Sign in to follow this  
Damnyourdeadman

Gps player location indicator

A lot of portable generators nowdays come with a built in inverter and a port for your cables (USB and AC) so yeah, it kinda is lol

things you would need:

1. Fuel for generator

2. Generator

3. Charging cable

4. Rechargable batteries

5. GPS device

Things currently in DayZ

1. There will be fuel for cars, why not fuel for generators?   Also; wind, solar, hydro, gyro, geothermal, thermal, induction

2. Put in a generator

3. Put in a charging cable

4. Most GPSs have Li-ion batteries or worst case is put in rechargable batteries

5. Put in a GPS device

Isn't this the whole point of having the suggestion threads in the first place?

Edited by KnT47r

Oik so you have started up your generator, Zombies and bandits and heros and bambies come from miles around to see what the noise is.

What now ??

Wow, you're such a naysayer lol

What then? Then you've just created the gameplay that DayZ is all about.  You either lose the fight and die, or win the fight and survive another day

Wow, you're such a naysayer lol

What then? Then you've just created the gameplay that DayZ is all about.  You either lose the fight and die, or win the fight and survive another day

Its a discussion, no need to throw insults just because you cant think of anything constructive to say.

I like the idea that gps shows where your friend are in the game.

but i can see that every other players (bandits) will use the gps to find and kill you, this needs to be avoided.

So, you might be saying to yourself, “I’ll just use my trusty GPS system to get around – that never fails me.”

And you’d be DEAD wrong.

To understand why, it’s important to understand how GPS works. “Satellites right?” Sure thing there Isaac Newton, but let’s look at it in a little more detail.

GPS or Global Positioning System is a project run by the US Government, The Air Force Actually. The Air Force keeps a minimum of 24 satellites orbiting the Earth broadcasting a radio signal with their time and position. Currently there are a number of redundant systems should a problem occur.

That’s the technology part. However, the weakest link in the security of any system is the human part.

These satellites need constant adjustment. The ground operations are relative complex, and handled by 2nd Space Operations Squadron (2SOPS) . Their operations consist of a Master Control Station in Colorado, as well monitoring stations and antennas all over the world. This system allows the military to fire a cruise missile form a ship and have it fly through the correct window of the building.

So, in ZA world, we have to assume an eventual breakdown in society, and perhaps the military becoming overwhelmed. What if the monitoring or Master Control Station were abandoned? How long would the GPS system serve us?

Turns out, not very long. Without constant adjustments to the satellite’s clocks, they will be useless almost immediately.

Now here’s some science stuff: Because of relativity (you know the Einstain stuff), time is actually different on Earth than it is in Space. So the clock shift in the satellites put the GPS coordinates off by 11 kilometers a day. 11 klicks is some extreme discrepency – enough to mean the difference between arriving at a well-stocked military base and becoming zombie poop. (Do zombies poop? We’ll examine that at another time).

So Mr. Fancy Technologypants, where does that leave you. Well sonny, when I was a boy, they made these things called maps and compasses. Turns out they still make them, and they still work. Get yourself some topographical maps and a compass, take a course in orienteering.

Source: http://www.zombiepre...gps-apocalypse/

But there are the US Military satellites and private sat's. Everyone thinks that the US Military is the only one with junk in the sky. There are hundreds up there besides the 24 the Navy/Air Force has. And basing my knowledge of the newest gen of sat's that I've used in the military. They do not lose time at that rate. And all it takes is one GPS reciever to turn on, and the user to adjust the time and the sat's correct the time. It may take a while for them to adjust but they will eventually correct themselves. We used privately owned sat's in Iraq with our equipment when our where out of site. And they would adjust accordingly to the time set on our receivers .  As for power. There are so many ways to make power even without a "noisy" generator. You can hand crank many electric items like flashlights. 

