Legacy (DayZ)

The one and only Anti-PVP/PvP Discussion thread! Whine/discuss here!

The reason why everyone shoots on sight is because there is no reward what so ever for not killing another player. If you kill a player you get their loot, set him back to start and make sure he doesn't take your loot. It would be nice to give players a reason not to shoot other players, right now there is no reason, if you don't kill him he will kill you later, that's how it is.

I haven't met a player who didn't want to shoot me in several weeks.

There is no solution to the "PvP" in this game.

Sure there is... shitcan DayZ in favor of something a bit more to your liking.

I just find everyone shoots on sight nowerdays like any other pvp game. Its pretty much removed any social aspect to the game and made it a FFA pvp arena with zombies.

Precisely the point. Day Z is not supposed to be any other PvP area with zombies' date=' but that's how it is being playing, because...

Without any consequences to being a "serial killer" there is really no reason not try and kill anyone you see for their gear given the difficulty of aquireing gear especially early on.

Which is why if Day Z wants to be more than any other PvP mod(e), it needs consequences. I don't see how some could miss that point. PvP is fine and it's an important part of Day Z! The way it is being realized doesn't fit its intention though.

The short version: DayZ is not a zombie apocalypse mod.

The zombies have lost all meaning and become basically scenery. It's the dispersion of loot, the loose everything on death etc... that has become the core of the mod. You could take the zombies completely out and it wouldn't look much different.

This is where the problem is. Those who have issues with the PvP etc, are the ones who want it to be about the zombies. They see "ohh, a zombie apocalypse mod, sweet" and want to play it as such. And when they realize that "bandits" have more to do with DayZ than zombies, they want their advertised zombie mod back.

"Bandits" are in general the ones who didn't even blink at the zombie part, and just found another arena to kill people. They're focused on the perma death, dispersion of loot etc. Again, for the most part they wouldn't blink an eye if all the zombies were removed, so long as they still had their supply of other players trying to get to strategic loot points.

At the moment, if you're faced with 2 paths, one with a dozen zombies but covered, and the other empty, but open, most people would rather try to face the zombies. Until that's not the case, when there's a solution found where you can play they game, and in the natural course of playing spend most of your thoughts on surviving the zombies rather than wondering who's gonna shoot you in the back, then there won't be peace between the two camps.

......there won't be peace between the two camps.

It's a moot point, something that will never be. Because one group would prefer to use their their brains. The other group, well it would never occur to them to use something they don't have.

First of all, I've just read about the first 16 pages of this thread. Then it begun to f**k up my brain, so I browsed through the rest of the pages. I was watching constant repeats of dumb phrases from PvP pros thinking this is the only way to play the game about, paired with a disintegration of discussion morality. I'm lack all of this.

I'm not really a fan of military warfare at all nor am I a very good FPS player. I bought the game because of the enthusiasm from a friend of mine. We wanted to play in a team together. I don't even like Steam at all! :P But it's pretty nice it can be played without the steamy overhead by directly starting the beta EXE.

In the first place, I played the game alone, trying to deal with the zombies, gathering loot and learn the gameplay at all. I'd begun to love this simulation with its playful touch, and, I started to love the zombie apocalypse at all. To me, the KI of the zombies are completely sufficient, as long with different difficulties available. There's no urgent need for PvP to me at all, thus I'm a hunter-gatherer, but never up to other players. That's my morality I'm grown up with, and I do not decide to change that.

Anyway, the thought about an end-time zombie apocalypse is rather old (as old as equal films and games in the past) but what this mod makes a difference is the good zombie KI along with the possibility to encounter other players/survivors. The "open end" character is lovely, too. The player may explore the map, the different kinds of loot, study the @DayZ wiki to learn more about the game, even study online maps which has been established with the Google Maps API.

