Sign in to follow this  
Nurrvillian

marking friendlies

I think we should be able to mark friendlies in the game if you meet someone you should be able to place a distinguishing marker on them to know they are your mate now I know I can see the comments already "that's not real" and so on and that maybe true but think about it in real life 15 people out a total 40 alive aren't dressed identically and the same height and weight are they so you can't recognize friend over stranger or even foe, everyone remembers what their friends look like and that shouldn't be any different just because people look the same .

I'm not saying you need to add nameplates or anything maybe just a notification similar to the I feel hungry prompt something like " I have met this person before" or " I know this man/woman" but if course you would have to have actually met them in game and marked them as your friend or another known person.

This would help stop team mates killing each other because instead of turning a corner to find a man raiding a body you turn the corner to a message on the screen saying your friend is close and there fore not shoot so often

• Like 2

i disagree with this, this will remove the challenge of identifying players, to know it its a friend or another guy.

Edited by DMentMan

i disagree with this, this will remove the challenge of identifying players, to know it its a friend or another guy.

^This.

Pretty much negates the need for proper communication, which is not what DayZ is about.

• Like 2

Although I do eventually see dayz going in a facial recognition system somehow, I do unfortunately agree that this would be a bad decision at this point . If the devs ever somehow make it so you can customize your face any way you like , then this problem wouldn't arise cuz you could just remember your friends faces like in real life , but for now this like said above would destroy realism of communication .

If you make even the smallest indicator for a friendly player from a distance, everyone is gonna mark everyone on the server friendly and just scan the treeline.. Ahh, DayZ mod.

How many times have we read "... then a guy dress just like my friend ran up and shot me, i didnt realize he had shot my friend already".. im at about 3 times so far... kind of shows a "friendly" stance towards another player might allow someone to know in what direction their friends are (team numbers perhaps?) .. not everyone can scream loudly on their mic at 4 am in the morning (without waking their housemates) :o

I don't disagree with this completely. In real life, you would be able to identify people you know better (not counting their face) because of the way they move and body shapes, or are dressed. since clothing is limited and all body sizes and animations are the same, it is very unrealistic (not that much can be done about it). So I am not against a simple, low key way to identify friends, at least at close range. But it shouldn't be something too obvious.

• Like 2

I don't disagree with this completely. In real life, you would be able to identify people you know better (not counting their face) because of the way they move and body shapes, or are dressed. since clothing is limited and all body sizes and animations are the same, it is very unrealistic (not that much can be done about it). So I am not against a simple, low key way to identify friends, at least at close range. But it shouldn't be something too obvious.

Thank you Magnetic Toast This is my point we need a way to recognize players not from a distance of 1km but form across a field or over the street and only very subtle notifications. You notice the difference between your RL friends because of personality differences that cause things like walking style, posture, and gesturing aswell as speech patterns the list goes on these things you cannot notice in this game for obvious reasons and even if facial recognition is introduced you will only barely be able to tell the difference because of the restricted clothing options. that why you need to have an actual conversation with the person to mark them as a friendly not just see them sitting acroos the airfield in Balota and mark them off so you know where they are at all times that's not how my proposed system works