Easily power any device:

http://inhabitat.com/hand-crank-cell-phone-charger-by-eton-and-the-american-red-cross-could-be-a-lifesaver/

http://www.damngeeky.com/2013/05/25/11461/k-tor-pocket-socket-2-hand-cranked-charger-for-your-gadgets.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CIADLG/ref=s9_hps_ft_g263_ir03?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=1T1DE1K1K5RBRKKKDP9J&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1719102642&pf_rd_i=1000983421

There are so many ways to power a device. And also pertaining to the game some lights are powered at night. They have to be getting power from somewhere and one could tie into that source.

Pretty good source for life span and opperations.- http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/

Also keep in mind that the military has the ability to offset civilian GPS by any distance they want. Meaning that your GPS could show you in China, but you are actually in Canada.

RC_Robio, you suggest that a personal GPs device can adjust the clock on a satalite. Can you see no flaw in this ?

Also while there may be plenty of satalites up there, the GPS system utilises only 24 specially designed sattalites for GPS.

Doesn't really take much to maintain a satellite. Powered by the sun and trapped in orbit. Eventually they may degrade but many of the Block IIF satellite's in orbit have have a lifespan of 12.5 years and if they are like the block IIR's they will live for anther 5+ years longer.

GPS satellites will start to get unreliable without daily updates. WIthin a day you'll notice degradation, within a few weeks to a few months, they'll be completely useless. 

Its a discussion, no need to throw insults just because you cant think of anything constructive to say.

Says the troll. Pretty much everything you've posted in this thread has been unconstructive.  :rolleyes:

Says the troll. Pretty much everything you've posted in this thread has been unconstructive.  :rolleyes:

hmmm not sure how you came to that conclusion. I might suggest that because you are "for" this idea, and my posts may suggest that a system is not realistic that you lash out with lies and insults.

My first 4 potsts and an explanation:

How would GPS satalites be maintained in a post apocalyptic world ? Asked to gain an understanding of the concept.

as far as im aware, GPS satalites need constant positional data uploaded to them to maintain their orbit.

If this maintenance was stopped then it would only be a matter of days or weeks before they became useless for the purposes of global positioning. Information about a realistic system of GPS related to the topic.

Well it seems we may have conflicting data.

Would you care to provide a source of your info ? Asked to gain an understanding of the concept.

I did click the link and read the article but it does not seem to address the issue of maintenance.  Pointing out that your reading comprehension maybe failed you on this occasion.

Edited by Skyline-GTR

hmmm not sure how you came to that conclusion. I might suggest that because you are "for" this idea, and my posts may suggest that a system is not realistic that you lash out with lies and insults.

Your posts made my conclusions easy to draw and this response has cemented them. Suggest all you want, you're wrong. Because I am "for" the idea? Please point out the posts I have made that suggests I am "for" the idea that gave you the impression I was opposed to your opinions on the matter and therefore lashing out with lies and insults.

It's ok, I don't have to be up for work tomorrow so, please, take your time.

Your posts regarding how you'd power the SatNav brought nothing of value to the table, and even when someone responded to your non-arguments with a perfectly legitimate response, you went further down the rabbit hole. So far, in fact, that you got to the game mechanics surrounding the supporting equipment that may exist to run a SatNav that could easily be run on the 9v battery already in the game. You know, like everything else electrical in the game does. This is why I called you out as a troll given you were lambasting someone for not being constructive.

TL;DR: Oh, do behave.  :rolleyes:

haha sorry I got you confused with the other dude.

My posts were all constructive to the topic of discussion, they questioned the idea with the purpose of developing a better understanding of the topic.

Again questioning how GPS would work in relation to the handheld device, is to better understand and develop discussion about how to implement this in the game.

The point of powering the device was started by a suggestion that the battery would not last a long time.

So either you did not read the thread or your reading comprehension has failed you in this case or it is you who is the troll.

Also I do not appreciate your insults (calling me a troll) or your lies (saying my posts are unconstructive).

So again I suggest that it is you who is the troll because 100% of your posts so far in this thread have been off-topic and a personal attack on me.

GPS satellites will start to get unreliable without daily updates. WIthin a day you'll notice degradation, within a few weeks to a few months, they'll be completely useless. 

This is what most of us agreed upon early on in the discussion. The other dude disagreed and when asked for evidence, failed to provide any.

Edited by Skyline-GTR