fidelacchius

Sighting in guns

I seem to have issues sighting weapons in  i.e.  100m 200m 300m....700m   pageup/pagedown

Are their any tips or tricks to judge how far something is away.  I keep guessing and my shots go high or low.

Or is it just more practice?  (kinda hard when weapons are scarce)

you just learn to estimate distances after awhile and then theres,

http://dayzdb.com/map/chernarusplus

just click on two locations and theres the distance

edit just some general distances that i checked on the map

-from sniper hill in elektro to the external fire staton it is roughly 200 meters

-from sniper hill in elektro to the internal fire station it is roughly 500 meters

-kamy is roughly 400 meters (west->east/east->west)

Edited by Timecharge

Meter to yard conversion all ways messes up my estimating skills in this game. I just use Dayzdb map to get a feel for distance if I'm in one location. On the move you can kind of estimate using your scope or zooming in out of iron sights. I think it's a character that is 4 times taller than the diameter of the white circle when zoomed in is about 300m to 400m. Give or take.

For the PU scope, a person that is the same height as the horizontal, black bars, is 300m as well.

Another tip is if you can find an in game map item to use, you can pull that up and zoom in and there is a box grid, and each box is 100m x 100m. I use this all the time and its pretty helpful.

• Like 3

Another tip is if you can find an in game map item to use, you can pull that up and zoom in and there is a box grid, and each box is 100m x 100m. I use this all the time and its pretty helpful.

I like that.  I use the web map all the time, so it's good to know there is a legit in game tool to use. 

And diagonally it'll be 140 meters.

• Like 2

I think of my own range time and the size of a man at 100 yards checking their targets.  I picture how big that person is and adjust my distance from that mental picture.

And diagonally it'll be 140 meters.

Yeah this is important, don't know how many times I totally forgot this and was left wondering for a second why my shots were landing way short

Yards, it is a made up measurement. Use meters, much easier.  :lol:

Edited by weedmasta

Find someplace "safe" and start taking shots at trees, street signs, zombies, whatever. After 10 or so shots you should have a pretty good feel for how far out things are, at least for targets under 500m.

You can use the scales on the in game maps and occasionally a little trig to figure out distances

Or DayZDB works too

The meter and all its derivatives are also a made up, arbitrary, measurements look it up.

The Metric system has the advantage of being based on units of ten, or the decimal, the Imperial system has the advantage of not being French :D

• Like 1

Always aim center mass. Never the head or feet. Only then when you might spot where you hit and go from there.

Just practice.

General rule of thumb though is aim center mass with a 50m zero this way you hit center mass from 50m - 300m.

I am curious, how well does day z model the interaction between balistic curve, and line of sight.

Here is what I am talking about

02-trajectory.jpg

Metres are made up too. Completely arbitrary. From 1889 until 1983 the metre was defined as the length of this bar:

Measurements_3.gif

The length of some random bar. Seriously?

And before that? They had another bar.

dgG4m0x.jpg?1