anathol

Body Tepmerature, wet clothes, rainfalls

1. Rainfalls (which actually affect players) - add different kinds of rain -> sprinkle/drizzling (light rain), downpour (heavy rain), storm (heavy rain+thunderbolts), It should be clearly visible, whether it will rain in the area just by just by observing clouds...

players should hide from rainfalls otherwise their clothes will be soaked (indicator for clothes - wet/dry)... and this will lead to ---> decrease of your body temperature...

2. Body temperature - " I'm cold " by wearing wet clothes you will be cold and this will lead to ---> your hands start to shake which will decrease your aiming with gun ... You can also get sick that will lead to ---> vulnerability, your movement will slow etc.

3. Bonfire - to avoid all this, the player would have to start the fire and get warm, dry the clothes... there should be also visible smoke from that fire which players would see even at a greater distance... (it can attract bandits)

All this can be applied in the future to the seasons (winter with snow, day/night temperature etc.)

I hope it will appear in the full game .. ;)

• Like 3

We'll probably see this in the future since clothes get wet already.

You get damp, wet and soaking wet status on items when you go into water. (see the soaking wet holster, crawled into some water)

2014_01_31_00031.jpg

Not only rain. But I would LOVE to see snow implemented in DayZ. 

• Hyperthermia from the Heat
  • Hypothermia from the Cold

They already have day and night on real time, let's have seasons too!

Edited by AsHawkins
  • Like 1

heavy rain and storms will be sometime in alpha... i also wish there would be a snow covered cherno one day with snow tracks of survivors, hope x-mas 2014 :)

I have to (respectfully) disagree on this one.  Sorry to rain on the parade.

If you brought this idea up to me just a few months ago, it'd sound awesome to me.  A more realistic, gritty element of danger based on the weather.  I mean, people can get sick from being cold, and die from being sick.  Wet clothes would really mess you up if you traveled in them for prolonged periods of time.  Makes sense.

But, I have played a mod like this already, on Skyrim.  It's called "Frostfall."  You had everything there, from clothes getting damp, danger from traveling in freezing temperatures, dropping temps the further north you went, building fires to stay warm, wearing fur armor to keep your body temp higher, ducking indoors (a tavern, for example) to warm yourself again.  This mod is one of the most popular mods of Skyrim, and that says a lot.  It's very fleshed out, deeply tested, and extremely detailed.  There were even different properties for materials; for example, fur protected you (mostly) from frigid air.  But in the rain, fur soaked up water, which was bad news.

My friend and I couldn't wait to try it.  We installed it.  Played.  And we hated it.  It sucked so bad.

At first it was neat seeing condensation on your character's breath, or snow in the fur we wore.  Soon though, no longer could we actually think solely about playing the game.  The weather itself became the biggest threat to our character.  The idea of that might sound cool, but damn, I assure you it's not.  We couldn't travel from one landmark to the next without having to pitch a damned tent and make a fire.  You couldn't just enjoy the game without constantly worrying in the back of your mind, "Okay, when am I gonna get cold again?"

In DayZ, we already have to worry about eating and drinking constantly, which in my opinion is a bit obnoxious, anyway.  I know, trust me, I know it sounds awesome, having to worry about weather, cold and sickness.  At first glance, it'd add so much to the experience.  But keyword there is worry about the weather.  Or sickness.  The more you're worrying, rather than having fun, even in a realistic game, the harder it becomes to enjoy.  Believe me, we're all gonna be searching like mad for pills and stuff to counteract sickness just as much as we need canned beans.

In my humble opinion, it'd just add more stress to the experience, and I personally want the opposite.

• Like 1

This is a great point. The more stress in a game the less appealing it will be to play, I still give a plus for climates though.

the game needs real weather and effects on health, clothes and agility so bad. I can´t imagine it won´t be implemented to be honest. Actually, in late december, between xmas and new year´s I encountered rain. It lasted half an hour. The sky went dark, visibility went away, and if I remember correct, all my clothes turned ´damp´!

I have to (respectfully) disagree on this one.  Sorry to rain on the parade.

If you brought this idea up to me just a few months ago, it'd sound awesome to me.  A more realistic, gritty element of danger based on the weather.  I mean, people can get sick from being cold, and die from being sick.  Wet clothes would really mess you up if you traveled in them for prolonged periods of time.  Makes sense.

But, I have played a mod like this already, on Skyrim.  It's called "Frostfall."  You had everything there, from clothes getting damp, danger from traveling in freezing temperatures, dropping temps the further north you went, building fires to stay warm, wearing fur armor to keep your body temp higher, ducking indoors (a tavern, for example) to warm yourself again.  This mod is one of the most popular mods of Skyrim, and that says a lot.  It's very fleshed out, deeply tested, and extremely detailed.  There were even different properties for materials; for example, fur protected you (mostly) from frigid air.  But in the rain, fur soaked up water, which was bad news.

