munsterthunder@gmail.com

Worth getting Arma II: CO?

So recently, Dayz has sparked my interested and a lot of my friends have told me to get it. But I don't have Arma II or OA, so I'm still considering to buy Arma II: CO, but I wanted to know: Is it truely worth it? I played Arma II: Free, and it's hard for me to get in with the realistic military scenario and the controls. I love the military aspect, but is Dayz worth the $30 if I end up disliking the unmodded version?

Another question, I don't have a mic, so will it affect my experience?

Maybe a guide to Arma II/Dayz would be great. I appreciate any help.

Thanks.

All I can say is I had similar reservations when I bought "CO" and I don't regret the purchase one iota.

Even if I hadn't like vanilla Arma II (which I did) it would have been worth it.

Obviously try and do a bit of research first before you buy, watch some vids, Here's a link to the videos that convinced me to buy

oh and keep an eye out on steam for arma X (arma 2 with all the mods) its often on sale for less that CO

You don't even need to by CO. OA is enough, as it is possible to play it combined with Arma II: Free.

You don't even need to by CO. OA is enough' date=' as it is possible to play it combined with Arma II: Free.

[/quote']

It's possible, but looks like shit. Believe me, this is how I play and I regret not buying CO, so much so I'm thinking of spending the extra £15 at the start of the month just for the textures, they make a massive difference.

You don't even need to by CO. OA is enough' date=' as it is possible to play it combined with Arma II: Free.

[/quote']

It's possible, but looks like shit. Believe me, this is how I play and I regret not buying CO, so much so I'm thinking of spending the extra £15 at the start of the month just for the textures, they make a massive difference.

Derp question but where are these high res textures people talk about? Are they included in the DLC like PMC etc? If so I've had them for like a year already

It's possible' date=' but looks like shit.

[/quote']

He's right, i have it this way. Sometimes, when i am mildly disappointed by the engine i go back to youtube and watch how all the spoilt CoD-kids are playing this. :P

Remember: Arma2 Free + OA is for real men, high res is for wussies

Another question' date=' I don't have a mic, so will it affect my experience?

[/quote']

Uuuh. Hard to tell. It's very seldom that direct communication has an effect. But my best ingame moments were with strangers and direct comms.

That being said: The game is best played as a team, with friends you know or friends you meet in game. You will want to use skype or teamspeak. So at the end: You should buy a headset. Yes a headset, because otherwise you will get feedback from your speakers. And don't buy too cheap. Look for a good headset which is on sale, sometimes you will find 50EUR (~60$) headsets for 15EUR (~18$) and they are very well worth their investment.

[/quote']

Derp question but where are these high res textures people talk about? Are they included in the DLC like PMC etc? If so I've had them for like a year already

They are included in the full version of ArmA 2. They remove the HD textures along with the campaign for the free version. Sadly the only way you can get these HD textures is to purchase the full game for £15. I'd gladly buy them if they were sold separately at a much reduced price, I have no interest in the campaign what so ever, I simply want my DayZ game time to look as good as it can.

Also there is talk that the HD character textures are from the various DLC that was released for ArmA 2 but I'm not sure. I know HD textures for the world itself comes from the full version of ArmA 2.

What I'm wondering is...Ive got Arma 2 the DVD version and if I buy OA on steam would it still work?

What I'm wondering is...Ive got Arma 2 the DVD version and if I buy OA on steam would it still work?

Yes.