Sign in to follow this  
Randy_Pie

Realistic looting and more

First off, I think there sould be containers (closets, cupboards, safes,...), and not just stuff lying around on the floor.

I think Items shouldn't respawn. - It would be much more realistic, if the shelfes in supermarkets, homes and such were full of food/stuff in the beginning, and only become less, if players take them. Additionally there should be more plants/animals (I know they're comming) and the possibility to grow your own vegetables and keep pigs or chicken, when you have built a house. - that's what in reality would happen in such a scenario.
Also there shouldn't weapons just be lying around, but they should be mostly locked away (like most of them are in reality - especially in military bases) and you need to find a key, pick the lock, or shoot it open.
I don't know if the engine can handle that many Items as it would have to, but for the sake of realism, I don't think stuff should spawn/despawn - except for plants and animals - they reproduce, but I've never seen two cans of beans becomming three, over time ;)

Also I'd like to see custom base building (like in Rust) not just some types of shelters you can put somewhere.

Last but not lease, and I can't stress this enough - This game should be about surviving the zombie-appocalypse, not shooting as many people as possible. I'd really like to see some of these KOS-kiddies shoot a mosin and hit a target in only 100 meters in real life. - it's not as easy as you might think. - Same with the m4 and all other weapons - you can't just pick it up and shoot distant targets without training. - So I think there sould be usage-depending skills. - first time you load a mosin, some bullets get wedged and it takes you 30sec in average - After a hundret times it only takes you 5sec. The first times you shoot, you can't hold the weapon steady, the recoil has more effect and it takes you longer to cock.

ok that's all I got for now ;)

As for looting from cupboards, dressers, desks, refrigerators, gun cabinets, medical boxes, safes -- yes. That's an obvious no-brainer. It's been brought up, a lot, and I'm a huge supporter of this.

As for items never respawning, um, not a fan. Counter proposal: Have grocery stores have large quantities of food and soda. Hospitals have large quantities of medical supplies. Military bases have large quantities of basic military gear (except for weapons and ammo, which should still be quite rare). Remember that your inventory in this game is extremely limited. As of right now, the problem is when people go "meh, this airport has already been looted, so let's hop onto an empty server." This way, you wouldn't have the unrealistic aspect of a grocery store with one can of soda and one can of beans. The idea would be to take what you need from these specialized locations, then get the heck out of dodge before other people show up and complicate matters for you.

As for lockpicking and whatnot, I think it could prove interesting. I made a topic on the subject.

As for skills -- it takes skill in this game to get the jump on somebody. It takes skill to quickly reload a clip. It takes skill to not stand there like an idiot and die. There's a lot of player skill that makes the difference between life and death in this game, and anything else would just be a chore to "train up" -- as you're proposing. Not supportive of this.
Edited by carcinovich

guns wouldn't be locked up, its a zombie apocalypse for christ sake, which by the way didn't happen overnight, every gun is going to come out of its hiding spot.

• Like 1

A lot of that depends on how long after the zombie apocalypse happened. If this game takes place during the zombie apocalypse (which I doubt) then grocery stores, refrigerators, cupboards, etc would be full of food, but I think it takes place post apocalypse after most of the panic and looting has happened. There are many zombies out there and only a handful of survivors. I would definitely agree that cupboards, refrigerators, safes, etc should be lootable. The first time I played I was trying to open a fridge in a house for some food or drinks.

I don't get why people are so attached to base building? It's so impractical. Rick and the gang didn't build the prison, they occupied and fortified it. Hopefully that's really what people mean and not actually building a new structure from scratch.

I support non-respawning loot, but I don't think it's a realistic target because people can take loot off the server and bring it to another server. Plus, why should a player have to lose out on looting opportunities because you have real world responsibilities? I think container searching would a be a big plus. It could potentially help performance, you wouldn't have to make these items a 3D object in the world unless a player places it back into the world. Container loot would also make looting a little more involved.