Sign in to follow this  
res

I hope vehicles will be rare - A video I made so you can compare

Now, yesterday as I was messing with the Arma 3 Editor, I had an idea, I got the Chernarus map in Arma 3 so I started trying vehicles.

It felt really great to drive around Chernarus after running for about 125 hours in Standalone. But after I made some test, I started getting really worried.

Driving around in a vehicle made me realise that it makes the map really little, so I made a video, driving from Solnichniy to Balota so you can compare it with your travels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Fror4ZhaGQ

It takes 5:36 minutes to get from one point to another.

I really hope vehicles are really rare and need to be repaired in DayZ. I can tell you, you miss A LOT of stuff and map details if you go vehicle only, which for me, ruins the unique DayZ experience of travelling lots of hours.

If you want me do drive any other distance from one point to another in Chernarus with the vehicles you can just ask me here and I'll post the results in this thread.

That SUV will probably be included in DayZ as it is a civilian vehicle and DayZ reuses some Arma 3 objects like these:

ptqe.jpg

md1z.jpg

uutt.jpg

But also, vehicles will give us lots of other creative possibilities. More storage space. Imagine if we players organise races and the group with the racer who wins gets a bag filled with supplies.

• Like 4

I know what you mean however in the other mods like dayZ breaking point and epoc they were not that rare and it was still great, you had teams operating on the servers moving around so it still worked really well.
In the SA remember the new northern parts of the map so it will add to the drive.

I would like to see vehicles all over the map but make them complicated to repair and the parts to repair few and far between and as I understand Dean wants to add complicated mechanics so you can pull parts off other cars etc...
So I do think cars should be fruitful but they are all busted to hell and you really have to work on repairing them.
With the above mechanic I mentioned you could have multiple people trying to repair one vehicle and another stripping it for parts while they are away and someone also camping it waiting for it to get fixed.

Also add the American muscle cars that have terrible mileage and make them eat fuel like there is no tomorrow, that would add another complexity.

Edited by deus_drone
  • Like 4

This is such an easy fix, that I really don't know why anyone would be worried about it. You make fuel rare. Cars can be all over the dang place, but if you make fuel rare, people won't waste it cruising the map.

Even so, I'm fairly certain it is already confirmed that they'll use a repair system.

• Like 2

imo cars could be lots on the map but only if it possible to make them go slow ofroad. In A3 you can get almost 100km/h every were and it does not mattar you are on road or not.

• Like 3

I would imagine it would be pretty hilarious if you ran into just one person and they shot your tires out going at that speed. Even in the mod you had to find pieces for the cars to be in working order again. 

• Like 2

The big thing they need to solve is how groups can get together more quickly than is currently possible in the game. Vehicles can be a means, but depending on how they do bases, that could also be a possibility. The problem right now is that you never know where other people you might want to play with will be when you log in, so if you don't have many hours to play, you are effectively stuck solo or spending your whole session just walking to the other person, at which point, you do it all over the next day.

If vehicles are going to be the way for this, they need to be somewhat accessible. Otherwise, I'd suggest maybe with bases, if you log out for more than X hours, you can choose to spawn in at base (as the whole realism thing is kind of lost when magically popping into a location anyway and the only real exploit would be if you could pop across the map in less time than it would take to walk by quickly logging out and back in, which is why the X hours suggestion).

• Like 1

They could choose to add cars with poor performance or different types of fuel octanes so if the fuel is too shit.... Good luck emptying the fuel tank and refilling LOL

It is like 6months-12 months for 91 Octane fuel to turn shit so it would be expected.

• Like 1

I can think of many ways to make vehicles work without ruining the game.  You are worried about nothing.

I would imagine it would be pretty hilarious if you ran into just one person and they shot your tires out going at that speed. Even in the mod you had to find pieces for the cars to be in working order again. 

Yeah, If I was playing online in a full hi-pop server there would be more than one military vehicle with a gunner camping the road.

Have you played the mod? If yes, then you should know that vehicles make it that more fun. Yes it makes you travel faster, and maybe skip alot of stuff/loot, but that's just positive for the next couple of lads trying to loot that spot you missed. But being picked up by strangers on the coast, just to find out they want to kidnap you when you're inside their car is just priceless.

Like the others point out, fuel must be somewhat rare to find, even though I think gas stations should let you refuel anyway. (Edit: Maybe not even gas stations just to make fuel that more rare)

But no vehicles should spawn "pristine". You should at least work for it to make vehicles work. Fix tires, fix engine parts etc etc. Just like the mod, just better. :)

But really, I have no doubt the dev team would want every survivor cruising around the map in vehicles anyway, so I see no reason to worry.

:beans:

Edited by TheUnknownDane

Yes, I have to agree, there should be a lot of cars, but a rarity of parts, so while there might be say 200 cars total, realistically there would only be around 10 functional ones at any given time (possibly more with hard work and LOTS of scavenging).  I'm not saying there should be 50 Camo UAZs or Armored SUVs per server, I'm talking that the majority of cars should be civilian (Skodas and the like) and you'd most likely get one working car by salvaging parts form many other cars (of the same model).

LOL yeah i wouldnt worry to much BP for arma 3 uses alot of vehicles but the repair aspect makes them get hard to get going in the first place then add to that the tire damage that non 4x4 vehicles in the mod take for going off road makes you stick to the roads....

When ya stick to the roads you get shot at again damaging and in some cases ruining the car /causing your death..

Im sure the devs will make a far better system than BP's( well i hope so ) so i am not to worried they will be op and make the map ubber small..

