Sign in to follow this  
alleycat

The Zombie Ai Is Actually Really Good So Far. But No One Seems To Notice.

I was fucked, because I got almost all of them on me.

All of the 3 zombies that were present on the server? :D :D

• Like 2

I would like for them to take time to open doors of certain buildings(As in, until they ram them down let's say.) I hate that they can go through it / open it. At least give some time and let them fight through them, and then let them open it :c

Hi.

Am I reading this right? Some people think the zeds see you too easily?

We must be playing different games, they never see me without L.O.S., and in the dark I usually need to be within about 20 meters to agro them. At least until I make too much noise, then they start coming out of the woodwork. Maybe you guys need to learn how to be more stealthy, you do know how to use the crouch and walk buttons right? Of course they're going to detect you if your just running around full speed without a care in the world.

Or maybe its a bug/glitch, as I've seen people claim that the zeds will never go up staircases, yet clearly they do sometimes.

Regards.

I agree that they've been tweaking it and certainly more have been added since launch.

Sadly, if something isn't in the patch notes, most people don't even notice.

and you're right, the zombies do run in STRAIGHT LINES...much unlike an actually zombie might do. xD

lol! hey! lookie over here.... we have a zombie expert!

Good sir, could you please share more wisdom on what 'actual' zombies are like?

without claiming to know what fictious zombies may or may not be like, i think zombies, with next to non existent brain function and a rabies-like disease would run in a straight line to any movement in their vision, however slight. its instinct. noise equals food.

Zombies don't need much AI, all Dayz needs is a lot more of them. and i mean a lot.

• you want going into town to be a suicide mission.
  • you want people to really really want to go into electro with hordes of them wandering around in there.
  • you want shooting a gun within 1km of a town to be like ringing the dinner bell. Dozens of zombies should come running to the sound of  guns (and later vehicles)

• it will reduce gunfights.
  • it will create the need to think before looting a town.
  • it will make players less of a threat than the infected.
  • Like 2

ah-HA! Thank you for asking :D

So right now the zombies run in straight lines the majority of the time to your previous location they saw you at. When I am running from a zombie most of the time in this game, they have a very geometrical and straight running path

A zombie has historically been able to turn and adjust their angle as they run. 

The red arrow indicates the play movement and direction

The black line in the respective sides represents the zombie's movement in relation to the player

In other words, the X value of the zombie should always be adjusting in relation to the position of the player running. A zombie doesn't get to where it saw the human and say "oh wait, he's not here, he's over that way" and adjust accordingly. 

and there you go :P

they already do that, just not as frequently as we would like. server performance is probably the issue. give them time :)

id like to have them hear you when your useing the in game chat like ya cant sneak around em if your chatting with your buddie they hear ya and move to the talking

Obviously they have a good AI since they can chase you trough walls.

the AI doesn't have to be that good to be honest. they just need to charge towards you like homing missiles. Basically dumb soldier AI with flappy arms.

Has anyone or the dev team looked much at Breaking Point (arma 3) mod?

Besides having none of the mouse-acceleration issues, and a much smoother engine, within Arma 3, Breaking Point's zombies are also spot on. Great in numbers, you can see hordes of 20 or 30 in towns, they come to noise, they are somewhere between jogging and sprint speed, and they make you bleed/injured in 1-3 strikes. Perfect!

Edited by AgentNe0

The infected (or zombies if you must) have a lot of potential but need some tweaking. They should not be able to run through walls and should struggle to open doors if they can do so at all (they are gravely ill - coordination should not be their strong suit.) The reloading / change weapons animations need to work better when the player is moving. Obviously, there also need to be more of them.

I don't have a problem with some of the infected standing still or being in a catatonic state until roused. Remember, they are infected and no one except for Dean knows the precise details of the disease other than players are immune to it. The difference between an infected that is not moving and one that is could be that they are in different stages of the disease.

Edited by worst2first

:D Well I was speaking about Dayz MOD ... in Dayz SA there indeed 3 dumb zeds on server :)

• you want going into town to be a suicide mission.
  • you want people to really really want to go into electro with hordes of them wandering around in there.
  • you want shooting a gun within 1km of a town to be like ringing the dinner bell. Dozens of zombies should come running to the sound of  guns (and later vehicles)
  • it will reduce gunfights.
  • it will create the need to think before looting a town.
  • it will make players less of a threat than the infected.

