Z0mbi3z

Well done combat loggers and Server hoppers!

this is wrong, if loot has become rarer, look harder. Nighttime servers? just fucking deal with it, i agree that the 12 or so hours of night is a bit long, but in the end it's still part of the game and it offers a different style of play.

servers should be given the option to compress nighttime aswell as remove it, that way it might become more popular. 

Loot wouldn't be an issue if people were utilizing the entire map, but they aren't, so hopping is not justified. 

your dreaming ,, you live in your own little world trying to impress your view on others ,,, they don't give a crap ,,,get it...peeps want to play there own game not your idea of it ,,, look down any server list in the evening and you will find most day servers full or nearly full,,,and night servers struggling for players and thats a fact ...so deal with that

Wait, what? What is this? Server hopping "fix"? I can still change server 13 times in an hour with this awesome fix. As I said earlier somwhere, timeouts/cooldowns are not a solution to anything.

Good for you, that's the spirit!

Of course, your math is crap! If you jump servers you are going to have to wait 5 minutes between servers. It isn't going to be 13. 13 * 5 mins = 1 hr 5 mins. You'll be lucky to get 8. You'll still have to find the loot per server and that isn't going to be guaranteed. But if you're willing to spend 40~50 mins per hour looking at a countdown timer and 5~10 mins actually playing the game (though I'm loathe to call this 'playing the game') in the vain hope that you'll hit a server that hasn't already been looted, you go right ahead and do it.

You also have to take all those 30 s of NOT being in control of your character when you log out. To maximise your chances of fat loots you'll be logging out in the most high risk areas and I'm betting anyone who glimpses you sitting on the floor is quite possibly going to take the easy kills as they present themselves.

TBH, it's going to cost you a lot in time, and you'll probably lose all that loot as soon as you encounter someone who actually knows what they are doing.

But don't let us or common sense stop you! But when you log in and find all that loot you spent so much empty time colleting is gone, please DON'T post on the forums. I doubt anyone will be sympathetic to someone still trying to exploit this game in this way.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 2

Wait, what? What is this? Server hopping "fix"? I can still change server 13 times in an hour with this awesome fix. As I said earlier somwhere, timeouts/cooldowns are not a solution to anything.

I fail to see how it doesn't at least make the problem easier to handle from a player level. Right now combat logging is so prevalent there's almost no point in shooting at someone because you know they're most likely going to disappear before your eyes. With this, your character is going to sit down, which in most fire-fights, means you're dead right then, and no one is going to mourn you. But if by chance you escape death that way, I have a minimum of four minutes to either retreat, or displace to a better location before you can come back to the server. If I'm still vulnerable after that long, then it's my own fault I died.

In the interest of discussion though, I'm curious to hear why you think that this system won't help to make this problem less prevalent.

(not sure if anyone has already mentioned this)

Why have this whole sit-down thing when you can just have it so that if you get hit, you have to remain so long without getting hit, before you can logout, if you do, then your auto-killed. Yes, players can still log-off if they see someone coming at them, but you have the new anti-server hopping to stop that. So, if your hunting someone, just wait a few mins for them to come back onto the server.

Why have this whole sit-down thing when you can just have it so that if you get hit, you have to remain so long without getting hit, before you can logout, if you do, then your auto-killed. Yes, players can still log-off if they see someone coming at them, but you have the new anti-server hopping to stop that. So, if your hunting someone, just wait a few mins for them to come back onto the server.

Because combat logging isn't only quitting after you get hit. It starts from the point someone is firing at you, hitting you or not. Well ye, it could mean more, but this is in regards to your case. You can log out if you see someone coming and they haven't seen you, but you might have the tough luck of them finding the body. So now you can actually wait for them to leave or at least fend for yourself if they find you.

Edited by DontGoToBalotaAlone

Op must be a logger/hopper himself, you're not fooling anyone here;).

I was thinking that. because there is only a couple of test servers so if the OP has been hit by a timer when logging into a experimental then he too was server hopping.

GTFO OP you server hopping scum.

It really isn't that bad. It was implemented in the mod and I've never seen such an uproar against it. If you die because you logged out in an unsafe place and you die, who's fault is it?

Logging in and finding out you're dead and respawned will cause some confusion, because you'll never know why.

Combat logging and Server hopping are two different things. People try to mix them up.