My friend and I couldn't wait to try it.  We installed it.  Played.  And we hated it.  It sucked so bad.

At first it was neat seeing condensation on your character's breath, or snow in the fur we wore.  Soon though, no longer could we actually think solely about playing the game.  The weather itself became the biggest threat to our character.  The idea of that might sound cool, but damn, I assure you it's not.  We couldn't travel from one landmark to the next without having to pitch a damned tent and make a fire.  You couldn't just enjoy the game without constantly worrying in the back of your mind, "Okay, when am I gonna get cold again?"

In DayZ, we already have to worry about eating and drinking constantly, which in my opinion is a bit obnoxious, anyway.  I know, trust me, I know it sounds awesome, having to worry about weather, cold and sickness.  At first glance, it'd add so much to the experience.  But keyword there is worry about the weather.  Or sickness.  The more you're worrying, rather than having fun, even in a realistic game, the harder it becomes to enjoy.  Believe me, we're all gonna be searching like mad for pills and stuff to counteract sickness just as much as we need canned beans.

In my humble opinion, it'd just add more stress to the experience, and I personally want the opposite.

I literally cannot disagree with you more. I think your opinion is wrong and I argue against it pretty much diametrically.

• Like 1

I´m soo with TomJeff ^ It seems Norwind1986 is in the wrong game, because I think this is where it´s going as it should. This is exactly about stress, and in survival, the weather is the biggest killer.

• Like 2

so. Norwind and ashawkin. All the adversities from the environment, in a game, stress you out and put you off the game, and from having fun.

But, then, what do you expect to be doing in a game like this to have fun (and i stress the point that it's a survival game) ?

I am interested in your answer

weather, hunger/thirst, infection, and dangerous animals should be the most difficult aspects of the game, because it's set for the most part in woods and fields. If it was a metropolis then it would have been a different story.

The deal, here, is not about worrying for these factors, but taking them into considerations BEFORE you go and do those things you expect to be fun in the game. I dunno, shooting people, looting bases etc. Before you leave your shelter, eat and drink well, wear appropriate clothing.

When (and if) you return, just scavange some food, or hunt an animal, and return to your shelter. Check out your loot, while you eat and drink, and rest. Not so difficult. And more varied than just running around killing people and looting buildings all the time. It'd eventually become dull.

we dont want a dull game. Or do we?

If people got rained on, they'd just join another server. I really like the weather changing in the game instead of 24/7 clear sky + Day servers.  Variety makes the game fun.

I am interested in your answer

I'm not saying I would be put off from the game. Are you kidding? DayZ is a revolution, And I will be damned if I don't get to experience the evolution.

But added stress was a good point, Ofcourse hunger, thirst, energy, among other things are hard to handle, just some people may not be ready to handle the dangers of every step in DayZ. But me? Bring on the snow, tropical storms, forest fires, tsunamis, floods, heat waves, infection outbreaks. I don't care.

I love it.

then those people need a quick class in survival skills, to grow some balls, or choose a easier game, coz Dayz aint gonna get any easier in the future (i hope).

Bring on harsh weather!!!!

I'll let you stay in my shelter during the storm, for some beans.

• Like 1

I'm just sharing what I experienced with that other mod.  I would love to see weather in DayZ.  Rain, snow, that'd be neat.  I will also admit this; Skyrim was nearly always in the snow, so it was always an issue, constantly trying to stay warm.  DayZ would definitely not be that way.  I doubt there'd be a rainstorm every 5 minutes, so yeah, I can see what you all are saying.  If a storm came rolling in every so often, it could be fun to have to try to find shelter and stuff.  Could add fun, tense situations in which you might have to appeal to other players to let you in while it's raining outside, etc.

All I truly meant to get across was that a game can stop being fun if you have far too much to worry about.  Would this make or break things?  Nah, I don't think so.  But if you start stacking things on like, oh, I don't know; you can die from diarrhea, kidney stones, a cold, you breathe in too much smoke near a smoke stack, etc, then things can quickly start to get out of hand.  Let's throw in poison berries in the bushes, random broken ankles (because that's realistic) and disease transmitted by mosquitos, too.  Maybe there can be a poisonous spider in that colorful new backpack you just picked up that bites you when you look inside it for the first time.

I'm not being a smart-ass to be rude; I'm just making a point.

Also, for context's sake, I posted this after reading on another forum, someone suggesting players spawn w/ near-sighted or far-sighted vision, and they must find or craft glasses so they can see.  In the meantime, their vision is blurry accordingly.  That's not fun, at all.

