Sign in to follow this  
Grimey Rick

One Kill On Sight Thread To Rule Them All!

TL;DR:

There is no right way to play DayZ, so let's stop filling every thread with pointless debate. Play the game how you see fit. Make decisions that insure the survival of your character. In a zombie apocalypse, you need to be able to kill loved ones without remorse in order to protect yourself and anyone else with you. Help others when you can. Kill others as necessary.

Live to see another day!

I don't mean to detract from your epiphany but this has been stated many, many, Many times by numerous people on the forums and not just by people in the pro-kill everyone party. In fact, there are also numerous threads on this exact same subject that have been merged as well, with countless pages of more discussion on the issue. If you feel the need to make a new thread despite the numerous existing threads, that's your prerogative but you're not really saying anything that hasn't been said already.

I don't personally advocate KOS but neither do I advocate for demands that people not KOS.

• Like 1

its not being killed that gets me, its having zero interaction with other people that makes me angry

i would have no problem if someone handcuffed me and executed me

but being shot in the back while you have an axe out just isnt fun

Why not try interacting with someone on your lvl?? I interacted, btw, both spawns tried to knock me out, one succeded but I wasn't walking alone.

DayZ2014-01-2801-43-33-91.png

I don't mean to detract from your epiphany but this has been stated many, many, Many times by numerous people on the forums and not just by people in the pro-kill everyone party. In fact, there are also numerous threads on this exact same subject that have been merged as well, with countless pages of more discussion on the issue. If you feel the need to make a new thread despite the numerous existing threads, that's your prerogative but you're not really saying anything that hasn't been said already.

I don't personally advocate KOS but neither do I advocate for demands that people not KOS.

I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I was unable to find a thread pertaining to this specific issue in the manner I've presented it. After sifting through countless posts of people saying things along the lines of, "amg if ur a fkn kos ur a fgt fkoff," or, "if ur not palying teh gaem as a her0z den ur doin it wrogn," I felt inspired to attempt to address what people think of this particular issue in an intelligent manner.

Again, I'm sorry if I've somehow offended you. I appreciate that there is a search function. As I mentioned, I used it before posting. I even used it again to make sure that I didn't miss something earlier. Of all of the nonsensical threads on this forum, I'm surprised you picked mine to denounce in such a fashion. I put a fair amount of thought into it and attempted to insure it was well-written.

Maybe if you point out that there's a search function in enough threads someone will make you an admin. If there's some way I can help expedite that process, let me know. I'd love to help!

Written with lots of love,

Ricky-poo heart-1.jpg

Being a hero is pointless, unless you like being a bullet sponge.

KOS banditry is the only way you can play this game if you don't want to die a shit ton.

still not sure if attention whore or serious asset to community...

but i think i like you, rick. +1

Since when did making threads became attention whoring? 8l

KOS banditry is the only way you can play this game if you don't want to die a shit ton.

This only applies to low-skilled players. If you know what you are doing, you can play the game anyway you like.

• Like 2

The first statement is not true.

The second statement is also not true.

Don't take SURVIVAL as a justification for KoSing.

I used to check the average life span of players on a few private hives where I played the mod.

KoSers / bandits die more often than peaceful players.

I think that you are right; I'd be interested to see what kind of statistical data there is on this, but I have a character who has been alive for a long time now (30+ hours). I do this by avoiding confrontation. I know that many other testers might find this a bit "boring" and having "no point." But, if the point of the game is to survive, then this toon will continue to survive long after the spawn-killing beach campers have left to play the next version of CoD or BattleField.

still not sure if attention whore or serious asset to community...

but i think i like you, rick. +1

With amount of KoS 'total whiner' threads that go up vs these types, you almost have to see at least one of these a day to turn even just a few heads around. ;) Agreed on the +1

I think the thing that blows the most is getting popped by hoppers once you reach a military base tbh..

This. Exactly. Most annoying shit in the entire game. Let me run 20 minutes only to end up with a server hopper who's been spending his 20 minutes looting everything good from 20 different servers shooting me in the face as soon as I arrive. That's fair. 