What really spoils the day for me are the survivor killers. They became more and more present in the past, just shooting out fresh spawned people or opening fire without any reason. I don't even dare to head to one of the airfields knowing exactly there're people with heavy equipment hiding out there just waiting for other players to come into their crosshairs not even letting other players to gain the same loot or chance the way they did. This leads to an unbalanced system at all, on the one side heavy-armed players with those having nearly nothing or the low-ranged weapons on the other side. Due to the lack of bulletproof armory it's even impossible to encounter with standard equipment. Additionally, some of the high-level weapons are only available at airfield site or Stary Sobor.

From the view of a beginner -- and let me tell you games do not just live from established players -- this is extremely frustrating, and at this point I must advise others against playing this mod, due to the fact humans always propagate their likings to others. At this point, I'm even asking myself if I'm willing to continue playing @DayZ. The only thing I feel guilty is about the money I spent in a game I never have bought without this mod.

Even playing together with the friend of mine doesn't stop most of PvP killing in the beginner's cities. After my mate got killed I shot all the bullets I had to the murderer and got one bandit kill count which let me ran out of ammo against zombies which slayed me then...

Another situation was funny:

Two of my mates and I had been at the Rog's ruine while a player spawned there, between us. After asking him to be friendly, he got away without any comment.

But that's not the sense of the game. Shure, misuse is always given and in a small amount a spicy ingredient, but if the misuse exceeds a certain point the gameplay doesn't meet the character I like any more. It's my time such people waste, and they don't care about it even a bit. I wish not to do the basics again and again only because others got bored. They should meet a new hobby, but I'm not here for their entertainment. It's OK if I die wihtin a legal fight being the loser, but this should be one minor point in this game.

There are some other points I'd like to comment.

Armed zombies or KIs are not a substitute for PvP, though, PvP must stay enabled if the game should continue to meet a real life simulation at all. I don't have a problem with dying at all, but it really stretches my nerves not even having a considerable equipment and being shot again and again. What's the deal, hiding out in the spawn areas Cherno and Elektro, killing freshly spawned people searching for a soda can oder sardines? I get tons of them in a supermarket. There's no challenge to this at all. Maybe there should be an accounted area where everyone can shoot at anyone any time, but the heck stay away from the spawn places! Often I encounter entrances of military buildings like fire stations @ Elektro or Cherno being equipped with wire fences keeping spawners from looting them. One chance less for gathering good weapons! >.<

Another really bad idea is to announce via voice that I'm coming up the pub in Elektro being friendly. Such killers do not have sufficient sense of decency to take this into account because they want to kill effortless.

Adding skills will reduce the game to absurdity. Its open-end character is one of the major aspects of a zombie apocalypse. The flair would be gone instantly. However, another friend of mine has no interest in a game like this as long as he can't take out large areas from zombies and found a camp. Maybe zombies rushing camps would be a nice idea for this game!

Nobody seems to look at the risk the necessarity of building up large communities to survice comes up with. Like other online-based community games like WoW, there's a high risk of habit formation possible. There must be a chance for the occasional player to play for fun. As long as there's no offline version playable, I'm enforced to shift my intellectual curiosity to online servers.

On the other hand, adding more co-op stuff would appreciate IMHO.

There's a deal against useless player killing:

Just let the corpse disappear immediately, but only in case of being killed by a player. Not being lootable by the murderer only would not keep rushing players in groups as long as one member can pick up and share to the shooter. With the persistence of killed bodies by zombies containing loot (in the way a killed animal does stay as long as there's raw meat from it on the ground), there's a bit more humanity touch in the game, enforcing useless player killers to head for their stuff themselves!

In my opinion, it's contradictory to a survival game if anyone has to distrust anybody. Like written before, in real life social formations would be formed instead of wiping out the own human race. Killing unarmed people or instantly at sight is the most common death in contrary to the argument PvP is even more amazing or difficult (LOL?) than PvE.

My hope for the future is the conversion of letting a player-killed corpse unlootable for others and/or servers with less or no PvP character at all. I don't mind being bound to one server as long as I just want to play -- legally.