I like to sit in a bush and watch players log in at the control tower, run round 3 buildings, then log out, then the next one logs in logs out, then the next one logs in logs out, then the next one... Sometimes I shoot them. I sit in my bush and the rabbits talk to me. And the rabbits drink Rasputin beer too.

I like the players who just stay in the control tower, check it out, and then log to another control tower, then another, then another without ever leaving the building (I dont know, maybe they do 20 or 30 control towers?)..You could have a game called 'control tower' - it would be a real small game with only 3 floors and a roof - then you wouldn't need all this big space with hills and trees and rabbits and rivers and stuff. But those guys don't get to talk to the rabbits.

The ones who log in and out without leaving a building are harder to shoot. But if you hit your axe against a wall it sounds like a gunshot THEN they combat log. See?  It's a different thing.

NOW I can sit in my bush, and when they log out I can cut their heads off with my axe and they'll never know why they respawned. .. Ok, that's cool.

xx  pilgrim

[bring back sidechannel]

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

I came to the conclusion that there are no more nice players out there, if you roam in a group that means you are a hostile force and most likely if you happen upon a single player that pearson will lose all their gear, biggest threat in this game now is running around solo, its not the zombies or that lack of gear its the roaming bands of other players, me and my friend observed quite a few scenarios where a single player was chased down and robbed, this server hopping and combat logging is the least of your worries.

Ya'll should understand these fixes have nothing to do with server hopping for loot.

The balanced in game loot economy will fix that upon implementation.

So, once that's done, go ahead and hit up every single server on the shard, one is no more likely to spawn the item you're looking for than the next. Even more so, what you're looking for might have spawned on the first server, in the next spot you were going to look, but since you've now hopped away... goodbye loot.

Well it seems to me that the ones that hop from server to server will be the first casualties of DayZ because they are likely to be the ones that will get sick of the game and not play it any more,  because they are not likely to run around for hours collecting loot, after this timer for logging in and out comes in the next patch.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing ? its good that the hoppers are fewer but then so will the players ? even with this new patch implemented they can still hop a minimum of every 5 minutes  although it would be slightly more peril involved  with the 30 sec logging out penalty implemented

I would say it would hurt the combat loggers or the innocent player trying to avoid getting killed mostly

Because that won't deal with the Ghosting/Server Jumping for loot cases. The currently trialed system in the Exp build fixes all of these at the same time.

Plus this way, we get to use the F3 Sit animation as a tactic. Think about it!

I would say it would hurt the combat loggers or the innocent player trying to avoid getting killed mostly

These two cases are exactly the same. They are trying to beat the game in an illigitimate way.

As to losing player, I don't see it. We lose players if nothing is done, we lose players if something is done. TBH, doing nothing would produce a game that would be far worse to play and would be actively pushing people to use these exploits to compete on an equal footing. If we do something as is implemented in the Exp builds we lose players that IMHO we CAN bear to lose. I sure won't be shedding a tear for them!

In the mod people stayed with one (or 2) servers because of vehicles and tents.  So this server hopping will die down in a while. It won't be different to what it was it was in the mod. No one complained except about script cheats.

30 sec log would discourage ghosting, or make it a possible disadvantage to try to ghost in a fight, instead of only an unfair advantage. That's good.

The 'no combat log' worked well in the mod for what it was designed to do, except it glitched sometimes.

A 30 sec log out would be great if you could press "log out" and leave the game after 30 secs as long as you did not do anything. If you do an action to countermand the logout, you're back in the game - this gives you a chance to react if something happens, or at least you know why you died.

So sitting down to log out is not a bad idea, you can still see what's happening but not do anything, and you have 30 seconds to change your mind about logging, till the timer runs out.

pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

I agree, it is quite annoying with the waiting times. I'm just waiting for a good private hive to come out, which is where my allegiance will stay. Problem solved.

I don’t have a problem with a log out and log in timer but having said timer leaving me open for attach with no way of countering is a bit much. As noted above a 30 second timer needs to start when you make your player sit once this timer has ended you can log out and your body disappears.

one quick question what happens to your body if you log on to a sever before the 30 second timer has runs out? 

one quick question what happens to your body if you log on to a sever before the 30 second timer has runs out? 

Haven't tested that! I don't think you physically can. I'll check tonight after work and report back.