Sign in to follow this  
Danhell

Using the Superior Ammo that was MADE for the Mosin

So ive noticed the mosin in game chambers a 7.62x51mm round (.308). Any gun enthusiast that owns a mosin (excluding ones who actually care about the availability of ammo at walmart) use the 7.62x54R round because its bigger and way more badass. Maybe have the 51's still available and the 54R chambering ones more rare? more blood damage?  Also the 7.62x51mm rounds only say their second dimension when theyre in the box otherwise they appear as just plain 7.62 bullets which can be a bit confusing if you havent had oodles of time to drop into the standalone.

To conclude the cartridge is also the longest used bullet in service to this day just recently passing the 120 year mark.

I bet you can guess which one it is in the picturepost-194135-0-33934600-1391960864_thumb. 

(Shouldve specified)

left 54R         right 51

This should be fixed.

With surplus ammunition, which is what is used in the game, I would not say it is superior; standard military bullet weights and velocities are extremely similar, 148 gr at ca. 2800 fps for the 7.62x54R, 147 gr at ca. 2800 fps for the 7.62x51mm, +/- a few grains and fps they are almost identical in terms of "power". And one is a much more modern and efficient design.

54r is WAY more common in Post-Soviet states that x51, i just don't get it

Bulgaria here. You can literally shovel them, we have so many.

• Like 3

Bulgaria here. You can literally shovel them, we have so many.

yea i get my milsurp rounds usually from Bulgaria or Turkey, also it would be cool if they could add in the corrosive primer milsurp rounds, because thats usually all i can get my hands on. Just takes more gun maintenance i think it would make the weapon cleaning kits more useful too and if any guns firing pin gets too far gone the guns should slame fire upon being loaded and cocked.  Glad a few people like my suggestion i didn't think too many people would understand i just love the 54R cartridge and its history albeit similiar to the 51mm round its been in service so long it deserves to be in the game

This should be fixed.

With surplus ammunition, which is what is used in the game, I would not say it is superior; standard military bullet weights and velocities are extremely similar, 148 gr at ca. 2800 fps for the 7.62x54R, 147 gr at ca. 2800 fps for the 7.62x51mm, +/- a few grains and fps they are almost identical in terms of "power". And one is a much more modern and efficient design.

didnt really read this over before my previous reply bro, but the 147 grain 51mm's have a velocity of 2730fps to 2430 ft lbs of energy where as the 54R ammunition has a MINIMUM of 150gr not 147. producing 2840fps velocity as well as 2677 ft lbs of energy. Ergo moar stoppin powah. (also my first time being told anything about guns by a brony)

didnt really read this over before my previous reply bro, but the 147 grain 51mm's have a velocity of 2730fps to 2430 ft lbs of energy where as the 54R ammunition has a MINIMUM of 150gr not 147. producing 2840fps velocity as well as 2677 ft lbs of energy. Ergo moar stoppin powah. (also my first time being told anything about guns by a brony)

Nope

The velocity of 7.62x51mm M80 ball is specified as 2,750 ft/s at 78 feet per TM 43-0001-27

The velocity of 7.62x54R LPS ball is specified as 820-835 m/s at 25 meters (or at the muzzle depending on source)

From TM 43-0001-27

cWnG3Gd.png

From Soviet Army manuals

GyJaNHJ.png

That would mean about:

2,810 ft/s at the muzzle for 7.62 NATO

2,775 ft/s at the muzzle for 7.62x54R

Poland's standards, tested in a laboratory, actually have the 7.62 NATO going some 3-4 m/s faster than the 7.62x54R, at the muzzle about 2,772 for x54R vs 2,785 for NATO.

Like I said: with military loads and barrels of similar length, very little difference in terms of "horsepower". Even out a long 91/30 barrel there is little to no advantage.

In reality there is no "muzzle velocity", there are "muzzle velocities", it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, from gun to gun and from lot to lot of ammunition, there are nominal values.

It USED to use 7.62x54r (in a dark brown cardboard box), then at some point in some update they made 7.62x51 spawn instead (off-white cardboard box) and had the Mosin chamber that. With the recent addition of an ACTUAL 7.62x51 rifle, the B95, I figured they would re-add 7.62x54r and have the Mosin again using its proper cartridge but it seems that wasn't the case.

Also this has been pointed out a bajillion times since it happened.

Nope

The velocity of 7.62x51mm M80 ball is specified as 2,750 ft/s at 78 feet per TM 43-0001-27

The velocity of 7.62x54R LPS ball is specified as 820-835 m/s at 25 meters (or at the muzzle depending on source)

From TM 43-0001-27

cWnG3Gd.png

From Soviet Army manuals

GyJaNHJ.png

That would mean about:

2,810 ft/s at the muzzle for 7.62 NATO

2,775 ft/s at the muzzle for 7.62x54R

Poland's standards, tested in a laboratory, actually have the 7.62 NATO going some 3-4 m/s faster than the 7.62x54R, at the muzzle about 2,772 for x54R vs 2,785 for NATO.