I think the PVP in this game is absolutely integral, but I'm echoing most others in this thread saying that there HAS to be consequences, as currently you a) kill the person you see, thus earning loot and removing the threat, only consequence is guilt (for some people, such as myself), and b) don't kill the person, ask if they're friendly etc., and get killed and have to start again.

I've been killed countless times, and only twice by zombies (at the very beginning) which is fair enough as survivors should be the major threat, but the social aspect is gone completely nowadays.

My first couple playthroughs I spent with random characters I met near the beach and north of the coast, and we fought zombies, dodged the occasional bandit (2 in 5 hours of play, compared to 100% of players are bandits now) and generally felt like we were surviving.

Since then its degraded, I'm assuming due to increased popularity within the (lets face it, fairly stupid) wider population and since the removal of humanity consequences, to the point where you end up in a cycle of;

see survivor-act friendly-get killed-start again-see survivor-be more cautious but still friendly-get killed-start again-see survivor-kill survivor-see survivor-kill survivor

The mates I play with actively try to stop this cycle, by being friendly to all we see and not shooting unless shot at, etc. but all it accomplishes is making it easier for the person to kill us. We've now turned the page and just avoid everyone else ENTIRELY, so as we don't become the bandits we so dislike.

Just finishing on a suggestion I saw on these forums (no link sorry, can't find it anymore) about weapon/item degradation. Degrades very slowly over time (or not at all) for regular players, but on death the items become damaged and less functional (jams, inaccuracy, slower reloads, etc.) and eventually break. Reliable weapons such as ak's, shotguns, revolvers, hunting rifles, etc. last longer than the complicated military weapons such as high grade snipers, silenced weapons, etc. meaning that the bandits using high tier gear have a reason to pursue non/less-violent methods such as trading or robbery to attain gear without ruining it.

PK's do it because they know there's a real life person on the other side not enjoying their gaming. The idea of people raging' date=' quitting or crying on the forum because of their actions is the game they play and the motivation to invest hours of time. Zombies are boring to them because they are both no challenge and don't care when they get wtfpwn'd. Roleplaying a "zombie survivor" is equally alien.

They adore Day-z because there's lots of noobs, the game is full of exploits, they can gear up to give themselves a massive advantage so they rarely die (sniper rifles being the preferred weapon, even better if you don't even see them), dying sets their target back and there's no repercussions from playing this way. If you wanted to design a game to make the PK community wet themselves it would probably look something like day-z.

[/quote']

Show me on the doll where the bad PK man touched you son. Christ, you're pathological with this shit.

I have been playing this mod for a couple weeks now. I have run into friendlies and "bandits". I have watched the bandit videos on Youtube. It really seems like there are folks that just come into the server to poach those who are trying to play the survivor game. I can see maybe shooting someone if you were starving, but all of the videos I have seen didn't suggest that. In fact at the major cities people just wait for the newly spawned just to kill them. I guess that is cool, not much of a challenge though.

I know that there isn't anyway to fix this, but don't we already have games for that?

Because I see these threads so fucking much I can't help but to wonder if the same conversation goes on... This is the thread to either discuss' date=' bitch, moan, suggest, or state otherwise your opinion or ideas or topics of PvP, Anti Banditry, These 'COD Kiddies' you guys like to call them, or people who shoot on sight.

There will be no "Carebear" terms here, there will be no "Go back to COD" posts, make this a legitimate and civil discussion thread in which we can post without flaming. (Or try to.)

My view on this? There is no solution to the "PvP" in this game.. It's a feature that has been implemented into the mod and in the end there is no solution. You are the solution. The people of the community need to rise up and stand for themselves instead of being put down by the banditry and traitors that roam these lands, make your own group as I have, dedicated to the entire cause of the Survivors for the people. [b']You need to take your part in creating a safer environment if you want people to take a different look on our community and the mod itself, posting and whining about how you got killed is not the way to go if you can stand up and do something about all of this yourself. Plan, discuss, take action. Stop all the talk and do what you have to.

