Sign in to follow this  
jona (DayZ)

Amur Tiger in dayz?

Amur Tiger belongs in the dayz map?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Amur tiger roaming around then map of chernarus with all or similar mechanics mentioned in the topic on how it should challenge and affect you in Dayz?

Amur Tiger

8rM1hkS.jpg?1

Well rocket confirmed animals will be added to the game eventually but I'm guessing it would be only deer, wild pig and maybe wolfs and bears at a push. But if they did it so the animations were top notch surpassing games like Red Dead Farcry3 adding realistic behaviours that that animal is actually surviving and looking out for its own well being. Instead mindless killing you for no reason to walk away from your dead corpse not eating it and lock onto the next player like a bloody heat seeking missile which I hope the dev team for dayz don't do to animals since we already have zombies for that =D then would a Amur tiger be practically in dayz?

Well some people might think that a tiger might be too far fetched and if they was added they might aswell well add elephants and gorillas in dayz. But quite a few people suggest mountain lion in dayz when ever I see a topic about wildlife on the forums but a Amur tiger makes a lot more sense to me the a mountain lion considering were the fictional country is located neighbouring Russia were Amur tigers live. And tigers are pretty much adaptable in nearly any environment in the world, They wouldn't be a immersion breaker for me but I don't know 100% of the lore to the arma2 map and these Amur tigers do live east Russia realistically so I can see why some people might disagree.                                                                                                 

1KBWAYc.jpg?1

Game play advantages of a tiger in Dayz

General idea of how the tiger affects you

Well the tiger would be a ambush predator relying on sound sight and smell. Most of the time deaths from the tiger should be by killing you with a bite to the neck if it sees you as prey so it would be a serious threat to concern yourself at any position on the map and this tiger will need to eat and drink like you and should behave accordantly to so if its thirsty it might go to a pond or river and drink if its hungry then it might find another animal, player or a zombie to eat, considering zombies on this game don't seem to be rotten flesh with skin falling off there faces full of diseases yet. What the tiger can do compared to the bear and wolf is climb and jump so this tiger could climb and jump on top of rooftops and trees if it sees fit for a high vantage point as tigers do this in real life to scan the area for prey and use leverage as another ambush point for prey.

Balancing for the tiger 

Well in my mind the tiger should be lighting fast unpredictable and be able to take a beating but able to bleeding out if shot and ofc head shots and vital organ shots should take the beast down if its the higher calibre considering these things I would imagine would have rock solid bone and muscle and in game much more health than a player. I think visual it should be modelled and sized on the biggest specimens of Amur tiger recorded in real life so it feels more impressive and intentness if you some how spot 1 and get the heart pumping feeling out your mouth as if you see some one with a m4 

Actually balancing well there should be only a few tigers spawned in the map on one server spread far apart from each other. That's all fine and dandy but how to I actually defend my self from this merciless beats? Well there's a few things they don't involve a weapon firstly if your in a group and a tiger might be stalking you out of sight and these things are ambush predators so some form of protection might be this.

bMObdet.jpg?1

A tiger is much less likely to attack prey if its looking right at them these masks give the allusion to the tiger that these people a looking at them and in real life this has reduced tiger attacks on people. Or how about holding down caps lock and and screaming down your mic which might have a small chance of deterring the tiger away as I saw on a documentary when a tiger expert in India was getting charged by a tiger.

This is my suggestion for gameplay mechanics for a tiger pretty simple and definitely can be expanded on but this is a very rough idea in my head on why a tiger might be a good idea it would give players something to worry about in the woods and provide different game play and it would be just cool to see in the distance a tiger mauling something and dragging it up a tree would make the map feel more alive. Most of this stems off a topic I made called clever animals which is kind of mad and maybe technically impossible for the dayz dev team but I just jolted down a bunch of random ideas I thought was good about on how I think animals should be in dayz.

Edited by jona
  • Like 6

I like, here take my beans!

The Amur tiger's range is nowhere near Chernarus, it's thousands of miles away, and according to Wikipedia there's only about 400 of them.

Tigers in DayZ? Absolutely no way.

