helcol

An interesting idea to add a new element to Dayz

I checked the suggestion forums for this and I did not see a topic talking about this:

Note: This is something that should be considered, but not at the moment! There are more important game mechanics to be fixed.

We have all been to that one loot building with a piano in it, right? Some might have wanted to play that piano, but could not. I am not recommending we make only piano's playable, but to add a system that involves the player spawning with different skills in musical instrument use.

Let me explain: every time you spawn, you are given a random blood type that will stay with that life. Imagine having a random musical talent that stays with that life. The only way to tell whether you are a terrible pianist or a prodigy on the piano is by attempting to play it, creating an enormous risk. The reward could vary.

Ex: tell the person holding you up that you are a musical prodigy, in which case he/she will bring you to a piano to play for him/her. Ex: go to a big city, create a place where people can gather and listen to the prodigy pianist work his magic on the piano. etc. etc.

Some people will approach the piano, press a key, and make a horrible sound(common). Some will be able to play simple beginner piano songs (uncommon) . The prodigy (rare) will have the ability to choose from a range of complex songs to play. 

Benefits: It could lead to interesting occurrences in player interaction, could be used as a trap, or could be a nice moral boost in a post apocalyptic hell. It could also give players another reason to keep that life alive for as long as possible. Fits multiple play styles.

Disadvantage: People will find a way to abuse the system if it is not regulated, there are also bigger issues that override this one.

One more thing, this will not only benefit one play style, It could range from the pacifist pianist to the psychopath who plays the piano before each kill. It would be interesting to hear the crazy stories this implementation would create.

Thanks for reading my post! Let me know if you have any questions/concerns for this that could refine it. Also, constructive criticism please! 

• Like 1

Piano playing simulator 2014

Seriously, what the fuck?

I would have no interest in keeping someone alive because his character could play a piano...

I...don't think that is a good idea at all...in fact I think is so fucking horrible  :( maybe just adding a sound when interacting with it like in Max Payne or Metro 2033 but to have a "talent" is just not what this game is all about. You're missing the point on this game, if you want to develop a musical talent try Sims or Guitar/DJ hero...I'm sure you'll like those

came here expecting "(In-)Sanity" suggestion.. wasnt entirely disappointed.

to be fair and honest, i think you wildly overestimate the value the average DayZ player gives to musical talent.

came here expecting "(In-)Sanity" suggestion.. wasnt entirely disappointed.

to be fair and honest, i think you wildly overestimate the value the average DayZ player gives to musical talent.

I see, as this is only a suggestion, I get slammed for opening my mouth once again. If a sewing kit patch comes out, I will sew my mouth shut!

I think you should be able to interact with every object in the map so if u want to rob and play the piano go head but instead make it like playing a real piano in real life so the average joe like me wont have a clue instead of making your character a random musical prodigy you have to be 1 =D same with helicopters make it like a simulator to fly them.

• Like 2

I like the idea of the ability to play musical instruments in-game, a la Lord of the Rings Online. I wouldn't like to see it tied to a skill based system, though. That wouldn't fit with the openness of DayZ.

For those the see no use, this is no different to having guns in DayZ! I don't use them, so to me they are supperflous. Same as musical instruments would be to you. It would allow some interesting gameplay to emerge as people use or abuse the ability to make 'music'.

I just want to be able to stand out in a field and play the bagpipes for my Z friends!

• Like 1

I see, as this is only a suggestion, I get slammed for opening my mouth once again. If a sewing kit patch comes out, I will sew my mouth shut!

No you won't! I'm the Medic here. You'll make an appointment and I'll do it for you!

• Like 1

It's no skill to give suggestions. Skill is to give reasonable suggestions. I understand that you want stronger immersion and social interactions, but what you ended up doing is trying to deny the apocalypse.

Nevetheless, I'd love to carry a guitar on my back and play it every once in a while at a campfire :D

Interesting.. I can see this is one of those idea's that is somewhat of a niche kind of personnel fetish that you would like to see in game helcol.. I can dig that 4 sure.. piano playing, obscure yes! I think perhaps you are musical person in real life(s). Regardless I too have obscure and random ideas I would love to see one day.(maybe not so much musical talent haha) 

Things that have crossed my mind are ideas like a random rubbish pile that has flies buzzing around may have some kind of crusty infected needles lying about filled with a rottern custard like liquid that would have very nasty consequences for someone who was poked by it.(maybe near hospital rubbish piles but definitely urban areas) 

A priest outfit so you could run into a weirdo role playing as priest in a church out in the middle of no where.

The odd dim light flickering in random urban building(s) somewhere like an apartment block or shop.

little things like this would be wonderful to discover in game down the track of course when the game is older

• Like 1

I like the idea of the ability to play musical instruments in-game, a la Lord of the Rings Online. I wouldn't like to see it tied to a skill based system, though. That wouldn't fit with the openness of DayZ.

For those the see no use, this is no different to having guns in DayZ! I don't use them, so to me they are supperflous. Same as musical instruments would be to you. It would allow some interesting gameplay to emerge as people use or abuse the ability to make 'music'.

I just want to be able to stand out in a field and play the bagpipes for my Z friends!

I would also like to add that many people play Dayz for the player interaction, whether it is killing, holding up, forming a group, or being a traitor to the group. The game is far more than just killing everyone you see. Play styles vary and that is why Dayz has been so successful. The fact that players can be whoever they want to be in that life is awesome! :D

I'm going to go ahead and say that the random musical skill level thing is a bad idea, I will admit that. However, musical instruments, sport equipment, and other things in that nature are as crucial to adding to the immersion as more gun variety (but not more gun spawns).

Where is my banjo ???

Rephrase that, make it a shudraga. Character is a mongol type :)

( and please, add mules !! no good playing it and singing without marching on Elektro atop a mule )

The Idea to be able to play a Instrument sounds interesting. Like a group of players who every time they attack someone, play their bongos of war.

Ex: tell the person holding you up that you are a musical prodigy, in which case he/she will bring you to a piano to play for him/her. Ex: go to a big city, create a place where people can gather and listen to the prodigy pianist work his magic on the piano. etc. etc.

That'd be cool, especially if they implement grenades.