Sign in to follow this  
Solopopo

Combat Logging Will Increase With Update: Log Out Timers

Instead of adding a penalty for switching servers too quickly, they should add a log out timer. You should be required to crouch for a period of time before logging out (about a minute). Once the animation is started it cannot be stopped until you are dead or logged out. While in this position you would be vulnerable to attacks from zombies or players. You would not be able to attack back. If you are attempting to combat log you will render yourself completely helpless until you are actually logged out. The player attacking you will most likely catch up to you before this happens, because they will know you are vulnerable if you are trying to log out. This would stop combat logging and make server hopping less safe. Server hoppers are rarely punished by players because they log out too quickly. If you were forced to stay in a server for a least a minute (after fully loading which would make it more like a minute and thirtry seconds) common server hopper spawns would not be safe for hopping anymore. They would become hopper graveyards.

With the server swapping time penalty that they are going to implement, and combat logging not addressed, players are going to be combat logging much more frequently, because it is going to take them much longer to gather that gear they don't want to lose. You can't stop one without stopping the other. If you stop combat logging, players are going to server hop more. If you stop server hopping, players are going to combat log more. Dealing with one, but not the other, will make the other worse. I don't think the way they've chosen to address the problem is right. Although, I am happy they are trying. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 1

Upon disconnection the players avatar will sit down. Once thirty seconds has passed, they will disappear. This time is able to be extended by the server in future, such as longer if the server believes you were in a combat situation.

Rocket from Reddit. http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1whk6p/dayz_changelog_033114782_pending/ and scroll down.

Edited by Zarniwoop
  • Like 4

Instead of adding a penalty for switching servers too quickly, they should add a log out timer. You should be required to crouch for a period of time before logging out (about a minute). Once the animation is started it cannot be stopped until you are dead or logged out. While in this position you would be vulnerable to attacks from zombies or players. You would not be able to attack back. If you are attempting to combat log you will render yourself completely helpless until you are actually logged out. The player attacking you will most likely catch up to you before this happens, because they will know you are vulnerable if you are trying to log out. This would stop combat logging and make server hopping less safe. Server hoppers are rarely punished by players because they log out too quickly. If you were forced to stay in a server for a least a minute, after fully loading which would make it more like a minute and thirtry seconds, common server hoppers spawns would not be safe for hopping anymore.  

With a server swapping penalty, but combat logging not addressed, players are going to be combat logging much more frequently, because it is going to take them much longer to gather that gear they don't want to lose. You can't stop one without stopping the other. If you stop combat logging, players are going to server hop more. If you stop server hopping, players are going to combat log more. Dealing with one, but not the other, will make the other worse. I don't think the way they've chosen to address the problem is right. Although, I am happy they are trying. 

I believe Rocket addressed this on reddit. He said logging out would take 30 seconds where your player is open to attack. You can cancel this action though.

Ah, so they are already planning something like this. But I think combat timers alone would be enough to stop hopping. I don't think server swapping penalties would be necessary if the log out timer was longer and if the animation could not be stopped once started. No players would be logging out in the popular server hopper rooms, because they wouldn't want to sit in a high traffic area completely defenseless. They would be required to leave the hopping site, and seek refuge somewhere else, at least if they wanted to live. This would really get in the way of hopping. It wouldn't stop it altogether, but I think the risk would be enough to keep it under control. The hoppers wouldn't be the ones that end up keeping that loot. It would almost always be lost to legitimate non hopping players camping. I can see the current "solution" they are implementing bothering hoppers and non hoppers alike. Long, defenseless, combat timers would only hurt hoppers, not legitimate players. 

Edited by Solopopo

As long as there are many servers on one hive, server hopping will still exist. You can't stop people from changing servers really, you can only get in the way of hoppers somewhat.

Make it a minute and then increase it by a minute every time you change server within a short time period. If you aren't hopping ...then it won't be an issue.

• Like 4

Make it a minute and then increase it by a minute every time you change server within a short time period. If you aren't hopping ...then it won't be an issue.

Brilliant. Instead of a penalty on how long it takes to log in, it should be how long it takes to log out, and it should increase when you do it too frequently. Like I said in the original post, I don't think they are approaching this the right way. They need to focus on how quickly players are logging out, not how quickly they are logging in. The idea of DayZ is to keep players IN the server, not in server hopping limbo, which is where many players will stay, locked out of the game, instead of locked into the game, where they can be punished the way it should be. 

As long as there are many servers on one hive, server hopping will still exist. You can't stop people from changing servers really, you can only get in the way of hoppers somewhat.

Exactly. Long, defenseless, log out timers would get in the way a lot, but it would not stop it completely. However, it would make server hopping an unattractive prospect. If you kill the desire to hop, you kill hopping, or at least most of it. 

