Sign in to follow this  
gjvah

Some questions

I've been playing the mod from 2012, got SA on day one, but there are a few things I don't understand yet. If people who know could answer these simple questions, I'll be grateful. 

1. Regular vs Hardcore: I've seen people claim they have 2 chars on one account, one "regular" and one "hardcore". Regardless of what server I join, it's the same character for me, with the same gear. What am I missing?

2. Playing with friends from overseas: We have a friend who lives in Ukraine, who we recently got into DayZ. However, there's a very few servers we can play together on. If we join any server on this side of the planet, he can't see us in his friends tab. Trying to join through steam, gives him "server not responding". If we join on him, regardless of what the server he is on, we start with new chars. There's literally 1 server that we found where everyone's gear seems to carry through, and that particular server is very unstable. Random restarts every 30 or so minutes, and high ping for everyone (we have people from the US, Aus, Canada, and Ukraine). 

3. Sickness: My previous character, who was alive for 9 days (ironically, got blasted into the stratosphere for the audacity of trying to use a ladder) was sick for a week. Never been shot, hurt by a zombie or consumed anything bad. Survived on canned food and drinks the entire time, just got sick. Nothing we tried fixed it. And we tried everything from charcoal tabs to painkillers, to antibiotics, to vitamins. Also, never been in water, jumped from a high place or anything like that. Always properly dressed (warm clothing and stuff). It's obviously too late for him, but I keep pondering what the hell was wrong with him. Was it just a glitch, or did he have a mental disorder or smth. lol.

4. Eating/Drinking: What's the best way of eating/drinking in SA? Here's my problem. If I'm holding a weapon, and I start eating, he put the gun away, eats 25%, re-equips the gun, puts the gun away, eats another 25%, and so on. If I put the gun away manually, before I eat, 99% of the time I get a message "you're already using something". So I have to keep spamming the button till he finally realizes that I'm not kidding and starts eating. This method is slower than waiting for the gun equip/unequip animation. Now, if I put my gun away, take whatever I'm about to eat in my hand, and try to eat, nothing happens. I have 20-25 ping, over 400 bandwidth, 0 desynch. Nothing happens. He just stays there staring at the open can. I have to again, spam the command for him to realize he has to start listening before he passes out. So, in short, the fastest way for me is the first way, by holding a gun and eating that way. There's gotta be something I'm doing wrong. 

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for your time. 

-V-

1. Regular vs Hardcore: I've seen people claim they have 2 chars on one account, one "regular" and one "hardcore". Regardless of what server I join, it's the same character for me, with the same gear. What am I missing?

Make sure you filter correctly. It will show you the varian (Regular / Hardcore) in the Serverbrowser ingame.

2. Playing with friends from overseas: We have a friend who lives in Ukraine, who we recently got into DayZ. However, there's a very few servers we can play together on. If we join any server on this side of the planet, he can't see us in his friends tab. Trying to join through steam, gives him "server not responding". If we join on him, regardless of what the server he is on, we start with new chars. There's literally 1 server that we found where everyone's gear seems to carry through, and that particular server is very unstable. Random restarts every 30 or so minutes, and high ping for everyone (we have people from the US, Aus, Canada, and Ukraine). 

I haven't had any problems playing on US-Servers or with American friends.

3. Sickness: My previous character, who was alive for 9 days (ironically, got blasted into the stratosphere for the audacity of trying to use a ladder) was sick for a week. Never been shot, hurt by a zombie or consumed anything bad. Survived on canned food and drinks the entire time, just got sick. Nothing we tried fixed it. And we tried everything from charcoal tabs to painkillers, to antibiotics, to vitamins. Also, never been in water, jumped from a high place or anything like that. Always properly dressed (warm clothing and stuff). It's obviously too late for him, but I keep pondering what the hell was wrong with him. Was it just a glitch, or did he have a mental disorder or smth. lol.

Instead taking the "Sick" indicator away charcoals actually gave you the "Sick" indicator in the first place. If you had taken charcoal tablets or used alcohol to wipe your wounds you just need to wait and it will eventually go away.

• Like 1

I've been playing the mod from 2012, got SA on day one, but there are a few things I don't understand yet. If people who know could answer these simple questions, I'll be grateful. 

There are separate "shards" in the hive DB for regular and hardcore, though some people have also posted that their regular character appeared when they joined a hardcore server, so potentially a bug.

2. Playing with friends from overseas: We have a friend who lives in Ukraine, who we recently got into DayZ. However, there's a very few servers we can play together on. If we join any server on this side of the planet, he can't see us in his friends tab. Trying to join through steam, gives him "server not responding". If we join on him, regardless of what the server he is on, we start with new chars. There's literally 1 server that we found where everyone's gear seems to carry through, and that particular server is very unstable. Random restarts every 30 or so minutes, and high ping for everyone (we have people from the US, Aus, Canada, and Ukraine).

I had the "server not responding" issue when trying to join friends via steam, but I copied the IP address and connected directly to it and it worked fine. Ping over 100 but no issues whatsover. Have him give that a try. I'm US, they UK, not sure where the server was, but it was over 100 ping for me, but connectivity was perfect once I got in.

• Like 1

4 put weapon away manually place open can in hand from inventory menu it will now stay there till you have eaten from it 4 times till empty then use hot bar to re equip gun...

1 you should have different charcters on reg and hard there on seperate hives ( stored info in seperate places) as mentioned check by filtering hard or reg.. your not in the experiemental build are you??

2 strange problem have you tried connecting direct?? as in ip server address??

3 illness is bugged so hard to give a good answer

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I'll give those suggestions a try. When you say check server IP, is there a way to get the information for the server you're already on? Some kind of a command or something?

Thanks guys, I'll give those suggestions a try. When you say check server IP, is there a way to get the information for the server you're already on? Some kind of a command or something?

If he can "join server" from within steam, he will see the IP address in the steam dialog that pops up. He can just copy it there, and paste it into the DayZ server browser. I don't know of any way to find the IP of the server you're in once you're in it.

• Like 1