When I read threads like this, I think of all the people who complain about kill on sight. I think about the ones who go around server hopping to gear up and then get killed on the coast because they were trying to share gear with bambis. I then think about the bambis who go around pretending to be friendly waiting for the right moment to kill these "heroes" stopping on the coast to share loot. I then think about these "heroes" that complain being a hero is hard and it isn't rewarding (true heroes don't do it for the reward). It all makes sense.

• There are heroes out there who understand the game (don't whine or complain)
  • There are people who pretend to be heroes because they want to be called hero
  • There are bandits who don't trust anyone (makes sense)
  • There are bandits who take banditry to a whole new level (spawn camping) and only the heroes who understand the game can stop them
Edited by Yahiko
  • Like 1

I'm sorry if I've offended you, but I was unable to find a thread pertaining to this specific issue in the manner I've presented it. After sifting through countless posts of people saying things along the lines of, "amg if ur a fkn kos ur a fgt fkoff," or, "if ur not palying teh gaem as a her0z den ur doin it wrogn," I felt inspired to attempt to address what people think of this particular issue in an intelligent manner.

Again, I'm sorry if I've somehow offended you. I appreciate that there is a search function. As I mentioned, I used it before posting. I even used it again to make sure that I didn't miss something earlier. Of all of the nonsensical threads on this forum, I'm surprised you picked mine to denounce in such a fashion. I put a fair amount of thought into it and attempted to insure it was well-written.

Maybe if you point out that there's a search function in enough threads someone will make you an admin. If there's some way I can help expedite that process, let me know. I'd love to help!

Written with lots of love,

Ricky-poo heart-1.jpg

I didn't state anywhere that I was offended, nor that you didn't have the right to create your own thread but according to your own "TL;DR" you said, "There is no right way to play DayZ."  You also said the game would be no fun without any antagonists, then you went on to say in your reply to my comment you couldn't find any threads in the manner that you've presented yours.  Again, not to detract from your points which are valid but...are you kidding?  Those are the exact same arguments/counter-points from pretty much every single KOS thread.  I don't have to "point out that there's a search function" because it's in my sig.  I didn't tell you, that you should have used search either just that this same argument has already been made numerous times in innumerous discussions on the issue.  Neither am I hoping that "someone will make [me] an admin" for having a snarky signature that claims searching "is magical." as you insinuate that I'm trying to buck for moderator status.  I wouldn't have time and I wouldn't want to and DayZ already has more than enough dedicated moderators and forum admins.

You also said you sifted through numerous posts arguing against KOS where according to you, the common responses were profanity and homosexual slurs.  I'm not sure if we're reading the same forum because I just saw I think a couple people given forum suspensions yesterday and today for peppering their posts with profanity and bigoted slurs, so that is definitely not a common occurrence, as doing so will get you suspended if not banned.

You can "search" through my numerous posts though if you like, and in numerous threads where people post the exact same questions/complaints that have already been posted hundreds of times, I quite often give detailed responses as opposed to "it's alpha" or "use search."  I wish people would do a quick search for common issues first but if they have an actual valid question hidden somewhere in their post, I usually do my best to provide a constructive answer. 

So to recap, your main points were that "There is no right way to play DayZ" and the game would be no fun without antagonists.  I completely agree.  Those are valid points. 

Hell, I have even said the exact same thing in a thread over a week ago: (scroll down to bottom of thread)

"...The complaints about bandits and people who KOS and the complaints about the people complaining about being killed and both sides telling the other they're playing the wrong way.  There is no right or wrong way to play DayZ."

I posted that over a week ago and that has also been pointed out in pretty much every single KOS debate on the forum so it's not really anything that hasn't already been pointed out repeatedly.

While I can appreciate your attempt to end the debate, it's not going to happen.  People are going to continue KOSing "because they can" even against players who pose zero threat and camping in well-known spawn areas like Kamyshovo for example...and people are going to continue complaining about it.

Edited by NeedsFoodBadly

I didn't state anywhere that I was offended, nor that you didn't have the right to create your own thread but according to your own "TL;DR" you said, "There is no right way to play DayZ."  You also said the game would be no fun without any antagonists, then you went on to say in your reply to my comment you couldn't find any threads in the manner that you've presented yours.  Again, not to detract from your points which are valid but...are you kidding?  Those are the exact same arguments/counter-points from pretty much every single KOS thread.  I don't have to "point out that there's a search function" because it's in my sig.  I didn't tell you, that you should have used search either just that this same argument has already been made numerous times in innumerous discussions on the issue.  Neither am I hoping that "someone will make [me] an admin" for having a snarky signature that claims searching "is magical." as you insinuate that I'm trying to buck for moderator status.  I wouldn't have time and I wouldn't want to and DayZ already has more than enough dedicated moderators and forum admins.