Yeah it shold be so but WILL NEVER HAPPEN

In Dayz MOD Rocked team tryed to make Zeds more brutal but failed to Dayz comunity 

Day 1 - patch with brutal zeds

Day 2 - 100 pages of tears how fucked up Dayz is and how Zeds are killin people

Day 3  - patch, Zeds back to noob version ...

• Like 1

I can't tell if the AI is bad or not, but it's definitely inconsistent.

Earlier I saw a zed a good 200+km from me, and as I run along it managed to see me and start giving chase.

Later on I decided to hone my skills on losing zeds on foot (still a noob and learning the way), and ran literally within inches behind one and it didn't even move. I ran in front of it and it took a few seconds to register that I was even there.

Edited by o5pr3y

What I want to see is hordes of zombies because shooting them is one of the most funniest things to do in the game atm. Only problem being that there are no zombies to shoot at ._. Zombies should be the top priority of the development if you ask me. They should also be way more aggressive, and I mean WAY more, there really can't be massive hordes because of the games engine, and they would also make the server lag like a joke. Sad thing is this game can't be perfect only because of certain limitations, we must wait years for the game industry to develop better engines and servers.

Hi.

I also would like to see lots of tough zeds in game, preferably being only killed with head shots. But sadly, as V3C1C already pointed out the DayZ community's tears will flow till it drowns any hopes of tough zeds.

Seems the majority just want an oversized unbalanced death match game.

Regards.

private void playerSpotted( targetPlayer ) {

runDestination = targetPlayer.currentLocation;

runTo( runDestination );

}

Such advance.

So AI.

Wow.

Hi.

I also would like to see lots of tough zeds in game, preferably being only killed with head shots. But sadly, as V3C1C already pointed out the DayZ community's tears will flow till it drowns any hopes of tough zeds.

Seems the majority just want an oversized unbalanced death match game.

Regards.

Battlefield Z: Modern Survive-fare

Edited by theJaaku

Yeah it shold be so but WILL NEVER HAPPEN

In Dayz MOD Rocked team tryed to make Zeds more brutal but failed to Dayz comunity 

Day 1 - patch with brutal zeds

Day 2 - 100 pages of tears how fucked up Dayz is and how Zeds are killin people

Day 3  - patch, Zeds back to noob version ...

Day 2 Survivors now start with flashlight, battery and a teaspoon of cement so they can "harden the fuck up"

But really how much of a threat are Z's They virtually aren't unless a bunch are right there and they mob you.  Otherwise they are casual looting buddies typically it's zombie aggro's, loot building, walk outside and axe it.

Other thing to point out is they are infected not actually undead.  In future I'd like to see them have a "sprint" mode so a couple can damage a player if they try just running thru or a semi-intelligent cut you off at the pass kinda thinking. but like they say, it's all in development and alpha.

lol! hey! lookie over here.... we have a zombie expert!

Good sir, could you please share more wisdom on what 'actual' zombies are like?

I think we all know they're not real, jackass lol. I don't think that I have to have a "Btw, zombies aren't actually real" disclaimer any time I want to talk about something related to them. The way zombies move that I described is textbook zombie-chase from almost every single kind of movie and game there is. I was simply pointing out a flaw in their movement at this point in time. jesus christ, chill ya dick lol xD

Zombies don't need much AI, all Dayz needs is a lot more of them. and i mean a lot.

• you want going into town to be a suicide mission. (Yes)
  • you want people to really really want to go into electro with hordes of them wandering around in there. (Yup)
  • you want shooting a gun within 1km of a town to be like ringing the dinner bell. Dozens of zombies should come running to the sound of  guns (and later vehicles) (Uh huh)
Edited by DeatHTaX

Huh? I would be very interested in hearing your observations on how an "actual zombie" would run.

This made me spit tea on my keyboard... thanks!  :P

Last night, it seemed like the zeds had doubled. A friend had a "zombie train" of 8 round him at one point. Obviously a reset server.

Zeds needs to do more damage, and more of them. Give me more! You should have to shoot a zed.. not even get close enough to use an axe. 

They have there good and bad bits. They'll improve in time, it's far too early to actually moan about anything if I'm honest! 

Idk what crappy zombie games you've been playing, 

The Walking Dead Survival Instinct? :P

Edited by AntonioAJC

The Walking Dead Survival Instinct? :P

worse than "They Hunger"? 

xD