Highlander007

How to zero in with mosin when bolting takes eye off target?

I like the suggestion to manually bolt back. But, as im sure people have told you, a spotter helps a LOT, in this game.

The manual bolting, the free aim ( how your weapon moves around the screen without you turning your head exactly how it would if you aimed a weapon in real life ) .

The bold part is a thing you can turn on, it's called aiming deadzone or something along those lines.

Or it was in the mod any ways, I can't confirm it's in the SA but I think I saw people mention it is.

It's called get a damn friend. Snipers are usually paired with another sniper or support for a reason. They spot for each other, and cover each other. Very rarely do snipers get deployed on their own. Me and a good friend do this for each other. We roll with SKS' with PU scopes, or iron sights to really test ourselves. Alternate shots, give proper corrections, and watch targets drop. And if we have another person with us, they usually carry a mosin with a LRS to cover anything about 300m 

• Like 1

Totally awesome, completely irrelevant story in regards to what the OP is talking about guy.

• Like 1

The bold part is a thing you can turn on, it's called aiming deadzone or something along those lines.

Or it was in the mod any ways, I can't confirm it's in the SA but I think I saw people mention it is.

Think it is gone. Operation flashpoint was the first game to sorta have free aim but that was only the cursor not when aiming down sights.

It's called get a damn friend. Snipers are usually paired with another sniper or support for a reason. They spot for each other, and cover each other. Very rarely do snipers get deployed on their own. Me and a good friend do this for each other. We roll with SKS' with PU scopes, or iron sights to really test ourselves. Alternate shots, give proper corrections, and watch targets drop. And if we have another person with us, they usually carry a mosin with a LRS to cover anything about 300m 

thats the way to do it!

Oooh, look at that, the kids are complaining that the recoil on their .30 WW2 rifle is too high, how funny is that?

If you cant bear the kick that the little mosin packs, go back to your COD ghosts or whatever, shooting your .50 while standing and shit.

As i said before: The recoil isnt even matched with the IRL one right now, mosin should kick even more.

Post some videos of you hitting targets at 800 meters with a mosin nagant without a spotter here and i will change my mind... OH WAIT you cant hit shit past 400 meters with an almost 100 years old rifle.

Edited by lipemr

try sighting your weapon by shooting at something solid in the range you wish to shoot at ( i know not perfect as many wish the open ground shot) but it leaves a bullet mark  and then you can see if you were high or low on your ranging.

A spotter is the best way (hence it is the most often used method in real life field sniping) but id love to have manula bolt action ( even just holding trigger down to stop you auto reloading taking eyes of target ...)

I am not having to many troubles shooting at range at the moment..

You don't know what you're talking about. Even snipers in military are in most cases alone. Only the ones with high caliber sniper rifles like .50 cals should have a spotter due to high recoil and etc.I'm a hunter tho, with a  rifle that needs an option of manual bolting..like in real life, you know, RL

You don't know what you're talking about. Even snipers in military are in most cases alone. Only the ones with high caliber sniper rifles like .50 cals should have a spotter due to high recoil and etc.I'm a hunter tho, with a  rifle that needs an option of manual bolting..like in real life, you know, RL

Military snipers from the US, UK, and other countries that adopt their military doctrine are typically deployed in two-man sniper teams consisting of a shooter and spotter.[5] A common practice is for a shooter and a spotter to take turns in order to avoid eye fatigue.[4] In most recent combat operations occurring in large densely populated towns such as Fallujah, Iraq, two teams would be deployed together to increase their security and effectiveness in an urban environment. A sniper team would be armed with their long range weapon, and a shorter ranged weapon to engage and protect the team should enemies come in close contact. German doctrine of largely independent snipers and emphasis on concealment developed during the Second World War have been most influential on modern sniper tactics, currently used throughout Western militaries (examples are specialized camouflage clothing, concealment in terrain and emphasis on coup d'œil).[6][7][8]

EDIT: Source.

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 3

Oooh, look at that, the kids are complaining that the recoil on their .30 WW2 rifle is too high, how funny is that?

If you cant bear the kick that the little mosin packs, go back to your COD ghosts or whatever, shooting your .50 while standing and shit.

As i said before: The recoil isnt even matched with the IRL one right now, mosin should kick even more.

Post some videos of you hitting targets at 800 meters with a mosin nagant without a spotter here and i will change my mind... OH WAIT you cant hit shit past 400 meters with an almost 100 years old rifle.

