Sanitöter

Reduce The Common Lag In Dayz [Tutorial]

So what are the side effects of this?

There must be some!

Like I said on the first page, your overall download-speed MAY slow down a bit. This happened to me, and is a known side effect of this fix. Don't ask me why, I have no idea, but it can happen.

So what are the side effects of this?

There must be some!

as acid says is the download speed MAY reduced slightly, but not really noticeably. I have a 16k line and normally loaded with 1.60 mb down now with 1.55 mb

Client-server interval 1 (my guide setting)

- Each packet is checked 
- Ping decreases 
- At any packet loss gehts coincide with the next one, a LAG maximum of 1 package 
- By the transmission of the TCP header in each packet decreases slightly the download rate

Client-server interval 2 (standard)

- Two packets are in parallel or sequentially tested 
- Slightly higher ping 
- TCP-Header is sent with the first packet, the second Package is a pure data packet, so the download rate increases because less total traffic 
- In case of loss of one packet, there is a "LAG" in the worst case are both package are declared unkindly
Edited by Sanitöter

Hello, thanks for the detailed tutorial and explanations, i recommend this topic to be highlited/pinned for other players out there.

I did notice a better response from my character, item usage, inventory lag and general cluncky-ness.

(for example : Eating/Drinking while holding something else in your hand used to be 2-3 clicks, dropping something on the floor would appear 30 seconds later, Menu bar was not responsive, etc,).

Not the case anymore.

Edited by Decembrie
  • Like 1

going to test this asap, also test the ping/download speed before and after with speedtest.net

will post results as soon as my prego wife waddles downtstairs and turns on teamviewer...

Like I said on the first page, your overall download-speed MAY slow down a bit. This happened to me, and is a known side effect of this fix. Don't ask me why, I have no idea, but it can happen.

It doesn't say that at all, it says "uses more bandwidth". This will in no way slow down your internet. It is NOT a known side effect of this at all.

going to test this asap, also test the ping/download speed before and after with speedtest.net

will post results as soon as my prego wife waddles downtstairs and turns on teamviewer...

Won't make any difference to ping or bandwidth available. It simply reduces the number of Acks used ie repeats.

Edited by Irenicus

Wow I will try. I have this issue a long time ago. Thanks so much bro. You have my beans

No lag between client and server anymore=Impossible.

thats true, and not true. you have less delay in your actions and its more fluid, instant action feeling.

do that, but note that a speedtest website can fluctuate much, it depends on wich server you get to test :P

It doesn't say that at all, it says "uses more bandwidth". This will in no way slow down your internet. It is NOT a known side effect of this at all.

Won't make any difference to ping or bandwidth available. It simply reduces the number of Acks used ie repeats.

i cant estimate what do you do here... you just sound bit negative, bad day maybe? ^^

understood, but my main concern is my download speed....if it changes by enough its not worth it for me.

• Like 1

i applied this and i use logmein remotely from work to home system.. can't tell difference yet on logmein but will try in game later tonight hopefully can confirm!

also i had two keys in regedit with my ip so i did them both.. 

thats true, and not true. you have less delay in your actions and its more fluid, instant action feeling.

When I say no lag. I mean lag as people intend the meaning, is a delay. There will always be a delay between client and server. We call it ping :) But you know that already. Just pointing out that you cannot elimate lag entirely

understood, but my main concern is my download speed....if it changes by enough its not worth it for me.

Applied this (strange it wasnt already done on my system as it's something I usually have already in place) and no difference to download speed. At least not a detectable difference. 1.0mb/s before and after.

Edited by Irenicus

do that, but note that a speedtest website can fluctuate much, it depends on wich server you get to test :P

i cant estimate what do you do here... you just sound bit negative, bad day maybe? ^^

Nothing negative about what I said...I simply said you will not see a difference to ping or bandwidth as that is not how this works.

yeah it definately improved things greatly beans for you...

I don't see what the problem is. Try it, if it doesn't work or has some negative effect, undo the changes. Simple as that.

OP gets beans.

Edited by Sinphaltimus

Guest Dwarden

so let me ask myself question, what does do TCP ACK settings to game which uses UDP

the answer shown in my mirror is just emotion of FACEPALM ...

hint: read again previous lines if you don't get what it means ... loop ...

TCPnodelay explained here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783904(v=ws.10).aspx

TCPackfrequency explained here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328890/en-us

more food for thinking http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/252342/tcpackfrequency1/#entry1399076

Setting the TcpAckFrequency may improve your apparent ping but will not improve your actual network speed. If anything, it may make it worse by increasing the number of actual packets being transmitted by your machine for the same amount of data.

When a computer connects to another computer using TCP it performs what is known as the TCP Three-way Handshake. what happens is this:

1. Client computer sends a SYN (synchronize) packet to the server computer

2. Server computer sends a SYN-ACK (SYN-acknowledged) packet to the client computer

3. Client computer sends a final ACK (ACK acknowledged packet to the server computer.

Thus begins the TCP connection.

All these SYN, SYN-ACK, and ACK packets carry no actual data. The Windows network stack, since Windows 2000 has, by default, only responded to every other TCP SYN packet unless additional data packets are not received within a specific period of time (per RFC-1122). This reduces the total number of non-data packets that must be sent. Changing the referenced registry value to 1 will cause Windows to respond to every SYN packet, thus doubling the TCP overhead for a connection. While this will likely improve the "ping" rating you get in online games (since it takes a SYN packet less time to be ACKed) it will not increase the actual speeds of data transfer but reduce it.

• Like 4

Pretty disconcerting that none of the devs knew about/tried this fix considering the magnitude of the lag problems in this game

No effect for me - dropping items still takes 15-30 seconds for them to appear in the vicinity :(

Please ignore my bovine stupidity.

Thank you very much - :beans: deposited. :thumbsup:

Edited by Mandrake

Had the massive desync problem that alot of people been having.

Have been trying to play for a few weeks now and then, (since the battleeye update, it has been unplayable)

After doing this, the first server i tried, worked quite fine. 

Kudos to you sir, i appriciate the help!

as acid says is the download speed MAY reduced slightly, but not really noticeably. I have a 16k line and normally loaded with 1.60 mb down now with 1.55 mb

Client-server interval 1 (my guide setting)

- Each packet is checked 
- Ping decreases 
- At any packet loss gehts coincide with the next one, a LAG maximum of 1 package 
- By the transmission of the TCP header in each packet decreases slightly the download rate

Client-server interval 2 (standard)

- Two packets are in parallel or sequentially tested 
- Slightly higher ping 
- TCP-Header is sent with the first packet, the second Package is a pure data packet, so the download rate increases because less total traffic 
- In case of loss of one packet, there is a "LAG" in the worst case are both package are declared unkindly

but as faster your connection is as more performance you lose due to the overhead.

I try to explain it a bit more. Sorry about my english.

What it does, it puts Data from on half filled Paket into an other half filled Paket. But half filled pakets don't appear every Second so it has to wait for it. That causes Lag but improves Performance
Let's look at a TCP/IP Paket:
There is a Frame around that Paket with needed data as Destination, Departure, Size, Priority, Safety etc etc. which causes Overhead (Bits which arent Data)
800px-UDP_encapsulation.svg.png
By disabling the Data Collection for an unfilled Paket you produce much more Overhead, and thats not a big problem but as I said, as faster your connection is as more Overhead you got = less Mbit/s usefull Data transferred ;)