Once found in the taiga and boreal forests of the Russian Far East, China, and the Korean peninsula, it is now restricted to two provinces in the Russian Far East, and possibly to small pockets in the border areas of China.
Edited by Gews
  • Like 7

This is really diverse. Although I just can't picture the Amur Tiger in Chernarus, it is native to the area and would be a beautiful sight to see on one's journey. 

I would REALLY love to see Wolves, Bears, and Wild Boars in DayZ.

• Wolves in Packs
  • Bears in pairs, or with cubs, or just alone
  • Wild Boars sniffing the ground, until threatened by enemy presence
  • 1 Amur Tiger in Chernarus at a time scouting the woodlands, looking for food and water, and may charge from behind

Anything to deter just a little from PvP and focus a little more on PvE, for survival reasons. You can use the meat from these animals for food, as well as the fur to trade to vendors or make clothing, if they implement vendors with supplies.

Edited by AsHawkins
  • Like 1

Haha, very nice.

But I would probably prefer a bear.

Black, Grizzly, Brown.

Not sure which fit the area, but those three are pretty global right?

Wild boars are very strong for their size.

Ofcourse they would be more trouble for the melee equipped player, but they should offer a rare and exciting challenge when beating the bush.

Edited by AP_Norris
  • Like 2

Erm just log of dayz for a few hours, go play farcry 3 for your tiger fix.

Well written post though, just don't agree or like the idea.

Edited by Crit

Erm just log of dayz for a few hours, go play farcry 3 for your tiger fix.

Well written post though, just don't agree or like the idea.

its not about the tiger. its about the challange.

nature is rising up again when the human civilisation is down. 

btw: wild boars are mother natures handgranates XD a hunter have tell me that a wild boar have break his bycicle in half.

you dont believe how good you can climp in this situation XD

@: app norris. even with guns you have trubble. wild boars have a very strong frontshield of muscles and bones. you must make a heatshot behind the ear from the site into his brain. no easy lunch 

Edited by Kenny Kyle
  • Like 2

I agree with Kenny kyle its more of the challenge because a bear or wolf isn't going to offer you the same challenge as a tiger and I think its plausible to have tiger in a country next to Russia were zombies exist and the country is fictional which makes it more acceptable to me. Gews has a good point as well but from what I have seen from his posts he likes to keep stuff very realistic and if it was up to him doubt there wouldn't be any western gear on the map but he's not the only 1 ofc. 

I'm cool with a few predatory animals. Chernarus could have a zoo. Well, when the apocalypse happened those animals broke out.

Since some animals would be better suited to surviving in a new environment than other, they possibly reproduced and there are now small numbers of some exotic animals sustaining themselves. Make em' a rare sight, uncommon compared to game animals and make em' threats. 

Now you have to compete with other predatory animals that are hunting the same kind of game as you are.  

• Like 1

A zoo is another plausible excuse as well but cherno is a shit hole so I doubt that would have zoos or any tourist attractions. I believe the tiger doesn't need that excuse to be in the game considering the map is fictional tigers could be native there since the country is next to Russia or maybe the whole world is infected and animals flourished with the death of man and spread since what threat is a infected in dayz to most animals really a human that windmills which is slow and dumb and cant infect anything else that's all what they are.

• Like 1

Having 1 or 2 Amur Tigers would be unique to the game, seeing as they do exist around the geological area - and Mankind has significantly decreased and become food for predators.

How awesome would it be to see a big Russian cat walking through the woods, to hunt or be hunted. 

It would be beautiful, and even though you conformists want this game to be only about surviving and dull grey crap, It would be exciting for alot of players to see this kind of immersion. 

maybe, but i hunt the most dangerous game. 

i don't need no tigers. 

maybe, but i hunt the most dangerous game. 

i don't need no tigers. 

You would be game for the tigers =P

A fast moving high hp predator would be really neat so long as they were few and far between.

Ye I think the bear and wolf don't offer the same game play as a tiger would I bet in bursts of speed the tiger is much faster then those two aswell.

You would be game for the tigers =P

Not with an M4, I wouldn't.

(unless i'm one of the AI from Far Cry 3, then I'm fucked no matter what I have)

Edited by Chaingunfighter

The Amur tiger's range is nowhere near Chernarus, it's thousands of miles away, and according to Wikipedia there's only about 400 of them.

