randmanq

What does the SOUND SOURCES options in the settings do?

Sorry if this was already covered, I did use the search but I couldn't find much.

What does the sound sources options do? Does it increase voip volume or does it add allot more ambient sound?

Mine was set to 32 I think, by default. Is there a good reason to have it set high?

Does it effect performance? And if it does make performance drop, is it worth the frames per second hit?

I thought it had to do with 3D positional audio and how many simultaneous sounds can be played from different positions.

But, I could be wrong.

99% positive it is the amount of individual sound sources that a sound can play from.

Ex- 32 sound sources = you can hear 1 player shooting and 31 zombies simultaneously. I have seen this setting in other games before such as diablo, that have numerous monsters on screen and thus many sources sounds can be produced by.

Going to play around with this setting and see if it indeed inpacts the sounds ingame, as well as CPU performance.  

Kinda curious about this setting myself.

Kinda A Curiosity Bump ... Bump

am wondering about this setting here.

Just got a new pair of head gear and

wondering what this setting does?

It determines the maximal number of sounds that the game can play at the same time within that session. Also, it used to make a difference years ago but it shouldn't matter unless your audio card/chip is dinosaur old. xD So, just put it to the maximum of 128.

• Like 1

Yup, but even at the maximum of 128 you'll still notice not all sounds are playing.

The sound system desperately needs an overhaul.

Nice TY.

Is what I did. Just maxed it out,but wasn't sure that was what was doing.

99% positive it is the amount of individual sound sources that a sound can play from.

Believe this to be correct aswell, atleast you hear more, but anything over 32 seems to do little or nothing in my experience. DONT put it at 16, my friends playd with that forever, trying to fix performance, he didnt hear shit... By which I mean he heard about 50% of gunshot in the distance.

PS; by amount I dont really think its the actually number of sources, think its counted in "mb", could be wrong though.

They've since changed the name.  It's a microphone setting.  The setting in the config file is "maxSamplesPlayed", but you've got to read it from their perspective.   I'm fairly certain that the setting's main function is to inform the server/client of your microphone's sample rate, so, match it to your microphone's settings.
My headset only samples the mic at 16kHz, so anything higher than 16 is full of gaps & transmits too quietly.  Also, higher sample rates may adversely affect your upload speed, so even if you're soundcard is sampling at a high rate, you have the option to knock it back if it becomes an issue.  Though, I'm not 100% on the specifics...

You only need two sound sources for full 3D positional audio: left & right.  Your playback sample rate defaults to the systemIt is the limit for the number of sounds you hear. 

Edited by sushimaster