong authority to enforce it (which abstractly would be a physical barried to fire guns) would make people behave and interact while they would shoot on sight if that authority is not present.

It is the same reason why kids do pranks when no one is looking or people speed on the highway when they think the cops are not watching

The whole point of an apocalyptic game is that civil order has collapsed.

If you want civil order in an apocalyptic game, (which is a contradictory idea in itself) Enforce it yourself.

If there are safezones we all know going there would be the most dangerous thing due to the ammount of players camping the limits

No different to travelling around the map as is, pretty scary getting to the Airfield's, pretty scary getting to the Military bases, even more so once you are inside them.  Why's that?  Cuz I can get shot whenever...  Once I'm inside the 'safezone' I can relax and chill.  I don't want to relax and chill, I wanna be nervous and have my arsehole taking chunks out of my pants.  Knowing I'm unsafe anywhere on the map does that to a tee!   

Sorry... but stop projecting  your OWN excuses for shooting people that make you feel less guilty about it on everyone else and except the fact that other players can and often will be friendly. Accept that you are an ass for shooting them and not even BOTHERING to try and be friendly. You don't need the safe zone, you can control your own trigger finger. I know it means opening up and taking a risk and doing that has lead to emotional pain in the past, but that is how we grow and become better people. We learn there are bad people out there and still take the risk. Since it isn't ACTUALLY killing you, it's safe to take this risk. 

Excuses? I am having fun shooting anything that crosses my path. Law of the jungle, you trip over my path and I got better guns = you dead. If you got better stuff, I run and hide.

Also would you guys stop trying to call me stupid? I used the words extrapolation and emprical correctly. And I can mop your tushies in COD/RO2/LD42/DAYZ/ARMA3 anyways.

Besides that I am a proud owner of most COD games and most DLCS. Trying to disqualify me from being a leet dayz player for that makes you look like idiots.

After all dayz is like a round of COD, but you got to run 6km to find a gun and the respawn times suck. At least I get kill streaks for all the kills in COD pffff

Edited by alleycat

Either I get shot without knowing where the shooter was, even when I have nothing more than a backpack, or the people pretend to be nice and kill me as soon as they find a weapon.

Welcome to DayZ. There are friendlies out there, we exist. Keep trying. I have the opposite results, about half the people I run into are Wary but not openly hostile. The other half are either silent or smack talk. 

I assure you. Safe Zones do not lead to more friendly encounters. I've played on Epoch servers with Safe Zones. They don't matter, what matters are the players. with or without safe zones it is the players in the end that make up friendly or non-friendly. Safe zones don't really even encourage friendly, at least not in my experiences. 

• Like 1

This whole thread can be solved without further banter.

OP go and make a poll, 2 options.

1 - Should there be safe zones in Dayz

2 - There should be no safe zones in Dayz

Nuff said

• Like 1

Excuses? I am having fun shooting anything that crosses my path. Law of the jungle, you trip over my path and I got better guns = you dead. If you got better stuff, I run and hide.

Well there you go. That's why you don't have friendly interactions.

Not because there aren't any safe zones.

• Like 1

Like I said. You can't trust yourself not to shoot people and project that behaviour onto all the rest of us. Guess what, we aren't all douchebags who shoot people on sight. That's you... your deal... stop assuming we are and trying to enforce something with a safe zone that you can be responsible enough to do all by yourself.

• Like 1

This whole thread can be solved without further banter.

OP go and make a poll, 2 options.

1 - Should there be safe zones in Dayz

2 - There should be no safe zones in Dayz

Nuff said

It doesn't work that way.  Especially, when majority of DayZ players don't even frequent the forums.  It is only going to end up being one-sided and in favor of the hardcore players who believe that anything that could possibly get in their way of killing defenseless people is bad for the game.

• Like 1

Well there you go. That's why you don't have friendly interactions.

Not because there aren't any safe zones.

Yeah... he doesn't get it. It's okay... He will just continue to project his behaviours onto others and accuse them of being the same as him so that he doesn't have accept responsibility for his own actions and how they affect his interactions with others. 

The truth of the matter is I don't need safe zones to have friendly interactions. Ergo it is not impossible, but the OP wants to say it is because his own actions make it impossible for HIM. Obviously he couldn't be mistaken about his approach to the game so it must be a problem with the game and everyone else. 

• Like 1

Really not a good idea honestly.  Either PVP is disabled across the server or it's not.  If it's disabled in 'safe zones' then snipers will just sit outside the zone and wait for you to cross an imaginary boundary and shoot you then.

• Like 1

It doesn't work that way.  Especially, when majority of DayZ players don't even frequent the forums.  It is only going to end up being one-sided and in favor of the hardcore players who believe that anything that could possibly get in their way of killing defenseless people is bad for the game.

You just owned Blotto on the empirical evidence thing.

yay the reasonable people cavalry arrived.

Edited by alleycat

Ehem... I have killed 1 person in DayZ:SA since it started. 1... self defense, he had a Mosin and I had an Axe. He kept pointing the Mosin at me and wouldn't respond. Turns out he didn't have any ammo, but it was still self defense. This would be:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

• Like 1

so your not willing to have a good interaction to make something you want in the game .. Question then why you posting??? its not a bad idea to make a safe zone its a good idea just the thing is the devs arent going to do it so its up to the players that want it to do it!! some of the best fun i had in the mod was doing just that thing making and protecting a player made safe zone..

PLAYER MADE SAFE ZONE its the only SAFE ZONE  we will get .... id like a safe place to trade to meet peoplei just know WE HAVE TO MAKE IT.. you dont want to make thats fine just dont complain if there isnt one make sense???

Sure, but I never expressed desire for a safe zone of any kind.  Never complained about anything.  Except people hammering the OP's idea.

I don't care if there's a safe zone, or not.   Don't care what the devs do.

Ehem... I have killed 1 person in DayZ:SA since it started. 1... self defense, he had a Mosin and I had an Axe. He kept pointing the Mosin at me and wouldn't respond. Turns out he didn't have any ammo, but it was still self defense. This would be:

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

You say I make ad-hominem attacks then make one yourself.  Bravo.

Edited by OR3GONIZ3D

You say I make ad-hominem attacks then make one yourself.  Bravo.

Where did he make an Ad-hominem attack? In stating that you made one?

Also would you guys stop trying to call me stupid?

I've never called or implied your were stupid... insecure and overcompensating, maybe.... You listing a bunch of games you probably can and would beat me in isn't helping you not look that way.