Like I said: with military loads and barrels of similar length, very little difference in terms of "horsepower". Even out a long 91/30 barrel there is little to no advantage.

In reality there is no "muzzle velocity", there are "muzzle velocities", it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, from gun to gun and from lot to lot of ammunition, there are nominal values.

i understand that there are a lot of nominal values but the value that doesnt change is the ft-lbf the 54R trumps 51mm rounds in force even a 150 grain 54R generates more force than a 175 grain long range BTHP 51mm. im not really trying to argue specifications here with you but i have the values on multiple boxes of ammo where as you're siting russian text and velocity almost exclusively. I shoot rifles chambered in both i just prefer the 54R if you've fired rifles chambered in both i'd like to know your preferred round if not i really dont want to argue further. The rounds are differen't and it SHOULD be 54R in the mosin in dayz NOT 51mm the 54R is the one of the most notorious bullets in the world its taken a hell of a lot of lives in many different wars and its come to be expected that if a gun enthusiast picks up a mosin he wants to see those sexy milsurp 54R communist stoppin powah steel jacketed bullets not some NATO approved "superior" round that would be harder to find then the abundant number of 54R lying around in russia and every other country in europe

EDIT: and youre comparing fps to m/s atleast find a converter so people can tell the values

Edited by Danhell

i understand that there are a lot of nominal values but the value that doesnt change is the ft-lbf the 54R trumps 51mm rounds in force even a 150 grain 54R generates more force than a 175 grain long range BTHP 51mm.

I don't see how, in all the values above, with military ammunition, they are in a dead heat in terms of energy. And the 7.62x54R uses a 9.6 gram (148 grain) bullet as standard military ball, 7.62x51 is 145-149 which is for all practical purposes identical weight.

It says right on the box in the game, "LPS", that is 7.62x54R steel core light ball.

For standard sniper loads the 7.62 NATO is also equal or superior in terms of energy:

7N1 and 7N14 are 152-153 grains at about 2,750 ft/s.

M118LR is 175 grains at 2,600-2,700 ft/s.

And any advantage increases with range as the 175 Sierra has a superior BC.

As for commercial ammo... how about Wolf:

6ahfw2s.png

Again, pretty much the same energies, apart from that 180 grain at 2,641 fps - but .308 factory loads will throw 180 grains at 2,620 fps. Most manufacturers load these two cartridges at very similar levels.

You can load it up slightly hotter than the .308, no doubt, it has a larger case capacity. However here are some example loads from Hodgdon:

.308 Winchester:

150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 45.5 gr HXXXX, 2,870 fps

165 gr Hornady soft-point, 47.5 gr BXXX, 2,738 fps

180 gr Speer soft-point, 46.0 gr BXXX, 2,660 fps

200 gr Swift soft-point, 43.5 gr BXXX, 2,514 fps

7.62x54R:

150 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, 55.5 gr BXXX, 3,027 fps

165 gr Barnes XBTC, 47.0 gr HXXXX, 2,761 fps

180 gr Swift Scirocco, 55.0 gr HXXXX, 2,692 fps

200 gr Speer soft-point, 52.0 gr HXXXX, 2,529 fps

EDIT: and youre comparing fps to m/s atleast find a converter so people can tell the values

820-835 m/s at 25m = 2,690-2,740 fps at 82 feet.

The rounds are differen't and it SHOULD be 54R in the mosin in dayz NOT 51mm

Yes it should, they want to focus on more common and interchangeable types of ammunition, but they will have to accept that they can't use generic one-size-fits-all 7.62xEverything without upsetting people.

Edited by Gews

i love you

edit: but for real which one do you like shooting better?

Edited by Danhell

i love you

edit: but for real which one do you like shooting better?

.303 British

.303 British

God... i can't even find any of that shit. I saw 5 completely green-corroded rounds once for $2 each.

The 7.62x51 box is a typo i believe.

• Like 1

I didn't even know you could get a mosin in 51, I thought that was just an oversight.

I once saw a picture of a Mosin in .300 Win Mag.

: 0

God... i can't even find any of that shit. I saw 5 completely green-corroded rounds once for $2 ea

Enfields re-chambered to 7.62x51mm for the win!

Its just a stop gap for now, wait and be patient, i wouldnt be surprised if they added the RUger 10/22 firing 5.56

Its just a stop gap for now, wait and be patient, i wouldnt be surprised if they added the RUger 10/22 firing 5.56

Nope

"-Ballistic parameters of all projectiles tweaked for more realism"

It fires your average .22 LR High Velocity at 1250 fps.

54r isn't superior.  The harsh reality is, russian ammo is garbage for any accuracy.  It's cheaply made bulk ammo just like the x39 and the 5.45 stuff.