oLoki182o

Alt Tab Death

Because map pieces are so scarce, we are forced to use alt tabbing to view a map of the game thru a website. I have lost count of the times where I find a spot in a town and NO body is around.

I sit there for a few mins and then all of a sudden I alt tab to view the map and when I alt tab back into the game... there is a Zombie on me.

• Like 1

i would avoid tabbing out anywhere near towns then unless accompanied by another person who would protect you.

also, check every car you find, map pieces are VERY commonly spawned in the seats / trunks

i would avoid tabbing out anywhere near towns then unless accompanied by another person who would protect you.

also, check every car you find, map pieces are VERY commonly spawned in the seats / trunks

Except cars no longer spawn lewt.

• Like 1

Steam layover

Much easier

• Like 2

Except cars no longer spawn lewt.

lol.. really there too?  my bad then, havent been able to play in a good week or so.

feel free to check cars again when they have gear...again :rolleyes:

Dual monitors ftw 

Sad...

DayZDB ruins the game for me. No longer a surprise or a challenge when you go and explore.

The only time I Alt+Tab is to check Skype, and thats about it.

Yeah maps are super rare, Kinda retarded, I mean did all the zombies burn most of them and tear up the rest in pieces? How can there be NO full maps left? come on lol 

You aren't -really- forced to go outside the game and look at the map. Exploring and getting lost is the best part! I never used an outside map and I now know the map by memory.

• Like 1

Sad...

DayZDB ruins the game for me. No longer a surprise or a challenge when you go and explore.

The only time I Alt+Tab is to check Skype, and thats about it.

Yeah sorry. I didn't play the mod or anything and din't want to spend 6 months learning the map just by walking around and exploring blindly. 

• Like 1

i wouldnt advocate using an external map but i guess i understand specially for players new to arma and playing on such a large map.

But if you have to alt tab town is not the place to do it unless as pointed out you are with someone to gurad you and even then i would do it in a 2 or 3 story building safe from zeds where you team mate has the advanatage over anyone sneaking in.

To the OP you deserved to die you ddint even clear the town before you decided to go checking a map i am hoping your tactical level of the game gets better and better or your going to be spending alot of time on the coast as a fresh spawn...

Yeah sorry. I didn't play the mod or anything and din't want to spend 6 months learning the map just by walking around and exploring blindly. 

Isn't that the whole point of starting without a map?

You can sort of roughly navigate to points of interest not using a map anyway, you just need a compass.

I mean, take one look at a map so you roughly know what Chernarus looks like (as any survivor would) and then put it away.

You would know that the NWAF is basically directly north of Cherno, and using good navigation, you can make it there easily.

Say you have to go around an obstacle. Now usually, in Arma, you don't have to navigate around an obstacle. I mean, there are no rivers or creeks or rock formations that you could hurt yourself on. But say, there's a town? Or a large group of players, or even just one well armed play in a town. How do you effectively navigate around that so that even though you have veered off course, you can still return to a point and then move roughly in that direction?

It's quite easy, using common sense. You just face where you are going, and then line up with something in that direction. It can be a house, a tree, a car, doesn't matter, just something unique. Good? Now pick a point, far away from your obstacle (if you need to be far away), and have it so that you can get there without meeting the obstacle, or being exposed to it. Now, just travel there, and then travel from there to your first point. Then resume your journey.

If you do have a map, but are completely lost, and they've disabled your player marker, you can also do a resection, but that isn't really necessary.

• Like 1

You can sort of roughly navigate to points of interest not using a map anyway, you just need a compass.

I mean, take one look at a map so you roughly know what Chernarus looks like (as any survivor would) and then put it away.

You would know that the NWAF is basically directly north of Cherno, and using good navigation, you can make it there easily.

Say you have to go around an obstacle. Now usually, in Arma, you don't have to navigate around an obstacle. I mean, there are no rivers or creeks or rock formations that you could hurt yourself on. But say, there's a town? Or a large group of players, or even just one well armed play in a town. How do you effectively navigate around that so that even though you have veered off course, you can still return to a point and then move roughly in that direction?

