Sign in to follow this  
PhillyT

Thoughts on the SKS and B29

What are people finding with the new guns?  My take:

SKS:  Seems like a nice alternative to the Mosin... until you start using it.  Noticeably less accurate, LOUD, and recoil that is too high to really get successful followup shots.  Still a good gun with the higher fire rate, but it really makes you appreciate the Mosin.  Good for close range and mid range (50m - 200m) engagements but swap to a close range weapon if closer or move to a better position if further away.

B29 - Not sure if it is the newness or novelty, but this is a fun gun.  Fantastic accuracy (though no optic option) and damage similar to the Mosin with fast fire, it is a cool mid to long range gun with a nice change of pace,  Mosin is still the sniper king, but this is a great weapon for iron sight kills at 100 - 300 yards.  Plus you get the Rule of Cool while carrying it.

Edited by PhillyT
  • Like 2

I've found that the SKS is king at pretty much all times. One shot kill plus a fast fire-rate means its very versatile.

The B95 fits very well in the setting, and I love using. It certainly helps with immersion.

• Like 3

The B29 is a mosin that fires two shots. I like it as a great close range weapon and FANTASTIC medium range weapon, but it suffers to a low ammo count and the speed loaders are harder to come across. It is a good starting gun but more of a fun weapon rather than a practicle weapon.

The SKS is a rifle great in close range (A good competetor to the M4 like the B29) but average in medium/long range even with the PU scope. Although it is a very effective weapon when acurate and should not be takin as a light threat.

I think my favourite guns are the Mosin and the B29 becuase there power and ability to disable players at good ranges is why I love it. The B29 is quickly becoming my favourite weapon becuase I can drop someone easily in close range and when im careful its a great flanking weapon for medium range.

I like both guns but the B29 is more practicle for DayZ City engagements and thats why I like it becuase I often get in urban fights with my playstyle.

ROCKET PLEASE ADD MORE OF THESE GUNS, DAMM ARE THEY FUN TO USE!

Edited by LeeFriendField

The Blaser is incredibly accurate, almost brokenly so how flat the rounds fly.

Still trying to find the SKS. :/

The Blaser is incredibly accurate, almost brokenly so how flat the rounds fly.

Still trying to find the SKS. :/

I kept hearing folks, including my friends, say they were finding them in civilian locations but I had no luck.  I finally had to head out west to the Vybor military Base, NWAF, and Zeleno to find them.  But when I did, all I was finding were SKS!

I kept hearing folks, including my friends, say they were finding them in civilian locations but I had no luck.  I finally had to head out west to the Vybor military Base, NWAF, and Zeleno to find them.  But when I did, all I was finding were SKS!

I found four in a single search of vybor concentrate on the big hospital/school (top room) the piano building, and the brick building with a covered arch entrance check the space at the top of the stairs in that building, I found a b95 there in two of them. Funny thing about this patch, I am practically drowning in guns the few times i can get the game to stop lagging, but despite that I cannot find a mosin to save my life!

Edited by Franchi

I found four in a single search of vybor concentrate on the big hospital/school (top room) the piano building, and the building with a covered arch entrance. funny thing about this patch, I am practically drowning in guns the few times i can get the game to stop lagging, but despite that I cannot find a mosin to save my life!

I found my B95 in the arch house. And the SKS in the office and piano room.

The SKS is definitely my current favourite (and will probably be until they introduce the AK-74). Versatile, plenty of rounds in the gun and a very fine looking piece. My main character on the hardcore carries that, while my character on regular, which I mainly use for experimentation and such currently carries the B95, just to test it out.

It is really great to have these fine guns spawning in civilian areas. I have completely stopped going to military areas, because except for ammo boxes, there simply isn't anything there which I need that I can't find in civilian buildings.

• Like 2

Found 3 SKS's in cherno the other day. 2 in the TEC building and one in the Piano house. Almost to bad i had my sexy B95.

I found my B95 in the arch house. And the SKS in the office and piano room.

The SKS is definitely my current favourite (and will probably be until they introduce the AK-74). Versatile, plenty of rounds in the gun and a very fine looking piece. My main character on the hardcore carries that, while my character on regular, which I mainly use for experimentation and such currently carries the B95, just to test it out.

It is really great to have these fine guns spawning in civilian areas. I have completely stopped going to military areas, because except for ammo boxes, there simply isn't anything there which I need that I can't find in civilian buildings.

