aeoliana

I'm not trying to start a war

But can someone tell me why 3PP is a thing? I mean... I use it... but I feel like a cheater the whole time.

I don't wanna get yelled at or told to go play hardcore, all I want is someone to give me a reason why it exists in DayZ (where the tagline is immersion and realism). Somebody make a case for 3PP so I can understand! :(

It existed in Arma 2. It existed in the Dayz Mod. It exists here.. Ta da.

• Like 11

Because it makes up for the lighting speed reactions and senses you'd have IRL.

In reality, you almost have a third person view, because your head would be on a swivel, searching for threats, as well as your peripheral vision. 

(Also, thank you for posting a title that's not "OMG GIT RED OF TPV NAO DAMMIT!!!!11!!!!"

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 3

Because some people like to see their characters/Like 3rd Person looks

It existed in Arma 2. It existed in the Dayz Mod. It exists here.. Ta da.

But like, there is already a way to turn it off... so why does it still exist here?

But like, there is already a way to turn it off... so why does it still exist here?

PLAY ON HARDCORE SERVERS. FIXED.

• Like 3

It is a compromise to help simulate a person awareness and peripheral vision, which you lack with a monitor and restricted FOV. But yeah, it can be abused. That's why there is hardcore. And I also know someone who gets motion sickness due to the movement animations and stuff in arma games.

So you can see your character?

I would be all for keeping 3PP but removing the ability to move the head. Would probably take some getting used to but it would fix that magic ability to see over and around a wall/building.

Because there is totally a way to turn it ON.

Tune in, turn on, 3P.

Because it makes up for the lighting speed reactions and senses you'd have IRL.

In reality, you almost have a third person view, because your head would be on a swivel.

Yea, that's the normal issue with 1PP and limited FOV, but 3PP lets you look through walls and see around corners without exposing yourself which you can't do in the real world. Unless you've got some senses that I don't :(

I usually use 3pp when walking or running long distances. I want something to look at since it gets boring. :l

Don't want 3pp? Join a hardcore server, there, fixed.

Edited by AntonioAJC
  • Like 2

I'm not trying to start a war

...and I thought this was going to be a joke about your current weapons haul :p

While the first-person perspective allows players to aim and shoot without their avatar blocking their view,[4] the third-person shooter shows the protagonist from an "over the shoulder shot" or "behind the back" perspective.[3][6] Thus, the third-person perspective allows the game designer to create a more strongly characterized avatar,[4] and directs the player's attention as if watching a film. In contrast, a first-person perspective provides the player with greater immersion into the game universe.[7]

This difference in perspective also has an impact on gameplay. Third-person shooters allow players to see the area surrounding the avatar more clearly.[4] This viewpoint facilitates more interaction between the character and their surrounding environment, such as the use of tactical cover in Gears of War,[8] or navigating tight quarters.[9] As such, the third-person perspective is better for interacting with objects in the game world, such as jumping on platforms, engaging in close combat, or driving a vehicle. However, the third-person perspective can interfere with tasks that require fine aiming.[10]

Hope this helps...

What sort of satisfaction or closure are you really looking for here?  This is one of those questions that typically leads to a hundred opinions being shared for the 100th time.

What sort of satisfaction or closure are you really looking for here?  This is one of those questions that typically leads to a hundred opinions being shared for the 100th time.

Opinions are like M4s...

While the first-person perspective allows players to aim and shoot without their avatar blocking their view,[4] the third-person shooter shows the protagonist from an "over the shoulder shot" or "behind the back" perspective.[3][6] Thus, the third-person perspective allows the game designer to create a more strongly characterized avatar,[4] and directs the player's attention as if watching a film. In contrast, a first-person perspective provides the player with greater immersion into the game universe.[7]

This difference in perspective also has an impact on gameplay. Third-person shooters allow players to see the area surrounding the avatar more clearly.[4] This viewpoint facilitates more interaction between the character and their surrounding environment, such as the use of tactical cover in Gears of War,[8] or navigating tight quarters.[9] As such, the third-person perspective is better for interacting with objects in the game world, such as jumping on platforms, engaging in close combat, or driving a vehicle. However, the third-person perspective can interfere with tasks that require fine aiming.[10]

Hope this helps...

No one is answering the question here. I'm not asking about the merits of 3PP or whether or not it should be used. I'm asking why it exists in Dayz

I don't deny that there are good reasons for 3PP existing. I'm just looking for someone to explain its place in this game where realism is supposed to be the main concern.

No one is answering the question here. I'm not asking about the merits of 3PP or whether or not it should be used. I'm asking why it exists in Dayz

I don't deny that there are good reasons for 3PP existing. I'm just looking for someone to explain its place in this game where realism is supposed to be the main concern.

It exists on its merits.

1pp is not realism

3pp is not realism

together they aid realisim

it is a compromise within the limits of a software program

Edited by Skyline-GTR

play on "hardcore" servers then, realism is not an argument when a bandage can heal my bullet wound.

Edited by Gerandar

I want to correct one thing that people have been saying: 3rd person does not increase your FOV, at all. It simply relocates the camera to behind your player which makes it seem like you have a wider FOV. You still can't see any "wider".

1pp is not realism

3pp is not realism

together they aid realisim

it is a compromise within the limits of a software program

How is 1PP not realism? Its the closest you can get without a 180 degree monitor? This isn't combative, I am asking you to explain why you think 1PP is not realistic.

There are points

How is 1PP not realism? Its the closest you can get without a 180 degree monitor? This isn't combative, I am asking you to explain why you think 1PP is not realistic.

there is no peripheral vision