I'm okay with pvp, but killing others on sight is pretty stupid, one could benefit more from robbing survivors without killing them, because this way if you meet again you can rob them again and again without killing them, this way bandits can get what they want and survivors will still have some of they're things, this way everyone is happy(well, survivors won't be happy, but at least they won't get shot and won't have to start all over again)

I have survived several trips to Cherno, Elektro and other hotspots on highly populated servers. I have gone in both alone without gear and together with friends and better gear.

Me and my friends have now twice set up camp on a server and gathered resources for our new players. Sure we die sometimes but mostly it is because of bugs or being careless. I am certain we could do it again even starting out fresh if we had to.

Certainly bandits have some undue advantages because of loging out and server hopping, and I do long for the day when that is dealt with because then we will really be able to turn the table on these people. However, when you play DayZ and repeatedly die you should be taking note of how and where you died and think about why it happened. Learn from it and you will become a better player. Stop repeating your mistakes. Stop thinking like this is any other game you have played the last 10 years.

It is not at all impossible to survive in the current state of the game, even though a lot people in this thread seem to think so. Me and my friends, and a whole lot of other people are the evidence.

I don't think I'll ever meet another player in the server who will be a companion in some way.

This may have been said already.

At a certain stage of the game, you have all you need and no worries when it comes to surviving. Seriously. It's not a rare occurrence for a Dayz player to build-up resources once you venture with an axe until you get a reliable gun, a few canteens and a full hunting kit. Other players have this too. Once you Venture far enough inland, you'd surely realise other players would have the same stable status that you have. So really, there is nothing to be gained in terms of ensuring survival by killing another player.

I can't see the logic in this game in terms of PVP once I realise this.

From just a Day 2 player:

1 SMG

1 pistol

6 raw meat.

3 water canteens.

4 blood packs.

8 Morphine auto injectors

8 bandages

2 epi-pens

4 painkillers

Full hunting survival kit.

Map & Compass & Watch

Could you imagine if a day 4 player killed me? What would he gain? Nothing. Even If i killed him, it would be a pointless kill regardless of the chance of him killing me.

What I'm thinking is: I'm might just have to defend myself against a player who kills for pleasure. In an online gaming setting, this pleasure has become a serious cancer.

Oh mannn. I am fairly new to this mod, so far so bloody awesome. How ever I get killed by other players/ or so called bandits more often than infected. I get really frustrated playing this game for hours on end, finding sweet weapons, food, drinks, map, watch, toolbox, running for hours, killing hundreds of infected, than all of a sudden I turn my back and BAM! some wanker shoots me from no where. I will not result to 'shooting on sight' because of this. There are infected, shouldnt we be shooting them and not eachother??? I would love PVP to just be rid of. Friendly Fire OFF! PLEASE!

Discussing why bandits kill anyone is pointless. If you are going to play this game the first thing you have to do is simply accept that there will always be people who take pleasure in killing you. If you cannot handle that then this game is not for you.

After you have accepted this then you can start acting accordingly. Assume that there is always a sniper on the hill/rooftop. Assume that those shots you just heard being fired were meant for you. Do not take unneccesary risks, do not stay in high loot areas for long and keep on the move. Find people to play as a group with. If you want more tips on how to survive feel free to PM me. ;)

I would love PVP to just be rid of. Friendly Fire OFF! PLEASE!

Can still be exploited.

Go into a server with no PVP' date=' get an awesome sniper setup with maxXxed supplies. Log out, go to a Vantage point next to a city in another Server and kill players with a setup you gained with ease.

We're still waiting for the DayZ mods to conjure some magic and improve this Awesome MOD that has Awesome Potential that has simply disolved into a common online gaming server :dodgy:

Until then, we can only bitch and moan and accept the world we live in. A world where hope is carried in your pocket in the form of a can of beans, ready for a player who needs it.

[hr']

Discussing why bandits kill anyone is pointless. If you are going to play this game the first thing you have to do is simply accept that there will always be people who take pleasure in killing you. If you cannot handle that then this game is not for you.

I can handle that. Can they handle being called "A common faceless selfish cancerous person"?