• Like 1

1. You drive on the wrong side of the road :)

2. People will probably turn any moving car into swiss cheese.

3. I HOPE they won't make it this easy to drive offroad at top speed.

On a sidenote, if you hit anything immoveable at this speed anyone in the vehicle should probably die on impact.

1. You drive on the wrong side of the road :)

2. People will probably turn any moving car into swiss cheese.

3. I HOPE they won't make it this easy to drive offroad at top speed.

On a sidenote, if you hit anything immoveable at this speed anyone in the vehicle should probably die on impact.

You do die if you crash at a really fast speed. And it's the zombie apocalypse, who cares about driving rules anymore? SUV+Skrewdriver is all I need to survive russian zombie apocalypse.

You do die if you crash at a really fast speed. And it's the zombie apocalypse, who cares about driving rules anymore? SUV+Skrewdriver is all I need to survive russian zombie apocalypse.

You say that until you embed yourself in another car driving equally fast in the opposite direction :)

SUV+Skrewdriver is all I need to survive russian zombie apocalypse.

That's a poor use of the fresh oranges in the zombie apocalypse, but a good use of rotten oranges to make vodka!  You probably won't be driving too well drunk either.

...isn`t it the point of a motorized vehicle? That you can travel faster than on foot or horse?

And if no cars - how will "your" endgame scenario look like? Guided walking-tours in the north?

Edited by bonsai
  • Like 2

That's a poor use of the fresh oranges in the zombie apocalypse, but a good use of rotten oranges to make vodka!  You probably won't be driving too well drunk either.

Unfortunately I think he was talking about the neonazi skinhead band.

I dont think DayZ is going to have 'pristine' Suv's. And if it does, its most likely going to be a group effort and take a lot of time to get it going. Than it can still get wrecked just as easy as anything else.

Also 200+kph, all someone needs to do is put a rock around a corner and your going to wreak it.

Easy way to make it more difficult to repair a car.

You need to have the correct tool to fix every part of your car :

To repair a wheel, you need a tire, a rim and some nut to be able to fix it. With that you need of course to get this :

croix.jpg

Also you must need to check the pressure of the wheel, and if you have a hole in it, there is some foam to fix it.

To fix the glass, you don't need much, just the glass, some glue thing to make it stand still.

For the engine, you need this clef-anglaise-01.jpg with some small part (if you want to add more challenge, you can require some piston too.

For the fuel tank part, if there is a leak in it, you can try to make a quick home made fix with a bubble gum chewed ^^.. or some special hole fix.

And to fix the hule, well, I would say that you can just find any metal plate anywhere, with some nail and stuff ..

And of course, if your component are in pristine, your car will be 100% healthy, otherwise, your engine might overheat or your wheel fall off ^^

With all of this, you must think before going in cherno by car, and maybe try to make people aim better on the driver because they know that the car is a pain in the ass to fix.

• Like 1

Well that was fast driving, in SA there is zombies on road and freshspawns on road and not forget immortal bunnies on road. So if you could drive car in SA you would be in danger all time. Imo there can be lot of cars for making roadblocks or drivebys but mainly it would just attract zombies, snipers and warn stealth guys that somebody is coming. 

As long as I can drive something like this through Chernarus, I will be a happy camper.

2012_John_Deere_M-Gator_A1_397730.jpg

• Like 1

I've been saying what OP has been saying forever now.

The map is not large enough for vehicles.

Besides, what is this? Watered down GTA?!

The only vehicles I would personally approve of, and find fitting to the game, is:

1: Mountain Bicycle - About 2x runspeed. Uses less energy than running. All-terrain use.

2: Rollerblades/Rollerskates/Skateboard - Road use only, Uses same or slightly less energy than running. Roughly 3x running speed.

Apart from that, I MIGHT be convinced towards a hang-glider than can be used to, say, travel from Green Mountain/Devil's Castle, at reasonable speed. Gotta say though, that landing it should be very hard and have a very high chance of broken legs/arms/death if landed incorrectly.

But I stand firm that cars, trucks, planes of any sort, or any vehicle that requires fuel should be a massive no-go for DayZ.

I've been saying what OP has been saying forever now.

The map is not large enough for vehicles.

Besides, what is this? Watered down GTA?!

The only vehicles I would personally approve of, and find fitting to the game, is:

1: Mountain Bicycle - About 2x runspeed. Uses less energy than running. All-terrain use.

2: Rollerblades/Rollerskates/Skateboard - Road use only, Uses same or slightly less energy than running. Roughly 3x running speed.

Apart from that, I MIGHT be convinced towards a hang-glider than can be used to, say, travel from Green Mountain/Devil's Castle, at reasonable speed. Gotta say though, that landing it should be very hard and have a very high chance of broken legs/arms/death if landed incorrectly.

But I stand firm that cars, trucks, planes of any sort, or any vehicle that requires fuel should be a massive no-go for DayZ.

I strongly disagree. You are looking at this from the wrong perspective. In his video he had a BRAND NEW 2000 SUV. He was doing 200kph. He did not have to maintain it, store it, fuel it, or repair it.

This type of item would attract a lot of attention from zombies and players alike. People would try to steal it, steal from it, or blow it up.

You would not be able to drive at that clip even if you had the vehicle, because he would hit another vehicle on the road, look at how he could hardly negotiate a turn.

We most likely will not be seeing dozens of brand new suped up all wheel drives. This will not be GTA.

You should expect something more like this.

168717-libya-vehicles-of-war.jpg

Edited by Judopunch
  • Like 8