Sign in to follow this  
Arcon (DayZ)

Lower Fall Damage for Alpha Plz

Just during Alpha, when ladders, stairs, building walls, etc are all so buggy and causing deaths, can we please just lower fall damage by half? For example, I went to the top of ATC (have a good computer/gfx card/ssd with graphics on normal or low settings) and after climbing ladder turned right and BOOM! I was catapulted through the rail and off onto the ground and died.

After that I revived and after a few hours of scrounging I got equipped. Tried climbing to roof of apartment building in Berenzino and when I got to top of ladder it started floating me backwards, while walking forward I hit the F key to grab ahold of ladder again. After 1 second it dropped me to the floor, injured me, raised me to top of ladder and dropped me again to my death. The ladder is only 10 feet high.

Most every play I know says they have just stopped climbing up to these places because it is not worth losing all your gear. Which begs the question: why penalize us so heavily that we do not even try to test out and help fix the game? This ladder on top of Berenzino apartment buildings has been bugged for at least a month now and nobody has reported it so clearly testing is failing.

Edited by Arcon
  • Like 1

You survived a fall?

Just the other day I tripped over a (small) rock and died.

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

because we dont need to test for fall damage values, nah not needed at all.

Damn, I was just walking down stairs and it looked like the character "slipped" a bit (like he slid down smoothly) and "you are dead"...  :(  Here goes another 30 minute run from the coast before I starve to death  <_<

don't use ladders while moving. stand still, recruit.

an please...fall damage stays where it is (suposed to be)

You dont understand. When you climb to the top of a ladder if you stand still it floats you backwards into the hole and you drop to death. Ladder is only 10 feet high. Its buggy and pardon me for wanting this game to get fixed and succeed. You are one of those players who thinks this Alpha game is just to play, not to actually improve it. Fine, but please do not promote this game being a huge bugfest when it is released because people are afraid to actually test it.

• Like 1

because we dont need to test for fall damage values, nah not needed at all.

The ladder was no more than 10 feet high(3m). The issue still remains players are refusing to test this game out because fall damage is so high. So Devs are failing with it in its current state. I checked bug reports and there is no bug reported by you for this ladder so you are a prime example of what I am talking about, afraid to test.

Edited by Arcon

You dont understand. When you climb to the top of a ladder if you stand still it floats you backwards into the hole and you drop to death. Ladder is only 10 feet high. Its buggy and pardon me for wanting this game to get fixed and succeed. You are one of those players who thinks this Alpha game is just to play, not to actually improve it. Fine, but please do not promote this game being a huge bugfest when it is released because people are afraid to actually test it.

Did you make your account just to complain? Seems that way. Bug report what you find, then avoid it until reports of bug fixed. If standing still after climbing a ladder causes you to fall back, then don't stand still after you climb the ladder? 

Did you make your account just to complain? Seems that way. Bug report what you find, then avoid it until reports of bug fixed. If standing still after climbing a ladder causes you to fall back, then don't stand still after you climb the ladder? 

LOL go try this ladder I am talking about. STanding still pushes you back, walking or running forward you still get pushed backwards. Please go test it out before adding another useless suggestion. Still remains, PLAYERS ARE NOT TESTING AS THEY SHOULD because of the buggy ladders and such.

Edited by Arcon

The only trouble with ladders that I have had have been on that haunted ship, Rify. When I get to the top of a ladder, usually there is some barrier blocking me from moving forward initially. I just veer a bit to the right or left while still holding W and am safe and sound on the roof. Maybe your characters inner ear is off? No one ever taught them how to climb a ladder? Father wasn't a painter?

Edited by GafMast

i'll just leave this here.

(notice footwear...simple athletic shoes...no military boots or so)

check out some jumpe at the beginning, then the jump at 1:09, then some jumps later...

i am not saying the player chars are trained parcourists.

but they are all athletic and not 70yo grandpas/grandmas.

and everyone of the dayz-characters has a high skill in utilizing a military weapon without any problem...

do something about the ridiculous fall damage. it makes me mad all the time.

simple example. go inside a hay barn, go on the MIDDLE floor (first stairs up)

run over edge -> legs broken (already ridiculous @ 3m)

move stairs up again by standing up in front of it and moving forward quickly (this overrides they step height restriction when in broken-leg-prone)

again crawl over edge, but press "stand up" quickly before u reach it -> dead (i lol'd)

also when u crawl over edges u recieve nearly no damage, so i think falling damage is calculated from the HEAD position, not from the foot position... (i lol'd again)

Edited by Ovomaltine

I think all fall damage should be automatically converted into a broken leg.

do something about the ridiculous fall damage. it makes me mad all the time.

also when u crawl over edges u recieve nearly no damage, so i think falling damage is calculated from the HEAD position, not from the foot position... (i lol'd again)

I bet you are right about how it is miscalculated and yea, they really should lower it across the board to promote us identifying buggy ladders, stairs and other areas rather than when we get equipped we just stay clear of those areas for fear of setting ourselves back 4 hours.

The only trouble with ladders that I have had have been on that haunted ship, Rify. When I get to the top of a ladder, usually there is some barrier blocking me from moving forward initially. I just veer a bit to the right or left while still holding W and am safe and sound on the roof. Maybe your characters inner ear is off? No one ever taught them how to climb a ladder? Father wasn't a painter?

OK I will try that trick next time I feel suicidal enough to gamble my char. Thanks for info.

well, i never fell of any roof since i play (220 hrs) =D

well...

its not about falling by accident only.

but i just want to be able to perform certain jumps without thinking about "hmmm is this 0.1m too much so i will break my leg?"