Sign in to follow this  
akafugitive

Gameplay Mechanics Pt3 - Environment

14 members have voted

1. 1. What sections do you like/agree with? (multiple choice)

• Loot Containers
    • Loose Loot Re-spawn
    • Immersive Loot
    • North East Airfield
    • North West Airbase
    • Military Response to the Infection

*Disclaimer* The following are my opinions of features I would enjoy seeing in the game, this thread is in no way intended to express negativity towards the current development or express ignorance towards current development plans. I am fully aware of what alpha or "work in progress" means, as such I am doing what is intended for alpha testing and making suggestions, not demands. Please keep feedback constructive, and on topic.

Loot Containers

I love the idea of lootable containers, my idea to add onto this would be bodies in various states of decay, this would bring proof that there was life to the area. These containers could work like the mannequins in Skyrim, and could be in buildings, cars, roads, pretty much anywhere.

-Looking at one of these objects would give an action "Search [object name]"

eg: Search Body, Search Stove, etc.

-Each search attempt made on the object would play an animation then open up its inventory, this allows it to load items

eg: 10 seconds animation like "picking berries" then inventory pops up

-Persistant objects would be given a set number of search attempts that will fill its container with a random amount of items, once depleted it will not respawn till server reset

eg: fridges, stoves, desks, etc. will be given 10 search attempts

-Dynamic objects would be placed randomly at server reset and be given one search attempt that will fill its container with a random amount of items, once depleted it will not re-spawn

eg: bodies, debris piles, relief drops, etc.

-Bodies will have certain fixed objects that will be found when searching 100% of the time to make sure what is displayed doesn't suddenly change once searched

eg: their cloths, backpacks, etc.

Loose Loot Re-spawn

This could work just like my infected re-spawn system. Loose Loot should be a progressive replenish over a long period of time, replenishing small amounts over that time. Times and numbers are example only

-An area, building or object is assigned a value of loose loot items

eg: NWAF is assigned 500 loose loot items, farm house is assigned 10 loose loot items, car wreck 3 loose loot items, etc.

-When all or part of the loose loot items are removed a re-spawn timer will activate once the area becomes inactive (no player network bubble intersects its zone)

-Loose loot that has not been moved would remain and not re-spawn

-If an area is left inactive for a long period of time and is able to fully re-spawn, all items abandoned in that area will clean-up (help with server performance)

-When the timer fully counts down it will re-spawn a small % of the loose loot, and start over till loose loot is full

eg: 5% every 10 min of inactivity, could be based off of server population

-If a player enters the zone before it is fully replenished, re-spawn timer will pause

-Upon server reset loose loot would start at 25% in all areas and use progressive re-spawn

Example: A group cleans out the NWAF at 500 Items; every 10 min, 25 items re-spawn, it would take just over 3 hours of inactivity to re-spawn all the loose loot

Immersive Loot

Currently I find the way loot is spawned in the world make it feel like 90% of the population disappeared and the remaining became mindless killing machines overnight before the players were dropped in on the coast. I would like to see a few changes to the way loot spawns to make the environment feel like an infection took control of the region before you showed up.

-Military/police buildings and a few houses spawn with lootable gun safes with a chance to have good quality firearms locked inside. Mags and ammo would be stored separately

eg: you need to gain access to them with a cutting tourch, bolt cutters, etc.

-Some military/police vehicles will have good quality firearms locked in the centre console, trunks or storage compartments. Would spawn with a mag and ammo

eg: you need to gain access to them with a cutting tourch, bolt cutters, etc.

-A few firearms should be found in a poor condition found laying around in random buildings with dry mags (simulating that they were abandoned)

-Some houses will spawn boarded up with stock piles of weapons, ammo, food, other survival gear and be overrun with infected (simulating safe houses that were over run and abandoned)

-Old shotguns and hunting rifles can be found in truck cabs and farm houses in rural areas

-Container bodies will spawn with food, water, ammo, and survival equipment on them and may have weapons or firearms spawn on the ground next to them in very poor condition

eg: bodies of soldiers are more likely to have firearms then civilians

-Usable containers such as backpacks could also spawn with random loot in them

-Items in containers and on shelves should have a higher chance of being in good condition

North East Airfield

Because of its close location to the spawn area and the lack of a civilian airport, I'd like to see this become one.