It's quite easy, using common sense. You just face where you are going, and then line up with something in that direction. It can be a house, a tree, a car, doesn't matter, just something unique. Good? Now pick a point, far away from your obstacle (if you need to be far away), and have it so that you can get there without meeting the obstacle, or being exposed to it. Now, just travel there, and then travel from there to your first point. Then resume your journey.

If you do have a map, but are completely lost, and they've disabled your player marker, you can also do a resection, but that isn't really necessary.

LOL this very much this learn the skills you need to navigate and survive the game.

I wish i could get lost again been storming chernarus for 5 years and well chernarus plus is a little different but only in it has extra towns and more enterable buildings. Blindly exploring is were the fun really is in this game discover new spots hell you may find one that you THINK will make a good camp/base spot you know that little area not in the path of going town to town but not to far out so its easy top get supplies and has a pond stream for water.......

• Like 2

Couple days ago i finally found pristine Long range scope at NEAF.

I ran out of the airfield, maybe 500metres and hide to the bush when checking the map. 

After i came back to game, there were two zombies scratchin me..Pristine scope turned in to badly damaged scope :D :(

Ah, also, if you do get a compass, and you happen to be doing good ol' hardcore navigation, remember to get your direction fairly accurate. I know it's difficult at the moment, but let me explain.

I am comfortable with the mils system and the degrees system. I know that for one kilometre, every mil you are off means 1 meter. Doesn't sound very big, does it? IT'S BLOODY ENORMOUS.

Because if you travel 2 kilometres, and your off by a bare 10 mils, that's TWENTY METRES. THOSE OF YOU WHO KNOW THE RAMIFICATIONS OF WHAT I SPEAK SHOULD KNOW WHAT I MEAN. Especially you, NorCalSniper.

Your average journey from Cherno to NWAF is 8 kilometres. Now, there are roughly 18 mils in one degree. 6400/360 = 17.777 recurring. Rounding up, 18.

Now, I know the compasses at the moment are dodgy, and it should be fixed, but some mistakes cannot be excused. Friends have gotten me 2 kilometres off course, because they didn't study it enough.

Say you're off by 10 degrees. Fairly easy, considering the state now. 10 x 18 = 180 metres. That's one kilometre. If you're heading to NWAF, that's 8. 180 x 8 = 1440 metres! ALMOST HALF A KILOMETER AND A HALF! ALMOST A MILE!

Now, if you're experienced, you may say 'Oh, I know where the bloody NWAF is, you mutt!' So do I. What about the newbie, hmm? He doesn't know the landscape.

What if you're heading to the great northern forests, to a base? Well mate, unless you know the area like the back of your hand, you won't find it. Which is why I may create a Nav. thread with information on resections and stuff.

I remember a time when a mate of mine had a compass in-game. We ended up about 3 kilometres off course, at which point I promptly grabbed it and then had to try and remember the Russian names of towns.

With in-game and real life experience in nav, I can tell you, if one thing is critical, get your bearing right. Oh, and account for the grid-magnetic variation.

• Like 1

You could always learn the map. ;)

Also, since the advent of GPS and smart phones it's pretty common for people to not own maps. I know I don't have any in my house...

Ah, also, if you do get a compass, and you happen to be doing good ol' hardcore navigation, remember to get your direction fairly accurate. I know it's difficult at the moment, but let me explain.

I am comfortable with the mils system and the degrees system. I know that for one kilometre, every mil you are off means 1 meter. Doesn't sound very big, does it? IT'S BLOODY ENORMOUS.

Because if you travel 2 kilometres, and your off by a bare 10 mils, that's TWENTY METRES. THOSE OF YOU WHO KNOW THE RAMIFICATIONS OF WHAT I SPEAK SHOULD KNOW WHAT I MEAN. Especially you, NorCalSniper.

Your average journey from Cherno to NWAF is 8 kilometres. Now, there are roughly 18 mils in one degree. 6400/360 = 17.777 recurring. Rounding up, 18.