Idiot, all I wanna do is see where I hit after I shoot. Not complaining about the recoil.

Yeah okay because it's not a very smart reliable choice to send a 2 man team to ensure the job gets done effectively with no casualties eh?  Do you even read what you type? The spotters job is to provide correction so the sniper just has to aim and shoot at long ranges, not to mention provide information on wind speed and direction, and help calculate the bullet drop over a long distance.

Yeah okay because it's not a very smart reliable choice to send a 2 man team to ensure the job gets done effectively with no casualties eh?  Do you even read what you type? The spotters job is to provide correction so the sniper just has to aim and shoot at long ranges, not to mention provide information on wind speed and direction, and help calculate the bullet drop over a long distance.

No one is alone in the trenches. I was talking about special teams of snipers with a trained spotter, with a range finder and anemometer. 

And all that shit doesn't even apply to a WW2 rifle that was shot by a ''one mean team''.and so is the case nowdays.

Instead of bitching at me for noticing a flaw in the game currently, where I can't see where my bullet hit because of automatic bolting, you should stfu and go do something productive with your life.

Dayz should borrow alot from red orchestra.

The manual bolting, the free aim ( how your weapon moves around the screen without you turning your head exactly how it would if you aimed a weapon in real life ) .

Arma 2 has aiming dead zone. The option is disabled in standalone, I can move the slider in the options, but it does nothing. 

But it's there. So, we could say it's already ingame.. just turned off. >_>

This new patch totally screwed me as far as sniping goes. I wanna practice a distance shot on some zombies but each bolting is a whole move where I can't tell where my bullet hit... What do?

Since the patch it seems there is a little more sway and movement with the mosin, even when prone with a bipod holding your breath.

The kick has also increased, but i think it needed to be. 

That being said, to see the impact of your rounds, I'm guessing your Field of View is all the way in so u can see as far as possible.

If i remember right take your FoV to the middle or farther out, and the effect of the kick will be less. You can see where your rounds are impacting at least while u practice.

No one is alone in the trenches. I was talking about special teams of snipers with a trained spotter, with a range finder and anemometer. 

And all that shit doesn't even apply to a WW2 rifle that was shot by a ''one mean team''.and so is the case nowdays.

Instead of bitching at me for noticing a flaw in the game currently, where I can't see where my bullet hit because of automatic bolting, you should stfu and go do something productive with your life.

No need to get your panties in a bunch bro. Automatic re-chambering isn't a flaw in the first place. And 2nd I wasn't "bitching" at you about you "finding a flaw." Get over yourself. 

Automatic re-chambering isn't a flaw in the first place. And 2nd I wasn't "bitching" at you about you "finding a flaw." Get over yourself. 

This game has the least intelligent playerbase ...ever

Edited by Highlander007

This game has the least intelligent playerbase ...ever

You're not doing yourself any favours either.

It's a fucking flaw, it's not realistic, it needs to be changed and probably will. Not thanks to the mouthbreathers in this thread tho.

Also, the animation of chambering just one bullet at a time is giving a sequence of a full reload. Fix that shit too.

There is a suggestion forum. This is general. Wrong place guy.

Idiot, all I wanna do is see where I hit after I shoot. Not complaining about the recoil.

Shoot a .30 with an high powered scope and tell me if you can see where your bullet hits.

The idiot here is you.

the auto chambering animation isnt even relevant, you wouldnt be able to see where bullet lands with the weapon recoil anyway.

So stop bitching about how sniping people from 600 meters away just got harder and learn to fucking play.

Edited by lipemr

It may be harsh be he's been asking for DayZ to be RO2 from day 1.  If you want RO2 then go play RO2.(Not directed at you)

no he asked to use some of the fine working mechanics in DayZ. That's all he asked for.

Ya attempting any shot over like 500m is a bit ridiculous at the moment, especially if you first shot doesn't land because it practically impossible to see where you hit without a spotter

Ya attempting any shot over like 500m is a bit ridiculous at the moment, especially if you first shot doesn't land because it practically impossible to see where you hit without a spotter

Maybe thats sort of the point. Im sure the mosin will end up being one of the entry level snipers, maybe they trying to make it suit that role better. Or even encourage teamwork. We could get something like an SVD later with better handling :)

• Like 3