-Remove current structures and add a large airport terminal (sample picture here)

-Add an enterable/lootable damaged commercial airliner on the tarmac

North West Airbase

Because it is in a location that requires time to get to, I'd like to see this become a high yield military loot hotspot.

-This should have the largest population of infected, most of them being military

-Add damaged/ destroyed fighter jets to a few hangars

-Add an underground instance; a small hidden access port to a large underground secret complex filled with testing labs and special forces, military and scientist infected

-Each section of the underground complex would have a power grid that will start knocked out, players can repair each sections power, restoring the lights and door locks with the right tools 

-Special Forces and scientist Infected have a chance to drop Key-cards that will allow door access to other areas in the complex

-Doors can be broken into with a cutting tool, takes a long time

-Explosives can take out walls and floors using building destruction model in the underground complex, very loud

Military Response to the Infection

Before the military was over run and pushed back they set off bio-chemical weapons in major military bases and airbases, this was ineffective however... to the infected.

Military zones require respiratory protection to enter safely

Bandanna's - Over the face, provide very little resistance

eg: 5% - Condition doesn't matter

Shemaghs - Provide little resistance

eg: 10% - Condition doesn't matter

Respirators - Provide more resistance

eg: Badly damaged - 5%, Damaged - 10%, Worn - 20%, Pristine - 40%

Gas masks - Provide the most resistance

eg: Badly damaged - 30%, Damaged - 50%, Worn - 80%, Pristine - 100%

If you liked this, also read/like/comment on these:
Gameplay Mechanics Pt1 - The Player

Gameplay Mechanics Pt1 - The Player(skills)
Gameplay Mechanics Pt2 - The Infected
Gameplay Mechanics Pt4 - The Weapons

Gameplay Mechanics Pt5 - The Interface
DayZ - How it all began... (coming soon)

Edited by akafugitive
  • Like 12

I like this +1 especially on the north east airfield and underground military testing base / hangar , but there should be no end game content as there is no "end game" per se .

I mean a better chance for finding high yield military drops since the area will be much harder and you will have to weigh risk vs reward, anything found down there can still be found elsewhere just at a lower chance. Most will probably will not survive unless organised

End game items being things like NVG, Good condition military weapons/plate-carriers/clothing, experimental vaccines(makes you temporarily immune to some illnesses), etc.

Edited wording in main post to clear that up

Edited by akafugitive

Sounds good especially about the part of having to wear a mask to enter an airfield and underground complexes both these would add a different element to the game, also you could use this a method of killing someone, restrain them and walk them into the airfield take there mask off and leave them there lol

• Like 1

Sounds good especially about the part of having to wear a mask to enter an airfield and underground complexes both these would add a different element to the game, also you could use this a method of killing someone, restrain them and walk them into the airfield take there mask off and leave them there lol

You sir have evil intentions... I like it +1

• Like 1

lol thanks for the beans i was dying of starvation, wouldn't happen to have a tin opener on you :) you do have some good ideas for the game would be nice to see some implemented in, keep up the good work

You are welcome. Thank you everyone for all your beans, I'm glad my ideas are received well by the community

Edited by akafugitive

Huh, how did I miss this thread. Awesome ideas, I really like those improvements for the NEAF :P  :beans:

I like the idea of chemical respirators having use but in reality

Chemical weapons are very short lived. Thats one of the reasons they're usable. They would disperse with the amount of time since the apocalypse

Airborne disruption yes, an agent delivered in a dust or powdered fashion could remain constant on surfaces until disturbed by through traffic for a long time in buildings with no air circulation.

I don't like the chemical weapons thing -- where are you supposed to get gasmasks and such if all of the military areas are filled with chemicals?

I mean, you could use bandanas etc but they're decently rare and if you're in there for an extended period of time switching out loot etc, you could die/get sick

And what if you found a gasmask, how would you replace your bandana without dying/getting sick?

Other ideas are good though.