Hexxalot

Fists are overpowered

Fists  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Are fists overpowered?

• Yes.
    • No.

I think that perhaps it would be better to not necessarily make the fists weaker (because sometimes they are awful) but to drastically reduce the punching speed.

magnetic, it's literally ONE punch to the head to make you go unconscious. even with a ballistic helmet on. not make them weaker, just make the hits to the head weaker. 

kingrex, but FULLY geared players? I walked up to a guy and offered him food and in one hit to the head and I was out. how is that fair?

The biggest problem is how fast you can move and strafe back and forth, especially with your fists out. You shouldn't be able to sidestep a mosin at close range, fists or no fists.

people keep saying how we shouldn't see someone with fists unless we're spawn hunting, what if we're trying to help people like in my case? I saw someone, they ran.. saw someone else I approached them, they put their pipewrench away, pulled out their fists and BOOM one hit knock out before I could even press caps lock to talk to him. don't nerf punching, nerf getting knocked out BY punching

I'm doing some martial arts and i seen some fights, both in everyday life and on the ring. One punch knockouts are rare but they happen even to a healthy well trained man. I have never been punched in the game so I can't really say what is the effect of getting punched but in real life I took some serious blows and some of them did knock me out clean. Rare as I said but happened. Considering my experiences and the situation where the character is in fighting for his life I think one blow knock out is very likely. I think though that it shouldn't be an everytime  situation regardless. 25% chance sounds very reasonable to me but depending on your health in the game and so on factors should change. Thats just my opinion.

keep in mind @voice it even occurs when wearing protective helmets. (fully geared)

Obviously they are not op when you are fully geared.  But in almost all my fights when its fist vs guy with hatchet.  Fist wins.  FOUR times I have been fighting a guy with a hatchet and just knocked him out and stole his hatchet then killed him.  The fist knockout treats us all like we are mike tyson!

they're OP whenever, you could have the best gear on, go to handcuff someone or whatever and as soon as you're within arms reach, you lose the fight no matter what.

Yes and no.

There is no reason to carry anything but fists or a fireaxe. There is a huge disparity in what melee weapons are useful.

That might not be fists fault, so much as it is requiring two dozen stabs with anything resembling a knife to take someone down.

Compared to the mod, where we started with the Makarov (early beginning) and later with nothing, its a breath of fresh air tbh.

Its far from OP, you need to get up close and personal, and anyone with a firearm, who lets you get close, made a horrible mistake :)

they're OP whenever, you could have the best gear on, go to handcuff someone or whatever and as soon as you're within arms reach, you lose the fight no matter what.

Thats why you have your body, aiming a gun at them while you cuff them :)
Doing it alone brings a much greater risk.

Edited by Byrgesen

wear a helm, walk on the hils and use a magnum. 

(and good headphones to hear freshspawn foodsteps)

they try it. even when you say you will help.

Are fists over powered? No.

Is every other melee weapon (excluding fireaxe) under powered? Yes.

I understand its frustrating but I feel its needed and is some what realistic. 

you see so many people complaining about KOS -.- soo now we're saying we should shoot all new players.. so they can't get close to us, that's twisted logic. maybe if we weren't afraid to get near other players due to fists the game would be slightly more "team" friendly

I searched, and Couldn't find anything. Link please?

No worries, topics merged.

Fists are absolutely overpowered. Knockouts are a neat idea, but the system needs adjusting.

In real life there are tons of defensive postures a person would take if they were being assaulted by fists. If you see a punch coming, you probably aren't going to get knocked out by it.

People do get knocked out in real life, but it's usually from a sucker punch, and not when two opponents are engaging each other. Fatigue should be a factor. When you throw a bunch of punches in real life, you get fatigued, and you're going to be even less likely to land a knockout punch after that. 

In DayZ i think all this should mean:
  -Punch person in back of head = knockout
  -Punch person in front of head = slim chance of knockout
  -Prone or crouching opponent = higher chance of knockout
  -There should be a chance of breaking bones in your hand, which you need morphine to fix.

TLDR: A lot of fist fights in real life don't end in knockouts, which should be reflected in the game somehow.

our characters shouldn't know how to punch like Mike Tyson. it honestly takes a lot to knock someone out unconscious. 

A single punch should NOT have a high likelihood of knocking a person out.  Especially if said person is wearing a helmet.

Fists are absolutely overpowered. Knockouts are a neat idea, but the system needs adjusting.

In real life there are tons of defensive postures a person would take if they were being assaulted by fists. If you see a punch coming, you probably aren't going to get knocked out by it.

People do get knocked out in real life, but it's usually from a sucker punch, and not when two opponents are engaging each other. Fatigue should be a factor. When you throw a bunch of punches in real life, you get fatigued, and you're going to be even less likely to land a knockout punch after that. 

In DayZ i think all this should mean:

-Punch person in back of head = knockout

-Punch person in front of head = slim chance of knockout

-Prone or crouching opponent = higher chance of knockout

-There should be a chance of breaking bones in your hand, which you need morphine to fix.

TLDR: A lot of fist fights in real life don't end in knockouts, which should be reflected in the game somehow.

Agree with most of this stuff. There is just so much wrong with how it was implemented, very primitive feeling. If you are going to have the ability to punch in the game, it should have never happened without the ability to block, You need both sides of the coin. Accuracy of where you land a punch is also a major factor in determining if a KO can occur. You're not going to KO someone with a punch to the nose. You may break the nose with enough force or at the right angle, but you may also just cause a stinging effect and the eyes to water up. There should also prob be knockdowns to go along with KO's. What if I make him hit my forehead, does he break his hand? You may think punching someone in the back of the head is a good idea, but once again there needs to be a chance of hurting your hand. It's hard back there.

Another thing to think about; I have a gun, he gets close with hands down, raises and punches. As soon as I see the hands start to come up or as soon as he gets close enough, why can't I butt him in the face? There should be alternatives to simply shooting the player without having to change what I have in my hands.

Now, all that can get pretty complex, so the obvious and simply solution would be to have a melee attack from behind cause the KO, but anything within view can be withstood. Or maybe that is already how it works? IDK, I've only been KO'd by some silent mofo from behind, once.

They're perfect, #1 he has to be within less than a metre of you #2 it is never a definite knockout.

Irl, you will never see trained gunmen letting anybody get within a few metres that isn't on the ground with their arms behind their back.

There is no reason to make fists less effective.

If anything they should be adding blur and black corners to the victims screen after a punch to the head.

Also a running punch.

our characters shouldn't know how to punch like Mike Tyson. it honestly takes a lot to knock someone out unconscious.

These punches are shown like jabs, I would like them to do some more powerful animations and have jabs be more a punch from a blocking position.

P.S have you ever punched someone in the head as a full grown man? I ain't, but I would imagine a punch to the temple could knock somebody out easily enough.

Especially if it was a big ol haymaker.

If Mike Tyson boxed bare knuckles though, as much as his fists may hurt he would probably kill most people with a single punch.