Sign in to follow this  
machiavelli

Killed=Temporary Server Ban

Camp the body of whoever you killed to see who comes running in? If you're up against groups alone or with an inferior force, you're not going to loot any bodies anyway. Thats just the advantage of having a group; they can help you survive and help you get started again. You as the killer, if you want to loot the corpse or prevent them from looting it, should play in groups then.

I don't play DayZ as a death match (although not against killing another player if necessary) so I don't see it as a matter of me versus them or racking up a kill count. The problem is it's just not plausible to be able to find your own dead body and loot it, and it undermines the importance of permadeath.

Dead people's gear gets damaged. When they actually make ruined items unusable (i think next update), it's gonna make running back to your body pretty useless, or not much worth it. Maybe you can salvage something, but it'd be damaged anyway, and the rest will be ruined.

I too prefer to have the bodies remain there, for the lived in feel. They cant do it now due to optimisations, but i hope they will. You can hide/bury the body, but it will stay there otherwise, and rot lol.

It's sort of metagaming, running back to your body or rejoining your squad, but it's not a major metagaming issue. It's a social game, we play together, it should not be limited or penalized.

Instead, personally, i'd put more focus in encouraging staying alive, rather than penalizing dying. If staying alive has true value, then people will automatically want to do that. Current reasons, as others have mentioned, are position and gear. Maybe we could have a alive timer, visible as statistics to yourself, and dead players boards with this statistics available to everyone, so you could check out how long john doe survived and maybe you feel inclined to imitate or beat the record.

If a simple skill system would be implemented, obviously would make staying alive more important.

Maybe some other small bonus, one that does not affect gameplay considerably, but is nice to achieve, i dunno, like scars, tattoos, unique items, special skills...i dunno.

It's funny, because my ingame character is John Doe :P. 

I never did this for any sole purpose, but I've had it since I picked up ArmA 2 in 09' and it's just stayed.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

your buddies do that Iike mentioned up in the thread. not you

My buddies? I'm sorry but I don't understand what you're on about...

Not a good idea.

I've never been able to get back to my body when I try. Now, I go by "if I've been shot I've been looted". I don't even bother.

And wouldn't this also trip the server-hopping function, now that you're switching servers, and lock you out for X-time?

Not worth it.

Edited by sacrdandprofne

this would get really annoying when vehicles/bases get added. killed after restart = unable to play for 4 hours

I like the OP's idea - provided it can be toggled on or off by server admins.  

This is not just about preventing corpse runs to reclaim loot.  In fact, I think the main benefit of this feature would be to reduce deathmatch-style play (especially in areas that are close to re-spawn points) by removing killed players from the action, i.e. if you die you can no longer influence the scenario unfolding on that server.  This will become even more important once we have base-building, and vehicles allowing quick movement around the map.  Attacking and defending a base will be quite different if attacking players are able to die, re-spawn and get back to the same area relatively quickly, with all the intel they gathered on their first attempt.  Same goes for defenders.  The idea of re-spawns as "reinforcements" has some validity in a military game, but surely not in a post-apocalyptic survival game.  

I can't see how this would significantly cramp anyone's style - you could always play on a server that has this feature disabled, or you could agree with your group that you'll all move to another server if one of you gets killed.