Sign in to follow this  
starf1sh@abv.bg

Patch 557 still broken

Hello there

Pinning things just isnt the way forward for every situation.

We do pin alot, and has been shown, folk just dont bother to read everything they should.

That's why you have mods.

Rather than raging at a poster/thread, simply hit the report button.

Lastly I dont see the devs changing the way they feed us info.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Its not about pinning, its about informing the community of the things done. Maybe once a week a list of fixed bugs, ongoing feature progress, current project priorities. 

• Like 1

First of all, I'd like to say I really enjoy DayZ, both mod and SA. I know my way around the gaming industry since I am a game producer myself.

What I see when going trough patch notes and bug tracker is best described with 1 word: CHAOS

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN,

1. Patch notes are vague at best. People should understand what the features actually are and it will take no more than 20 minutes to describe clearly the feature.

2. Does anyone QA this game apart from the community? How can spraying be released when painting an empty rifle magazine fills it with bullets and paining a mosin lowers its ammo capacity to 1 bullet?

3. Why isn't magazine exploit fixed asap or at least paint canisters removed from loot tables until it is?

4. Why do we have to follow dev's personal twitter account or their friend's livestreams to get info about the game? Is this some new kind of PR strategy the industry has never heard of?

5. More than a million people bought the game and warned about the alpha state or not you at least owe them information.

Alpha is alpha - things break, sometimes migrating to live branch breaks something that worked before. AND its ok - but SAY it! Write a weekly update, explain to the community whats going on, act on critical issues, don't let them stay. Hire a QA ;)

2. and 3. are minor. There is something called prioritization. You should know this, being a game producer yourself.

Edited by weedmasta

I'm confused by the title of this thread: "Patch 557 still broken."

If Patch 557 was "fixed", there would be no need to release future patches.. The game would be done.

I do agree that it is frustrating to get a patch only to have half of the features broken upon release. I get what you're saying... And I do agree that having a direct line of communication from some representative of the Devs would be helpful/inspiring.

Perhaps a "Dev Feedback/Q&A" thread, where the community is heavily moderated in the sense that they can't repeat questions which are already posted without losing their post rights, or getting their post deleted, and where the Dev team tries to answer each individual question to the best of their ability.

I have posted suggestions in the suggestion thread.. Seems like Devs don't even read it. If it doesn't gain a large amount of community support, odds are they will never see it and it will just fall into oblivion.

I post bugs into the bugtracker, but with so many people posting bugs it's just constant spam of the same few issues, and when you post a bug which not many people have experienced or that is a little more elusive, it doesn't gain the traction required to even get noticed.

Anyway, yeah.. I agree, I think BI could do a little more in the way of PR. 

wow is it annoying when people make comments like this: "When you have 1 million players you can't afford to say 'Its alpha'".  

People made the choice to buy a half baked game...   It's like buying a bag of dog shit and then complaining because it's dog shit.  Stop bitching about stupid shit like "the devs aren't updating us enough".  

Thats what happens when you release Alpha's to the general public.

TBH when you charge £30 for a 'bag of dog shit' people have a right to criticize.

Face it, out of the million or so people that bought this game how many people are really testing it and reporting bug?? No many is the answer to that question.

• Like 1

Lastly I dont see the devs changing the way they feed us info.

Rgds

LoK

You may remember Lok, how chaotic the il2 devs were with communication, especially when it rolled into pac fighters and '46 and then of course CloD. Same with the strike fighters devs..same with a lot of devs. These are not AAA titles we are talking about here. They are smallish teams juggling a lot of balls at once.

I think a lot of players/users do not think that they have anything else on their plate excepting the game. Day to day life, family, bills, every man and his dog on a hundred different sites asking questions and demanding answers... and of course all of the 'game producers' that seem to have popped up in here the last few months stating how they would run it ;) The last three places i have worked have been more chaotic than here and no matter how hard we try and keep that customer happy, we still get shat on daily. But we keep on pumping on.

Just think, when you go to bed after a fairly normal day and have got your couple of hours of gaming in and are all snuggled up on your pillow and cuddling your teddies, the devs are more than likely sitting there with their eyes bloodshot and hanging on their cheeks with a million things burning at the back of their brains.

I don't know how many times these devs had to say 'Don't buy the game yet..it's really basic and needs fucktons of work and you will more than likely have a fairly shitty time'.

Gotta love it.

I

• Like 1

TBH when you charge £30 for a 'bag of dog shit' people have a right to criticize.

Face it, out of the million or so people that bought this game how many people are really testing it and reporting bug?? No many is the answer to that question.

Sorry, you have no valid point. Rocket himself said not to buy the game in it's current state, it's not worth it. There were plenty of warnings.