Ammo boxes can spawn in construction sites, very rare but can remove all need to venture into hot zones.

Ammo boxes can spawn in construction sites, very rare but can remove all need to venture into hot zones.

Thanks, didn't know that. I mostly use the yellow plastic containers anyway.

No exaggeration, I've stumbled into at least 10 SKS today.  I'm practically tripping over them.  I'm not a huge fan of them, I find it a bit hard to hit anything beyond close range, even with a pristine PU scope.

I want to try the B29 though, sounds like my kind of gun.  Right now, for me, mosin > sks > m4.

I'm liking the SKS in ubran combat or out in the trees where I have lots of cover. I find the recoil isn't so bad as long as don't try to fire it as fast possible. Either be patient and zero back down before you fire the next round, or take cover a moment, and lean + shoot, depending on how much you are getting shot at.

Haven't found the B95 yet, but look forward to it! Something less military is just what I'm out for >.>

Edited by Rudette

:/ saddens me how the weapons are treated in dayz.

Weapons, Ballistics, accuracy is all un athentic in dayz.

Problem is I can't tell if its intentional or just a mistake since its a beta and content is being rushed in.

:/ saddens me how the weapons are treated in dayz.

Weapons, Ballistics, accuracy is all un athentic in dayz.

Problem is I can't tell if its intentional or just a mistake since its a beta and content is being rushed in.

I don't know.  WHat I have noticed is that the pistols don't recoil enough, SKS jumps too much, and the M4 isn't nearly accurate enough.  Other than that, the game does pretty well.

What have you seen that you dislike?

b95 is awesome. but remember it only fits 2 bullets and you need to reload after every 1 - 2 shots.

fortunately i have 4 snaploaders with me, so i can reload 5 times very quickly :D

but without any snaploader it's very unhandy in a firefight. because you need to reload manually.

Edited by drunkenteddybear

I don't know.  WHat I have noticed is that the pistols don't recoil enough, SKS jumps too much, and the M4 isn't nearly accurate enough.  Other than that, the game does pretty well.

Everything that you mentioned + the goofy unrealistic accessory system.

Sadly Arma 2 and ACE mod is 100x more realistic and authentic than dayz stand alone.

Hopefully mods for standalone fix it.

if the B95 is fixed to take LRS's (and it should be) then it will likley become the new meta, after all when shifted into dual fire mode it will kill anyone instantly.

if the B95 is fixed to take LRS's (and it should be) then it will likley become the new meta, after all when shifted into dual fire mode it will kill anyone instantly.

The blaser b95 absolutely works with any optics and has a wide variety of compatible rings.

The mosin however should I repeat should not be compatible with the lrs.

Only the pu scope.

Yeah the mosin got rare.

For every mosin i find 3 SKS (and about 10 of the new double barreled rifles )

Same for the .45 pistol

I allways find tons of ammo for it but the pistol itself became VERY rare-

And even if you find one the gun will usually have no mag.

And mags for this pistol are even more rare then the pistol itself.

I love the SKS. It is really accurate even out to 400m if you have the PU scope. Plus 10 shot and looking sexy as hell, oohhh mama.

I haven't used the B95 but my buddies have some, and they pretty much hit what they aim at every time, so it must be pretty good.

The Mosin kickback is currently worse than letting my ten year old fire it. Apparently our characters have zero upper body strength.

• Like 1

I haven't fired the Mosin enough in game to feel it out.  I have a Mosin, and feel like it isn't that far off from what I have seen, though rumor has it that the Mosin has had its kick increased since the last patch?

The SKS on the other hand jumps like a .300 winmag which is stupid.

The blaser b95 absolutely works with any optics and has a wide variety of compatible rings.

The mosin however should I repeat should not be compatible with the lrs.

Only the pu scope.

There are a wide variety of scope mounts to attach a standard scope to a mosin, the main issue is typically the straight bolt handle and loading from stripper clips. As the mosin in game has a bent bolt handle and we have no stripper clips for it these are not issues.

To sum it up yes, the mosin that we have in game SHOULD be able to use the LRS.

• Like 1

I find the SKS to be in an over-abundance, but the ammo for them is extremely hard to come by.

I find the SKS to be in an over-abundance, but the ammo for them is extremely hard to come by.

Try the military building with a cell in it, also the hangars, and the barracks in that order. I am practically drowning in 7.62x39 and stripper clips.