DaMaakus

Painting The Mosin

Hi,

I saw pictures of painted mosins and read about it, to spray it black and then green and it would have a striped camo effect afterwards.

So I found a Mosin, a can of green spray and a can of black.

First I sprayed the black on, the Mosin was black.

Then I sprayed green on, the Mosin was lightly greenish afterwards, no sign of black.

Applying black paint again only made the rifle black again.

What did I do wrong?

Bonus Question:

I hear rabbits in the enviroment all the time (the sound of opening a can of soda, short zombie growl...).

But even I hear them pretty near me, I never saw one.

Until yesterday, when I strolled along a road and all of a sudden a rabbit ran across it, where I could clearly see him, about 10 to 15 meter from me.

But as soon as the rabbit got off the road and was on the grass again (no bushes or trees there, just a bit of the "bitmap" grass), it disappeared all of a sudden and was never seen again.

Is this a bug, a feature or has this to do with my graphics settings / card?

wow this is very interesteding and i havent seen this happen with myself or my team.... I spray painted my mosin yesterday the exact way you did it and it worked fine (found SKS so i ditched it lol) ... have you tried another server or running from the spot your in?  sounds like a weird glitch... i had a camo mosin yesterday as well as we tested it on my team members M4. everything was green on the M4 except the scope and bipod.. hope someone can help but i would try a diff server 

Hi VtotheJ,

thanks for the answer.

No, I didn't try it on another server. Not long after I tried to paint the gun i died and lost everything.

I didn't find a Mosin since, so I couldn't try to reproduce this, sorry. :(

i havent painted the mosin with the new patch, but prior, it made it go from a 5 shot to only a 1 shot, so i ditched it and found a new mosin.

when i painted it black, it went black. then i added green and it was camo (black and green mixed together). you need to choose "add to" to combine the colors. read the description. i remember there being 2 options. but it might have changed with the new patch. and going from 5 shots to 1 shot blows so i havent done it in a while.

i havent painted the mosin with the new patch, but prior, it made it go from a 5 shot to only a 1 shot, so i ditched it and found a new mosin.

when i painted it black, it went black. then i added green and it was camo (black and green mixed together). you need to choose "add to" to combine the colors. read the description. i remember there being 2 options. but it might have changed with the new patch. and going from 5 shots to 1 shot blows so i havent done it in a while.

They fixed that glitch... so spray paint away... The mosin with the camo paint and fully loaded looks like a bad ass gun and is very powerful (compared to m4 and sks) s

• Like 2

@DirtyscumbagLith

As far as I can tell, the ammo stayed at 5 rounds, even after painting.

Yes, you are right, there was a second option, but I thought one of it was some kind of jibberish (like "load spray paint can" or something).

Maybe I didn't read it thoroughly enough or understood it the wrong way. I'm no native speaker.

But I will have an eye on it, if I'm ever be able to lay my hands on a Mosin and the two spray paint cans again.

Thanks!

• Like 1

@DaMaakus... you should think about joining my team and playing with my friends... 3 americans and 3 germans. message me if interested.. good luck 

I agree, spraying the Mosin works very well (and looks goddamn sexy ;) ). 

That thing with the Rabbits: I noticed (playing together with my friends) that only you can see that one specific Rabbit running just across your way.

I guess those Sounds (eating, reloading, etc.) are some kind of Bug, that happened to us (no i dont mean mysekf, but my friends an me), where random Sounds played at some Locations. But if you listen closely, youll notice that those sounds are interrupted and just a part of that normal sound.

@DirtyscumbagLith

As far as I can tell, the ammo stayed at 5 rounds, even after painting.

Yes, you are right, there was a second option, but I thought one of it was some kind of jibberish (like "load spray paint can" or something).

Maybe I didn't read it thoroughly enough or understood it the wrong way. I'm no native speaker.

But I will have an eye on it, if I'm ever be able to lay my hands on a Mosin and the two spray paint cans again.

Thanks!

Ahhh.

Then definitely paint it. It looks very sexy with the camo combo.

They fixed that glitch... so spray paint away... The mosin with the camo paint and fully loaded looks like a bad ass gun and is very powerful (compared to m4 and sks) s

can you paint the m4? or is the mosin the only gun you can paint?

can you paint the m4? or is the mosin the only gun you can paint?

you can paint the m4 but its different. you have to spray paint the parts seperately than the body of the gun.  I had an all green M4 except the scopr and bipod can not be painted green... m4 does not have the camo feature and i dont think it will as in the mod they had reg m4s and camo m4s which makes me think they will do the same but prob cant spray paint them camo yet. 

@Gr3mlin:

Hm, that thing with only you can see your "own" rabbit ist weird...

Regarding the sounds: I think I already read somewhere, that this are placeholder sounds for the rabbits, as they haven't own sounds yet.

(Why even implementing them when you can't hunt them is beyond me).

And, god damn, I was cowering in the corner of a house for ten minutes the first time I played this game and heard the fricking short zombie growls... only after that I learned about them, beeing placeholders for the rabbits... fuc*ing rabbits, man. ;)

My point was lees of the sounds, but more regarding the visibility of the rabbit modells in-game.

Do you guys see them often? I played for 40 hours now and only saw that one bunny, but heard many more.

@VtotheJ:

Thanks for your offering!

For now I play alone (to learn the game, map and mechanics) and probably hook up with a few friends of mine not far in the future. But maybe I come back to you in a few days, if you don't mind?

Awesome didnt know you can blend the colors...awesome...i wondering if you can do the same to the crash helmet. Will try...thanx guys!

@VtotheJ:

Thanks for your offering!

For now I play alone (to learn the game, map and mechanics) and probably hook up with a few friends of mine not far in the future. But maybe I come back to you in a few days, if you don't mind?

I am always on and playing dayz.. add me on steam: Sly201 and whenever you want to play we can... ill introduce you to my german teammates they are very knowledgable about the game and we love helping people like yourself or your friends... we protect in massive groups... so just let me know when your ready and good luck to you... 

• Like 1

I am always on and playing dayz.. add me on steam: Sly201 and whenever you want to play we can... ill introduce you to my german teammates they are very knowledgable about the game and we love helping people like yourself or your friends... we protect in massive groups... so just let me know when your ready and good luck to you... 

Thank you, I will certainly think about it! Good luck to you too! :)

If you already have a Mossin painted black all you do is drag the green spray paint over it and click on "Add" spray paint to it, instead of "Paint." This will make it camo instead of green. I noticed this very early on in the update by pure coincidence.

• Like 1

If you already have a Mossin painted black all you do is drag the green spray paint over it and click on "Add" spray paint to it, instead of "Paint." This will make it camo instead of green. I noticed this very early on in the update by pure coincidence.

"Add spray paint instead of paint it"... that rings a bell... I think it was the add-thing I understood the wrong way.

I will try this on the next occasion, thank you!

I haven't tried yet, and I'd rather not because I like it how it is now, but can you paint a Mosin gradually? I used a can only once (25%) and it was dark brown, not black.

I haven't tried yet, and I'd rather not because I like it how it is now, but can you paint a Mosin gradually? I used a can only once (25%) and it was dark brown, not black.

no as long as you have paint in the can it will paint it black or green doesnt matter about the percentages left in the can.