..and that's £ 18.08..not £ 30.00 ;)

And you were warned about the state of the game before, during and after buying the game. So quit your winging. You are just making yourself look silly.

I think they are doing a pretty damn good job of communicating to us and letting us nkow what they're working on through twitter.. I'm actually very impressed, coming from the ggame WarZ the devs didn't communicate at all with the community... I'm very happy with the way the devs are communicating. and the patch notes are much more detailed in this game than WarZ AKA Infestation.

Lol, if you're coming from the WarZ community then this shit must be heaven to you lmao.

That game was complete shit, you're lucky you're out of there.

Edited by Flight96
  • Like 1

You may remember Lok, how chaotic the il2 devs were with communication, especially when it rolled into pac fighters and '46 and then of course CloD. Same with the strike fighters devs..same with a lot of devs. These are not AAA titles we are talking about here. They are smallish teams juggling a lot of balls at once.

I think a lot of players/users do not think that they have anything else on their plate excepting the game. Day to day life, family, bills, every man and his dog on a hundred different sites asking questions and demanding answers... and of course all of the 'game producers' that seem to have popped up in here the last few months stating how they would run it ;) The last three places i have worked have been more chaotic than here and no matter how hard we try and keep that customer happy, we still get shat on daily. But we keep on pumping on.

Just think, when you go to bed after a fairly normal day and have got your couple of hours of gaming in and are all snuggled up on your pillow and cuddling your teddies, the devs are more than likely sitting there with their eyes bloodshot and hanging on their cheeks with a million things burning at the back of their brains.

I don't know how many times these devs had to say 'Don't buy the game yet..it's really basic and needs fucktons of work and you will more than likely have a fairly shitty time'.

Gotta love it.

I

I am not complaining of the state the game was released in, tbh honest I did not expect that much.

What I am saying is the features in 557 were so bugged upon release it is a shame they got the green light to distribute the patch and I really think the community deserves more frequent updates because producing in dev phase and live phase is a very different thing and with the enormous success and attention the game got by fans hiring 1 more person to be responsible for technical writing and community changelog seems very logical.

• Like 1

Gotta love it.

I

OK but this is a AAA title after selling over 1 million copies in 1 month. What the OP is trying to get across is the way the Devs are handling information is really bad.. Go find Rockets last stream video. He didn't even know paper and pens didn't work.. I believe and hope that things will get better but right now it is chaos and needs to be fixed..

• Like 2

OK but this is a AAA title after selling over 1 million copies in 1 month. What the OP is trying to get across is the way the Devs are handling information is really bad.. Go find Rockets last stream video. He didn't even know paper and pens didn't work.. I believe and hope that things will get better but right now it is chaos and needs to be fixed..

I get that, but in my involvment (as a forum user and gamer) in smaller games like this is that they have done pretty damn well in communicating with us end users compared to many other devs. Like Dean has said in many many interviews, forums posts and his recent ama is that it has been a big learning curve for him as well and he has made mistakes and whatnot along the way I don't know if a pr guy as such would make it any better as at least most of the info we get is from the horses mouth.  Probably the best thing they could do is to consolidate everything at one place instead of spreading it out between Reddit, here, the dev blogs,twitter etc. Pick one place and do it all there.

• Like 1

Why has <insert any bug> not been fixed yet when there is new content coming in?

While priorities are very important when assigning work, there is a limit to how many people can work on a complex task without making it even more complex. Also, many of the team are focused purely on content/design so while the important stuff is being fixed, they continue to provide content and design updates.

There thats a quote straight from rockets post on this very forum, maybe you should have read it before you became another person complaining about content being pushed out instead of bugs being fixed.

Why has <insert any bug> not been fixed yet when there is new content coming in?
While priorities are very important when assigning work, there is a limit to how many people can work on a complex task without making it even more complex. Also, many of the team are focused purely on content/design so while the important stuff is being fixed, they continue to provide content and design updates.

There thats a quote straight from rockets post on this very forum, maybe you should have read it before you became another person complaining about content being pushed out instead of bugs being fixed.

Who is this addressed to? Maybe you should check when I started this discussion? Dean refers to big NEW features when saying 1 person has to handle them. Trust me - there is no limit of how many people can debug a game. I am not bitching about fixing bugs but if the new patch breaks more than is fixes like 557 did I will be very disappointed and it would be clear even to a fanboy like you that dev team is full of chaos right now because information flow is slow.

Also latest changelog was again very brief and with no explanations - we are not the dev team, we need explanations. If you ain't got the time to write them use those 20 million Euro and hire someone who will...

QA =/= Q&A. But yeah, would still be nice :P

This.

It's not that bad.  Accept your tears like a man.