Another tip for those who do not like getting killed by snipers: play on a server that does not allow 3rd person. It actually confuses me why it is even available as an option in a mod like this. It allows you to easily spot people before they have a chance to spot you (because you can look around a wall or ledge that you are hidden behind) which to me contradicts the very basic gameplay design.

Unfortunately there are way too few servers that turn off 3DP, but if people start poking server admins more then that could change. My hope is that it is turned off completely in the future. Either way I will certainly never play on a server where it is turned on.

NACK from a certain point:

As I meantioned before' date=' there's nothing against misuse in a [b']small manner. But what's happening here is a large rush. That is pointless.

Anyway, you are no judge of telling people what game they should prefer. Just let the people decide themselves what and how to play. This can lead to interesting variants you never can consider by a blinker sight.

After you have accepted this then you can start acting accordingly.

You tell me I should start to make a fool of me by rushing in the same manner? Never. This suggestion sounds like I should subdue to a dictatorship. You ever know why there are refugees in the world? No? Then you should start thinking.

Assume that there is always a sniper on the hill/rooftop. Assume that those shots you just heard being fired were meant for you. Do not take unneccesary risks' date=' do not stay in high loot areas for long and keep on the move. Find people to play as a group with. If you want more tips on how to survive feel free to PM me. ;)

[/quote']

Yeah. Of course you're the best and show to all others how the gameplay is meant. You're my hero! :angel:

My aim is to survive for hours than for minutes. I think this is not asking too much.

Unfortunately there are way too few servers that turn off 3DP' date=' but if people start poking server admins more then that could change[/quote']

If you are familiar with Metal Gear Online (3rd person shooter), you'd know how this can DESTROY game play. On MGO, you could stand at a corner and watch the alley in front of you. You could then line up your sight, take one step out and get a perfect 1 shot head shot in 1 second with flashbang results.

IT IS PATHETIC.

In Arma II single player, It's added just to accommodate for lazy players, Noobs or players wanting to enjoy the scenery of a Single player game. With Online Gameplay, instead of it being an addition towards the experience, it's become an addition towards exploitation.

DayZ Mods apparently hate Exploits. Apparently....

NACK from a certain point:

As I meantioned before' date=' there's nothing against misuse in a [b']small manner. But what's happening here is a large rush. That is pointless.

I am not really arguing against that wanton PKing is pointless, I am simply saying that it is unavoidable in a game like this. The current state of the game lets PKs abuse game mechanics (or lack thereof) so that the playing field is not level. Things will calm down when they can no longer Alt-F4 to survive any situation and simply hop on another server and start again.

This is the current state of this alpha however, so if you want to play you have to accept it and find ways to deal with it.

Anyway' date=' you are no judge of telling people what game they should prefer. Just let the people decide themselves what and how to play. This can lead to interesting variants you never can consider by a blinker sight.

[/quote']

I am not telling you what game you should like, I am simply saying that if you cannot handle PKs then this game is likely not for you because they will always be around.

You tell me I should start to make a fool of me by rushing in the same manner? Never. This suggestion sounds like I should subdue to a dictatorship. You ever know why there are refugees in the world? No? Then you should start thinking.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. I am suggesting that you should learn the rules of the game and adapt to them. Yes we all suffer under the dictatorship of the game mechanics. Some of us choose to try to understand them while others go on the forums and whine.

Yeah. Of course you're the best and show to all others how the gameplay is meant. You're my hero! :angel:

I am not the best nor have I claimed to be so. I think my longest survival time so far is 2 days. The point is that I accept it when I die and try to learn from it. Again' date=' as opposed to whining about it.

My aim is to survive for hours than for minutes. I think this is not asking too much.

Perhaps you should not ask others to bear the responsability of your survival, but make it your own?

My experience is that most players will shoot you at sight. It doesn't matter if you are unarmed and yell friendly they will kill you just because they can. I love the game and the fact that cities are very dangerous to visit cause of players makes it even better. If you get tired of getting killed over and over don't visit cities.