Now, I know the compasses at the moment are dodgy, and it should be fixed, but some mistakes cannot be excused. Friends have gotten me 2 kilometres off course, because they didn't study it enough.

Say you're off by 10 degrees. Fairly easy, considering the state now. 10 x 18 = 180 metres. That's one kilometre. If you're heading to NWAF, that's 8. 180 x 8 = 1440 metres! ALMOST HALF A KILOMETER AND A HALF! ALMOST A MILE!

Now, if you're experienced, you may say 'Oh, I know where the bloody NWAF is, you mutt!' So do I. What about the newbie, hmm? He doesn't know the landscape.

What if you're heading to the great northern forests, to a base? Well mate, unless you know the area like the back of your hand, you won't find it. Which is why I may create a Nav. thread with information on resections and stuff.

I remember a time when a mate of mine had a compass in-game. We ended up about 3 kilometres off course, at which point I promptly grabbed it and then had to try and remember the Russian names of towns.

With in-game and real life experience in nav, I can tell you, if one thing is critical, get your bearing right. Oh, and account for the grid-magnetic variation.

No offence, but good... You aren't supposed to point yourself at the NW airfield from Cherno and start running... That isn't what DayZ is.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 2

The point of DayZ is being thrown in an unknown Russian country and being told to survive at whatever cost. Getting lost and reading the signs along the road is part of the game. Using an online map while playing is cheating.

Edited by omgwtfbbq
  • Like 1

I understand, Mosley, but that's more of an explanation in basic nav, and the reasons for getting it right. I'm not encouraging people to directly go straight to NWAF, however I am encouraging them to study their compass, use proper navigation, and thus make it to their waypoint with no fuss. The NWAF is used as an example, and since people go there most of the time, I thought I would enlighten them.

Plus, most people do not understand the road signs...

More game-breaking than bloody DayZdb map...

On the mod, I printed out a map, and then put markers on that, including points of interest, suspected bases, and so forth. Oh, how I wish for a laminated A2 extremely high-def poster of Chernarus, so that I can mark areas and circle and so forth.

I don't care if THAT'S bloody gamebreaking, it would be hella awesome!

iPhone? Droid? Download iZurvive.

You're welcome. ;)

Yeah same here, ideal solution.

However played the standalone now since release (never played mod) and starting to know the map better and better.

Also a compass is one of the most important items in my inventory.

• Like 1

I understand, Mosley, but that's more of an explanation in basic nav, and the reasons for getting it right. I'm not encouraging people to directly go straight to NWAF, however I am encouraging them to study their compass, use proper navigation, and thus make it to their waypoint with no fuss. The NWAF is used as an example, and since people go there most of the time, I thought I would enlighten them.

Plus, most people do not understand the road signs...

Still, I think it's better to just play and learn things like the road signs and basic road/town layouts.

When we had the south coast spawn points my favourite route was always Kamenka up through Zel then a quick stop at Green Mountain and then on to Vybor and the NW airfield. You'd be geared up pretty well by the time you got there and it was just a nice easy route that didn't require a map or compass. You can just loosely follow the roads from the nearest treeline between town and you're golden. Over time you'll learn little shortcuts along the way, and a map and compass can make things easier for quickly cutting between towns, but they definitely aren't required.

I'd definitely recommend this way of learning for new players, not looking at a loot map and then pointing themselves in the right direction via a compass and just running in a straight line.

• Like 1

The point of DayZ is being thrown in an unknown Russian country and being told to survive at whatever cost. Getting lost and reading the signs along the road is part of the game. Using an online map while playing is cheating.

You could always learn the map. ;)

Also, since the advent of GPS and smart phones it's pretty common for people to not own maps. I know I don't have any in my house...

No offence, but good... You aren't supposed to point yourself at the NW airfield from Cherno and start running... That isn't what DayZ is.

So its cheating to use a map that is akin to what you might find on a GPS, with waypoints and points of interest...

got it. i'll happily cheat, then.

Edited by Real Meatshield