Sign in to follow this  
dashx73 (DayZ)

Map Converted To Island With Various Weather Climates - Images For Example

In my opinion, the idea of being on a small continent based off the Idea of Russia, Eurasia, etc. makes the game feel a bit more complete, and when they want to expand, and more land!

But what dashx73 did here is amazing, and I absolutely love it. With different climates around the region of the map, you have more to choose from when it comes to choosing a favorite area! And the radiation zone? Awesome! Let's stick some hazard suits in it as well so that you can venture into it, maybe to loot the untouched. Or discover what happened there. 

This also leaves more flexibility for the time they add boats, ships, kayaks, canoes, yachts, whatever! You get get from one side of the island a bit easier through the water, unless you encounter another boat of Bandits, or see animal. Just think of the content!!!

Or just say "no." My opinion won't change anything.

Edited by AsHawkins
  • Like 4

Endless maps won't happen, I can promise you that, the engine just doesn't work that way, and the space in defiantly not reserved for future expansion, again the engine doesn't work that way.

Each map is based on a grid and tile size and is constrained to certain settings you chose at the very start of development, you can't change these settings without disrupting the entire map.

Also, I saw a post ages ago that talked about different zones accessible by having special gear here, it's the first time I remember reading a post that brought up this topic, and it didn't seem to get much traction, but for some reason now the same idea seems to be picking up steam, I hope it works too, I like it.

Edited by daringd
  • Like 1

Not entirely sure if I like the idea, but you get beans for the idea and effort.

Endless maps won't happen, I can promise you that, the engine just doesn't work that way, and the space in defiantly not reserved for future expansion, again the engine doesn't work that way.

Each map is based on a grid and tile size and is constrained to certain settings you chose at the very start of development, you can't change these settings without disrupting the entire map.

Also, I saw a post ages ago that talked about different zones accessible by having special gear here, it's the first time I remember reading a post that brought up this topic, and it didn't seem to get much traction, but for some reason now the same idea seems to be picking up steam, I hope it works too, I like it.

Wow what? They already changed the map size dude. And the map will expand in the future. Dont know where you get your information from but its wrong.

Quite love the mockup! Good work sir.

I would definitely love to see more variation in the map, but I know that future maps will be released like they were in the mod, so I'm not too worried about it. Although I do love Chernarus and would rather see some water instead of the zero-line.

Yeah the debug lands are an eyesore but you never really come across them unless you try.

Or you get hopelessly lost trying to find NEAF from Rify if you don't know where you're going. :lol:

Island feels to gamey. I know it has zero effect on gameplay but atmosphere wise. Why not just fill the empty space with trees that are generated on the fly for the client.

screenshot20091107at628.jpg

Nuff said

Is it just me or do those two maps bare no relation to each other? That's Russia, Georgia and Azerbaijan in the 'zoomed out' map.

That part of Chernarus is supposed to correspond to a part of the Czech Republic (which is land locked - according to the post in Armaholic by VonBarb it best fits with a region bounded by a river (not the sea) with Electro being roughly in the same place as a town called Povrly.

Edited by Roshi
  • Like 1

Is it just me or do those two maps bare no relation to each other? That's Russia, Georgia and Azerbaijan in the 'zoomed out' map.

That part of Chernarus is supposed to correspond to a part of the Czech Republic (which is land locked - according to the post in Armaholic by VonBarb it best fits with a region bounded by a river (not the sea) with Electro being roughly in the same place as a town called Povrly.

Yes, because thats to give you an idea of where Chernarus would be situated if it were real. Someone just took a map of the Mid East and added the other bit on to show us where we can pretend it is.

Chernarus is based on the Czech republic, yes, this has been stated many a time but its not IN the Czech Republic. Its in some fictional Green Sea region on Russia's southern borders.

Meanwhile in russia,

I mean reddit !

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1wim05/dayz_map_converted_to_island_with_various_climates/

Screen_Shot_2014_01_30_at_3_52_14_PM.png

So far most people agree the map should be converted to an island, and more would like to see climate zones included. Those who oppose the idea generally argue that the region is based on a "real location" that is not an island, and climate zones would be "unrealistic". However the majority would like to see these suggestions added into future Dayz gameplay.

Those who have discussed the idea are still a very small percentage of the overall community; many have yet to give their feedback.

Edited by dashx73

Chernarus isn't an island.

IT ISN'T CANNON!

• Like 1

Wow what? They already changed the map size dude. And the map will expand in the future. Dont know where you get your information from but its wrong.

take it easy, and steady on the sarcasm there dude :P  I don't want to burst your bubble but I'll take some pleasure from it anyway.