By itself, the weather/sickness idea for DayZ could work.  But you start stacking hazards up without setting any boundaries, it becomes a "how many ways can the environment kill me," game.  I like the risks and dangers of player-to-player interaction this game offers above simply scavenging for food.  It's just my opinion; if you disagree with me, that's absolutely fine.  You have all rights to.  I'm just saying all this as a word of caution.  It's a slippery slope.

I think it could work, but I think the idea needs to be finely balanced to work properly. For instance I don't think being out in the rain if you don't have a jacket is that much of an issue unless the temperature is low, I don't want to see my character getting hypothermia after 20 seconds of being wet just for the sake of difficulty. Conversely I don't think you should get heatstroke just for wearing a hoody.

Lastly like I say on everything else I comment on what I want more than anything is for them to provide a fully functional version of the mod, with working Zombies, good performance and glitch free (as near as dammit). This is new content and to me isn't a priority, unless it can be introduced without affecting performance.

• Like 2

i confide in the devs having a better than average common sense and balancing skills. This is the Arma2 team, or, people from it, anyway. Not some random game creators. They know what they're doing. They won't put random stuff in the game just for the sake of it. Even less obvious stuff has a purpose in the game, most of the times an indirect purpose. That's what makes it such a great game already in its EAA state

• Like 1

I've played Frostfall.

I love the imagination that's been put into it, and I would play it again. It really changes the Skyrim experience. In addition to all the survival features it adds, it has a scale you can adjust in the user menu that allows you to tone down the default settings. That way you don't freeze as fast, etc.

Hunger/thirst/sickness were not implemented in Frostfall last time I played it. You had to get a separate mod if you wanted to stack those on: Realistic Needs & Diseases. One of the most beautiful things about both was that you could uncheck a box to take away the lethality factor. For instance, if you wanted, you'd suffer progressive status effects from being sick or frozen, but you'd never outright die. It's fun to toy with both mods and find the balance that works for you.

If I stop and think about it, the reason I uninstalled them was not the stress they added to the game. The player-driven balancing options solved that. Ultimately, it was the resource pull on my machine. There are too darn many clever mod authors putting out good stuff for Skyrim. You have to pick and choose among them to avoid stability issues related to mod-mod interactions.

Okay then, there's that quick spiel. Moving on to the highlight game, DayZ.

Now I've only logged 9 hours so far on DayZ, but here's what I'm having trouble with. My DayZ characters metabolize food faster than even me, and I eat a lot. I'm inhaling something every couple hours in real life. I understand that the DayZ character is out there busting his/her butt, jogging around, pumped full of adrenaline, fearful of zombies, getting geared up, sweating, etc. But being on the brink of death from starvation every 15-30 minutes or less is a little bit aggravating. Especially since all of said adrenaline would effectively kick the parasympathetic nervous system into hibernation mode, but we won't get into that.

The hunger ends up dominating my gameplay experience, preventing me from exploring the island and focusing on interacting with others as much as I'd truly love to in a fun-filled game. I've run across several people now who have asked me if I have spare food, and I have to tell them that I don't have any and that I'm starving as well. In truth, besides the small bit after I first spawn, I'm never not starving or thirsty. I hope they continue to tone that down some more with the patches. Realistic needs is a great concept, if balanced.

It really drives me up the figurative wall when I FINALLY get my hands on a compass for the first time, but I'm moments away from collapsing of starvation. I'm new to DayZ Standalone and I never played the mod, so I don't know anything about the layout of Chernarus. A damaged, dirty compass is my first opportunity to start to get my bearings. You know, the whole 'where is this in relation to this' mindset where you start to piece things together. That moment when I found the compass, I almost didn't care about the compass. The reason why is that I was busy tearing through the town like a madman trying to find a banana or a potato or SOMETHING ANYTHING PLEASE that would prevent me from--

You are unconscious.

... nevermind.

That post somewhere that suggested adding vision impairment -- I'm with Norwind on that one. My own vision is already impaired. I view the game through unique eyes. Cleaning that spot off my lens and putting my glasses on my face so that I can see the DayZ world better is something I already do anyway. It's not something I do to add an element of fun to my life, and I don't need the game to add in that chore for my character, too. In effect, that would probably only strain my real eyes even more, requiring a prescription adjustment sooner.

Another person talked about learning survival skills. Indeed! Please, learn them! It's so much fun being out in the fresh air and the real-life outdoors while simultaneously discovering that you can last great lengths of time on quite little. I'm a big fan of the planning aspect that goes into backpacking trips. Food, supplies, etc. There's something satisfying about figuring out how to get by with the bare minimum. By the way, being able to tear your shirt into rags for various uses in DayZ is genius. Did you know that, when desperate enough, a soldier will cut the sleeves off his undershirt and use them to wipe his butt? Then after the sleeves, he'll work his way up from the bottom of the shirt. The underwear are probably already long gone by this time. That's how you really go commando.