When i first started playing i wanted to co-operate and be friendly but now i would shoot at sight cause its simply not worth the risk to find out if a player is friendly or not.

I am not really arguing against that wanton PKing is pointless' date=' I am simply saying that it is unavoidable in a game like this. The current state of the game lets PKs abuse game mechanics (or lack thereof) so that the playing field is not level. Things will calm down when they can no longer Alt-F4 to survive any situation and simply hop on another server and start again.[/quote']

We are in common.

This is the current state of this alpha however' date=' so if you want to play you have to accept it and find ways to deal with it.[/quote']

That sounds much different than If you cannot handle that then this game is not for you. I'm OK with that.

I am not sure what you are trying to say here. I am suggesting that you should learn the rules of the game and adapt to them.

Tell me more about the rules.

Yes we all suffer under the dictatorship of the game mechanics. Some of us choose to try to understand them while others go on the forums and whine.

No' date=' we don't, and nobody comes whining. The common sense I experienced in this forum is unisono: PK'ing is available and gets used, no matter about how much it is used, simply accept it. That's not right from my viewpoint.

I am not the best nor have I claimed to be so. I think my longest survival time so far is 2 days. The point is that I accept it when I die and try to learn from it. Again, as opposed to whining about it.

Of course we all do learn. As in life as also in this game, there may be some points an inference may not go congruent with the initial idea. I think this point has been reached with massive PK'ing, so phrases about "stop whining" or "don't try to change" aren't appropiate.

Perhaps you should not ask others to bear the responsability of your survival' date=' but make it your own?[/quote']

If I'd do, I never would discuss about it but hold forth on whining. Additionally, you'd have received a pm from me. ;) I use to handle things on my own, but this is not always possible in a large community. Gameplay is also co-op, but this is a point -actually- not available now, except in rare groups which has formed widely outside of this game.

I love the game and the fact that cities are very dangerous to visit cause of players makes it even better. If you get tired of getting killed over and over don't visit cities.

When i first started playing i wanted to co-operate and be friendly but now i would shoot at sight cause its simply not worth the risk to find out if a player is friendly or not.

Well' date=' it's OK for you. That's alright. But please keep in mind that not everyone wants to play this game in that way. If it keeps up, I'll lose all interest. This is not the way I expected from a [b']Zombie Survival Mod.

This is not the way I expected from a Zombie Survival Mod.

Nowhere is it described in those words. However, from the twitter page:

"The first and thus best, free-roaming, survival mod for Arma 2. Comes with a free side order of Zombies"

Also I have received no PM yet :(

A few dayz ago, I was ambushed by a sniper (I think he used a DMR). I was looting the top of Elektro Hospital when bullets started to rain.

I was lucky, the guy was bad. He wasted around 30 shots to get me, never hit me once. Dude, if you are reading this, please, learn how to use a Mildot...

Anyway, I was only armed with a lee enfield & few clips, so I guessed that my only possible move was to DC (too pussy-like) OR shoot back at the sniper.

I waited a minute, crawled to another position, and used my googles to see where he was, and finally I found him: 500-700m away, on the hill next to the firestation. I went to prone, unloaded a few round on that guy and immediatly jumped on the ladder & run away as fast as I could. Poor lad tried to shoot me but missed again.

I just wonder, what's the point of hunting down players in cherno / elek when you're geared up as fuck? do you really need my bandages that much? Anyway dude, I hope you enjoyed wasting your ammos that much, and I suggest you learn how to use a scope, a milldot, and play on the editor :}

Oh, and to the bandit that ambushed me when I was in Berezino & DC when I started to shoot back: shame on you.

Nowhere is it described in those words. However' date=' from the twitter page:

[i']"The first and thus best, free-roaming, survival mod for Arma 2. Comes with a free side order of Zombies"

Hum. What's about this?

A 225 km² open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population' date=' now infected with the disease.

Go Solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

This is DayZ.[/quote']

So you're telling me I've understood the game completely wrong?

Also I have received no PM yet :(

There was never the intention to do that.