They have not changed the size of the Chernarus map, that is not my opinion, it is just a fact, the old Chernarus and the new Chernarus+ maps are exactly the same size, for the reasons I stated. Chernarus was set up with a terrain grid size of 2048x2048, with each tile at 7.5 metres, which gives you a total size of 15.36km up and across, that's how big Chernarus is, the settings are exactly the same for Chernarus+ I have checked it myself, they categorically did not made the map bigger. Fact.

I'm not usually in the habit of saying something unless I have good reason or evidence to back it up.

Edited by daringd

take it easy, and steady on the sarcasm there dude :P  I don't want to burst your bubble but I'll take some pleasure from it anyway.

They have not changed the size of the Chernarus map, that is not my opinion, it is just a fact, the old Chernarus and the new Chernarus+ maps are exactly the same size, for the reasons I stated. Chernarus was set up with a terrain grid size of 2048x2048, with each tile at 7.5 metres, which gives you a total size of 15.36km up and across, that's how big Chernarus is, the settings are exactly the same for Chernarus+ I have checked it myself, they categorically did not made the map bigger. Fact.

Not being one to expect anyone to take my word for it, here is a side-by-side of the two maps as viewed in Visitor 3.

I'm not usually in the habit of saying something unless I have good reason or evidence to back it up.

When we were playing earlier, I noticed it seems to take significantly less time to travel to some of the same locations we were used to traveling, almost like they made it smaller.. or took out some of the spaces in-between. But perhaps its just dayz mind games..

it's mind games

I've thought that too a lot, but then i look at my watch and realise I've been playing for five hours and need to get ready for work...  

I'm not sure I like that it's land locked, with the big weird open plains, when I reach the end of the map I make up my own story in my head that Chernarus is a Twilight Zone esque experiment conducted by aliens on Humans to understand their behaviour, and that they reconstructed a part of the world the puny humans could  never leave, which is really not far from the truth, if you consider BIS aliens and the players human (I know that last part is a stretch...)

Edited by daringd
  • Like 1

I do not like the idea of an island. I have seen the debug plains once, it was the first week and I never played the map before. I was heading north and doing a superb job of it. There is really no reason to go that far and it gets harder and harder to get that lost again. There is already enough bitching about where spawns are set with the coastline we have now, I definitely do not want to double the amount of coastline then we can hear people whining about reasons they should spawn right beside their favorite destination. The island idea is one step up from the unseen wall we are all familiar with known as the edge of the map.

I feel like the island idea is meant to take away the opportunity to interject some imagination. Why the debug plains? We are under quarantine, for fear the virus would spread any living thing outside this border was torched one to make it impassable and two to destroy potential hosts. Or a massive disaster destroyed the world save for sporadic, oddly square, patches of eroding civilization. Why an Island? Cuz there's water all around us man!

I do not mind the idea of climate zones, but the map is too small to really change substantially, especially multiple times. Then when you talk about taking clothes off or putting them on, an "outfit" requires a significant amount of space to store especially if we are talking about protective vests and taking them off takes away the inventory spaces they provide. If this were to actually happen, each survivor would need to be able to unequip their clothing without actually making space for it or dropping it, but at the same time the devs do not want to create a way to haul around extra gear without penalizing inventory.

I kind of get the sense that you are saying debug fields are bad visually so let us do away with it and put water there. However, then adding desert landscaping to the middle of the map would somehow be better. Debug fields are pretty much a desert.

• Like 1

Or a massive disaster destroyed the world save for sporadic, oddly square, patches of eroding civilization. 

You get beans just for that, it's better than my imagined reason.

I wouldn't like it to be an island. Maybe just fill the out of bounds area with trees. But different climates and rad zones sound nice.

My thoughts exactly

There is already enough bitching about where spawns are set with the coastline we have now, I definitely do not want to double the amount of coastline then we can hear people whining about reasons they should spawn right beside their favorite destination.

If the map was converted to be similar to the one I have created, I can't think of any reasons people would complain for spawning in at the coast, an even better solution would be to parachute them in.

Edited by dashx73
  • Like 1

Yes, because thats to give you an idea of where Chernarus would be situated if it were real. Someone just took a map of the Mid East and added the other bit on to show us where we can pretend it is.

Chernarus is based on the Czech republic, yes, this has been stated many a time but its not IN the Czech Republic. Its in some fictional Green Sea region on Russia's southern borders.

Ahem... Bohemia made that.