Bottom line, humans are resilient. If you're going to revolutionize the gaming industry by making a breakthrough survival game, balance it carefully. Weather changes are a neat concept, and weather effects related to survivalism could maybe possibly potentially hypothetically work if implemented very gradually and carefully and with significant forethought. When more of the kinks are worked out, this game is going to have people glued to it for literally hours and days! Probably already does, but I bet that's nothing compared to the stampede of players that's to come. So a system with weather effects and hunger and thirst effects would do just fine if it closely matched how things happen in reality. My stomach should not be grumbling before I search my sixth house. It should only be grumbling perhaps when the sun is in a noticeably different position in the sky from the last time I ate.

Take the one nerd living in mom's basement for example (you know the guy I'm talking about; everybody yells at him on Youtube and in forums like this one). He will probably head up to the kitchen and grab a mug of 4-hour-old coffee when he wakes up at 10am. He'll eat the second-to-last cinnamon roll while standing and leaning against the counter, waiting for the coffee to warm back up a bit. Then he'll disappear back into the deep dank dark until, say, midafternoon. At which point, the intense sunlight screaming through the kitchen blinds above the sink will once again blast his face as he microwaves his macaroni and cheese cup. Meanwhile, his DayZ character (assuming he has miraculously survived a single run all morning) has eaten 17 cans of spaghetti, 3 tins of sardines, a rotten banana, 9 rotten kiwi, two oranges, 2 cans of beans, various vitamins... I mean COME ON! A group of four could last a week or more on that!

But HEY, wait. At least, AT LEAST, Mr. Nerd's character didn't develop a respiratory infection from exploring the moist coastal region for so many hours. He's got that going for him. One way or another, I love the imagination of the DayZ development team. They've got a good thing going here, and I hope they continue to listen to feedback and suggestions related to game content verrrry carefully as time wears on.

*wave

• Like 3

To have any credibility thermoregulation and consequences for not keeping your temperature within the narrow range compatible with life HAS to be implemented. As suggested above the wet clothes thing and the fact that the mod had a rudimentary temperature system suggests that this is in the pipes.

@explorer-in-chief - I think the stuff about Frostfall and gameplay is a balance issue. For me I think ramping up the PvE in the restricted (physiology versus the physics of the environment) sense is important to make DayZ have chops as a survival game.

DayZ is a game about survival, risk management, preparation, and patience.

Every so often it would be fantastic if you could stop and ask yourself "How do I want to progress?" For Example:

Do I scavenge and prepare for:

*Raiding bandit patrolled schools, fire-stations, and police stations?
*Staking a claim to a rare vehicle and get it up and running, facing off against others with the same goal?
*Getting gear at airfields, potentially trafficked by snipers and bandits?
*Navigating through the woods for tree stands, barns, and outlying cities for potential civilian firearms?
*Risking getting into a skirmish at the military tents?
*Facing off with hordes of zombies(when zombies are a threat) in the bigger cities for gear?
*Do the necessary prep-work and scavenging for winterized clothing and camping materials to access treacherous regions for potential gear there?

*Go to the woods and making a living off the land, crafting leather gear and eating bunniez?

Progression should not be linear with a narrow amount of good loot spawns, nor should the map be saturated with high end gear----but every choice should have it's associated risks.

What this game needs most is to feel like the PvE aspect of it out to devour you. Right now the game world is rather tame. A weather/body temperature system would be absolutely fantastic. As others have mentioned, the mod Frostfall in Skyrim does this so well that many players simply do not play the game without it. It adds a level of intensity and a sense that the environment is harsh and unforgiving. Incredibly immersive.

Edited by Rudette

*snip*

That.. Was was beautifully explained. I really hope a Developer does see this post, or a point similar, to get the hunger balanced.

It adds a level of intensity and a sense that the environment is harsh and unforgiving. Incredibly immersive.

I agree with that. Weather should take a part in the Gameplay. I understand the point, that people find it harsh already, because sometimes you check 100 houses and you will find only rotten fruits or can food and you have nothing to open it and then you starve. So if you add a weather system you should also make the eating-system easier (spawn more food or decrease the rate of decay — hunting will also make it easier I guess).

Every weather should also have its benifits:

• When it is raining you can collect water
  • Fog hides you from other players or zombies
  • When there is snow on the floor you may cook the snow to get some water. Also: animal tracks? (I am not sure if it really needs snow)