Edited by Solopopo

They could go even further on hoppers via loot as well. If you spawn within a certain radius of a high end loot area..just draw a circle around all barracks areas, you spawn in that circle and you see no loot for five minutes. Would they have the patience to wait five minutes every server for loot to spawn ? Or to have to at least log out a one minute speed run from the high value area, spend a minute getting to the loot , looting and then another minute getting out of the circle to go check another server. Risk goes way up for them and makes it an actual task instead of just zipping around and popping in straight on the loot or in a nice campy tree or bush near the loot.

Ty for sharing this :) . found it .

I have often a bad connection and my internet sometimes restarts 20 times a day without warning , i hope they add a ghost when i just lose connection , instead of killing my char instantly . when not i cant play anymore xD 

Ty for sharing this :) . found it .

I have often a bad connection and my internet sometimes restarts 20 times a day without warning , i hope they add a ghost when i just lose connection , instead of killing my char instantly . when not i cant play anymore xD 

I feel ya man,mine was shitty as for most of the mod and i was constantly dropping out, plenty of times in high risk locations and shitty situations, but..you are going to have to take one for the team on this issue if it is ever to be seriously addressed :)

Too much whine, you got killed by someone while you was camping to kill someone ?

Deal whit it, this stuff will happen even whit 20 minutes timer, and for the loot question..... Deal whit it too, there isn't any loot respawn atm, only this cause 80% of hopping.

I really hope it will just be a max 30s logout timer.

Too much whine, you got killed by someone while you was camping to kill someone ?

Deal whit it, this stuff will happen even whit 20 minutes timer, and for the loot question..... Deal whit it too, there isn't any loot respawn atm, only this cause 80% of hopping.

I don't think you understand the ideas being discussed in this thread. Who's whining? Who mentioned getting killed while camping?

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 1

It should be 45 seconds imo, but that's just me. It works on Origins anyway. You won't get them all, but you'll get most of the bastardly closed quarters combat loggers, and anyone with a keen sight would be able to find them.

I like both methods of attack, personally. 

You're still going to have hoppers and loggers, but i think those attempting both will give it a second thought before trying to be a fuckwit about it. That will give you a nice little advantage to counter-reposition yourselves against a ghoster, if you never got them the first time around. This is a survival simulator, so don't be a huge wuss about it.

Those of us in pursuit should give ourselves a nice 60 second hunt before getting the fuck out of said area where either occurred. Seems a fair start to me. I guess we'll see what they come back with on the numbers.

Edited by Gekkonidae
  • Like 1

You are discussing about how the hoppers-fix should work, and you want the same thing i do, a simple logout timer. Right ?

Do you even English ? 

• Like 1

No i Engrish. Also using a phone to browse don t help. Maybe YOU don t get what i sayd.

Can t even quote posts lol.

to edit or quote, tap the text of a post.

Edited by Guest

Do you really think people would wait twenty minutes to server hop ? No. It defeats the whole purpose of being able to check ten servers in a minimum amount of time.

30 second logout timer is so minimum as to make little difference.

No i Engrish. Also using a phone to browse don t help. Maybe YOU don t get what i sayd.

I get what you said.

• Like 1

Even an MMORPG from late 90's solved combat loggin so i dont see how hard can it be for DayZ, in ultima online you had to be near a bed to log off instantly otherwise your character would stay ingame for a while. And Ultima was as pretty much as brutal and unforgiving as DayZ  is.

Just add sleeping bags and sleeping in houses, you would need to deploy a sleeping bag to sleep in the wild, and if you are not near a deployed sleeping bag or a house bed your character stays ingame for like 2mins.

''

Edited by Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
  • Like 1

Even an MMORPG from late 90's solved combat loggin so i dont see how hard can it be for DayZ, in ultima online you had to be near a bed to log off instantly otherwise your character would stay ingame for a while. And Ultima was as pretty much as brutal and unforgiving as DayZ  is.

Just add sleeping bags and sleeping in houses, you would need to deploy a sleeping bag to sleep in the wild, and if you are not near a deployed sleeping bag or a house bed your character stays ingame for like 2mins.

''

I like. Although you could easily server hop for loot in cities if all you needed to do was be near a house/bed, so I'm not sure about that part. Plus, in the world of DayZ you really wouldn't want to fall asleep in a house in town if you haven't fortified it. So maybe no logout timer in the wild if you have a sleeping bag/tent deployed. Otherwise, there should be a fairly long (~2 minute) logout timer.

Edited by solodude23

You are discussing about how the hoppers-fix should work, and you want the same thing i do, a simple logout timer. Right ?

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/169526-pending-changelog-experimental-branch-033114782/

and this

Source: http://www.reddit.co...20nss?context=1

When you disconnect, you character waits around for 30 seconds (currently set in experimental but subject to change) before disappearing. Forgot to include that on patch notes. 

So, you've got both things you want coming in the next stable patch. A log-out timer and a re-log delay. Can we move on now, please?

Edited by DJPorterNZ