You also said you sifted through numerous posts arguing against KOS where according to you, the common responses were profanity and homosexual slurs.  I'm not sure if we're reading the same forum because I just saw I think a couple people given forum suspensions yesterday and today for peppering their posts with profanity and bigoted slurs, so that is definitely not a common occurrence, as doing so will get you suspended if not banned.

You can "search" through my numerous posts though if you like, and in numerous threads where people post the exact same questions/complaints that have already been posted hundreds of times, I quite often give detailed responses as opposed to "it's alpha" or "use search."  I wish people would do a quick search for common issues first but if they have an actual valid question hidden somewhere in their post, I usually do my best to provide a constructive answer. 

So to recap, your main points were that "There is no right way to play DayZ" and the game would be no fun without antagonists.  I completely agree.  Those are valid points. 

Hell, I have even said the exact same thing in a thread over a week ago: (scroll down to bottom of thread)

"...The complaints about bandits and people who KOS and the complaints about the people complaining about being killed and both sides telling the other they're playing the wrong way.  There is no right or wrong way to play DayZ."

I posted that over a week ago and that has also been pointed out in pretty much every single KOS debate on the forum so it's not really anything that hasn't already been pointed out repeatedly.

While I can appreciate your attempt to end the debate, it's not going to happen.  People are going to continue KOSing "because they can" even against players who pose zero threat and camping in well-known spawn areas like Kamyshovo for example...and people are going to continue complaining about it.

Again, I posted this because I didn't see any other thread (not post/s) devoted to promoting a melting pot of playstyles. I encourage that in my original post. Be a good guy. Be a bad guy. Be both in the same gaming session. If you peruse even the first page (as I currently post this) of the General Discussion forum, it's flooded with threads pertaining to how offensive killing on sight is. People need to accept that killing on sight is crucial to the adrenaline rush that is DayZ. However, I'm beginning to understand that the general public never will. How saddening.

I guess this thread was just my vain attempt at consolidating a whole plethora of bullshit into one centric area of the forums.

People need to accept that killing on sight is crucial to the adrenaline rush that is DayZ. However, I'm beginning to understand that the general public never will. How saddening.

I guess this thread was just my vain attempt at consolidating a whole plethora of bullshit into one centric area of the forums.

I wouldn't call people who KOS crucial to the game.  In a way, you could argue  it actually detracts from the very main attraction of the game.  In fact, many players have said as much, that they would be fine being handcuffed, robbed and then killed but when they simply see a "You are Dead" screen out of nowhere, it's disappointing.

In fact, the way I see it, the main selling point of DayZ isn't just looting/hopping until you've got full milgear and then running around Kamyshovo killing coasties/etc.  The real selling point of DayZ is the interaction between players, both good and bad. 

That may include people who KOS but there are far more players I would give props to, that engage in banditry and killing in far more unique ways than hiding in the treeline outside coast towns.  You can get that hum-drum-ity of camping/spawn-camping players in any online game.

The real attraction are those unique experiences, like a player selling shoes on the side of the road, a player running down the road with 5 zombies running after him while he sings, "Thriller", bandits holding up players and then making them take part in trivia contests and numerous other hilarious and thought provoking interactions.  Those are the real attraction of DayZ.

I don't think the majority of players dislike KoS.

I think the few that really don't like KoS are very new and very vocal about it, and that most people really just don't like geared players going to the coast and wanking over a bunch of newspawns.  

Anyone who plays dayz for a while comes to understand that even if you don't KoS, there's nothing to stop the other guy from doing so, and that's the way it goes.  

To conclude, please stop making threads about KoS. It's just a stupid subject, there is nothing up for discussion, it's do or don't, and inevitably, die anyway. Don't like it? don't play, there will be no PvE servers, no sanity system, no identification for bandits, just play how you want and don't have too much of a sulk when it doesn't go the way you wanted.