Dreganius (DayZ)

Liberation! (Mechanic of reclaiming towns for Survivors)

I love the idea; and agree with most of your points, but I think it could be implemented a little less script-heavy than 'Prepare to fight the horde!'

But all in all I'd love to see this developed in some form <3

I'm still a bit iffy about the premise of simply entering a town with a large number of players and starting to fight zombies, but I can't think of a better way to do it, unfortunately. It's a point of this suggestion I really want to discuss and develop with the community.

I'd say it would involve walling off the perimeter of said town, and eliminating all the zombies within the town to slowly stop them spawning, with spawn rates increasing due to the intense fighting(?).

There has to be some sort of physical defence element involved, it seemed obvious to me but I cant see it mentioned.

Well, I basically meant that when I said the players would need to stand their ground, and not flee from the area, since that'd essentially be a failure to reclaim the area.

Fair enough, But the actual placement of defenses could be a parameter to successfull containment rather than a scripted zombie horde event?

I think that would require more scripted parameters than a single horde event, but I'm more of a games artist with some very basic knowledge about programming as opposed to a games programmer, so I could be quite wrong about that.

If people find this idea to apparently be too ''script-based'', you could change the suggestion to something like ''Zombies spawn outside towns'', which would make zombies to not (re)spawn in towns, but rather further away from towns, and from there they would wander until they reach into a town, so you could set up blockades around the town and shoot zombies on sight. Now, I'm not sure, but I believe this wouldn't need as much scripts (if any at all).

A much simpler way of being able to hold towns as bases is to just have zombies not able to spawn within 150-200 meters of players. That would feel more natural imo, and would need hardly any coding at all

To be honest, I think that would pretty much cleanse the zombie population by half, since there could be (or was) players 200 meters from each other, making the zombies unable to spawn. Also from what I heard (may or may not be true), zombies spawn when there are/were players nearby.

I like it.

Have it so when a group enters a town, and kill all the zombies, it activates the liberation and large hoards of zombies spawn on the edge of town and wander in. (pretty much what you said already) if the players defeat these hoards the town becomes theirs. At which time bonus loot would spawn somewhere which would consist of sandbags/wire/traps or any other fortifications.

After that the town is liberated. It would require at least 1 person in the radius to maintain the liberation. And if gunfire happens within the "camp" zombie hoards will spawn just outside and attempt to retake the town. This will make bandits attacking think twice about when and where to attack. And it would encourage a cease fire within the town.

+1

I think Rocket is wanting to implement something along these lines. The fact that Zeds dont spawn in the safe zone but are attracted to it in large numbers sounds good to me. Could be an awesome PvP, Survivors vs bandit gang scenario too.

@bad_mojo, the idea is that if there are no survivors left in the town at any time, it reverts, yes. That's why I basically made out that if the Zombie Hordes or Bandits lay waste to the place and no-one is left there, the area reverts to its infested state. Say, 5 minutes of no-one being there? It needs to be short enough that people can't merely run back to the place, but long enough that Bandits could make sure all the survivors are gone if they want to claim the area for themselves.

@RobbL, your idea is a bit flawed, as that would wreck the spawn mechanics everywhere else in the mod, as VonTawast stated.

I like the fortification aspect of this idea, if you place barbed wire, sand bags, and tank traps around a specified perimiter,and clear all the zombies out it becomes a "haven". The zombies wont spawn inside the haven, but large hordes will persistently spawn outside of it if players are present, and become attracted by gunfire. I dont think survivors really need to be in the area to hold it. If the horde is still there on the outskirts it will ultimately wander in.

There should also be random horde spawns throughout the game. Make things much more interesting.

Would be interested to see how cherno/elektro turn out with this.

The problem with your reasoning, danile, is that if there's ALWAYS a horde outside, it'll become impossible to hold the area for more than a few minutes without the players running out of ammo and being forced to leave. The idea is that the hordes would spawn once or twice a day, because we don't want it to be totally impossible to keep the place.

Exactly Dreganius. If it would be as danile666 suggested, it really wouldn't make sense to liberate a town at all since you would run out of ammo pretty fast because it would turn out like some Tower Defense game.

@bad_mojo that would just be another excuse to stop being at risk of getting killed by another player and it would also lower the constant paranoia level because everyone would believe that no one's going to fire a shot since it would spawn a horde of zombies coming at them.

Am i the only one that see's a major flaw in this Idea?

All it would require is a a group of bandits to take advantage of "ghosting" - or what ever its called

All bandits would need to do is go onto a different server, go to the same town as the liberated town, Disconnect, Reconnect on the same server as the town. and you have yourself within the town Probably in a House with a prime View on all the inhabitants.

essentially Ruining the game for everyone who tried to liberate the town.

Dont get me wrong, i like the idea. but there are just a few things that would ruin this feature.

this is never work, i will kill then all sorry... =D

Am i the only one that see's a major flaw in this Idea?

All it would require is a a group of bandits to take advantage of "ghosting" - or what ever its called

All bandits would need to do is go onto a different server' date=' go to the same town as the liberated town, Disconnect, Reconnect on the same server as the town. and you have yourself within the town Probably in a House with a prime View on all the inhabitants.

essentially Ruining the game for everyone who tried to liberate the town.

Dont get me wrong, i like the idea. but there are just a few things that would ruin this feature.

[/quote']

Hopefully by the time something like this is implemented 'ghosting' wont be as much as a problem. Though how that could be rectified is beyond me.

Damonjay, although your comment is valid, I believe Rocket wishes to solve some of those issues. Or, at least, that's what I've come to believe reading his posts and such.

Regardless, they still have to first get enough members to clear the town of all the inhabitants, and even then I can think of much better ways to crack open a liberated area, such as waiting for the survivors to face a horde, send in a sick player, have a sniper start firing on them and have a main force move in, sneak into the town to begin with/walk in posing as survivors, or a combination of those things.

My name is TRUCKER...

...and I approve this message.

What would be nice is to be able to place items in the housings to save them.

also, zombies shouldn't be attacking it 24/7 but rather come in big hordes from one or two, maybe if its a big attack from all 4 sides (north/south/east/west).

Life expectancy in a liberated area filled with players and few zombies would be very very short.

Love the concept, with current exploits fixed it would be much more feasible. However,, as previously mentioned. Once liberated, what next? there's no loot - no reason to "hold" the town.

I agree with tweaks this could work for sure, but we're not quite there yet. +1 for the framework though.

We absolutely need something like this in the game. Players definitely could use 'towns'. NPC's to trade with would be fantastic too, just some way to get the stuff that you find all the time traded for stuff you dont. Sometimes I'll find 10 sodas and no food. Sometimes I find 4 pistols and no primary, 10 axes and no gun, etc. This sort of town would allow for that to be traded for safely.