Tigers in DayZ? Absolutely no way.

Brony scum, I know that Chernarus is based on real life locations (such as Czechoslovakia, yes?) but you can't say straight up

The Amur tiger's range is nowhere near Chernarus, it's thousands of miles away

Chernarus is a fictional country and all we really know within canon is that it's a post-Soviet state. That covers a broad area, including the Russian Far East.

Haha, very nice.

But I would probably prefer a bear.

Black, Grizzly, Brown.

Not sure which fit the area, but those three are pretty global right?

Wild boars are very strong for their size.

Ofcourse they would be more trouble for the melee equipped player, but they should offer a rare and exciting challenge when beating the bush.

I've had the same idea as OP, having the amur tiger as a rare and elusive north-of-the-map-forest predator; but yeah, a brown bear would be more realistic.

It would be cool though having the Amur Tiger as a cryptid-type thing which players could have sightings of-- other games have this tradition, like the Sasquatch in GTA San Andreas or Herobrine in Minecraft -- but you can't have everything. Brown bears all the way.

• Like 1

As for ideas on behaviour of the bear/tiger/wolf:

• Wolves are roughly comparable in HP to a zombie and run faster. They will flee if there are multiple players [3+] nearby or if there is a gunshot, will stay and observe at a distance [then leave eventually] if there is 1/2 humans and 1/2 wolves, and will attack a lone human if they are in a pack [3+] or the human is grievously injured. They stray a little bit into towns, but mostly occupy the deep forest. YOU CAN'T TRAIN THEM, DON'T BE RETARDED. They can sniff out blood and will hunt injured players from about 1 kilometre away. Each server has approximately 15, 20 maximum. Their aggression is based on weakness of players by size/injury, and they will move away if you get too close and they aren't attacking. They yield a little meat and a grey fur skin pelt on death if you cut them up with a knife/improvised knife/bayonet/axe/improvised axe. They "freeze" in place to minimise server load when no players are around within 2 k.
  • Bears can sustain multiple shots from a gun or rifle, about 14 pistol shots, unless shot cleanly in the neck, upper head or heart by a high-powered rifle or magnum, which can kill in a single hit [thanks Google http://www.fieldandstream.com/answers/hunting/big-game-hunting/big-game-hunting-season-tips/how-many-shots-does-it-take-take-down-]. They can also take 20 hits from any melee weapon to kill. Bears are a little unpredictable-- sometimes they will be aggressive on sight [on a random chance; 1/4 times] because they are hungry, but apart from that they will be docile if you don't venture closer than 40 feet away. They amble around looking bear-like. Gunshots and loud noises can sometimes make them aggressive; they will charge you at high speed and swipe with their big ass claws and bite you. They stick to forests. Their corpse can be cut up with a knife/improvised knife/bayonet/axe/improvised axe to get lots of meat and a dark brown fur bearskin. A server will have about 4 bears, and they "freeze" in place when no players are nearby to minimise server load.
  • The Amur Tiger will be one of a kind, exceptionally elusive north-dwelling creature of the forest and occasionally midmap. It hunts lone players, has a 500m blood scent range radius, and stalks then attacks its prey. It will flee anything but a lone player, and will run far away from any loud noises it hears from as far as two kilometres away. It can take only a little less damage than the Brown Bear, but is faster, and can hide up trees and pounce from them.

Due to the difficulty of implementing some of this, it should probably be a luxury game feature much later in the game. It will make PvE woodsman players' lives much more interesting.

Edited by bobotype3334
  • Like 1

50/50  :o would have thought more people would be in favour of the tiger in dayz but I understand why people are against it. Cherno isn't exactly the taiga forest its more farmland more then anything. I think dayz dev team should make a huge wilderness up north the size of today's map that has no sign of civilization so no zombies but lots land marks like lakes rivers mountains etc and lots of animals there for you to interact with and maybe build a shelter of some kind and just survive the elements like what Yukon people do. Then i think a tiger wouldn't be so much of a bad idea to some people if there was a area like that for it to live on the map.

Edited by jona

Making such hard model and related animations for a mob that need to be implemented in very few number to have sense it's a waste of time IMO. I will prefer see big pack of zeds roaming around the whole map instead of single dangerous mob.