Legacy (DayZ)

The one and only Anti-PVP/PvP Discussion thread! Whine/discuss here!

The Zombies are not the real zombies in this game - the human players are the zombies!

We play, trust, and get betrayed to our "death".

We come back and have learned a bitter leason about trust. Only the desperate can trust in this DayZ zombie apocolpyse, for everyone else you just risk losing all of your investment.

We all learn that lesson. Like a virus, this human behaviour, speads through the game! Reinforced with each "death". We become murdering zombies ourselves!!!

Everyone is a dangerous stranger to everyone else, except for those meeting up outside of the game!!! Ha that is funny. Clearly that does not work right.

Of course, in real life it's not like that even in the worst kind of social disaster. We all have one life - so we ourselves do not come back and become another murderer! We take our trust to the grave.

The Zombies are not the real zombies in this game - the human players are the zombies!

We play' date=' trust, and get betrayed to our "death".

We come back and have learned a bitter leason about trust. Only the desperate can trust in this DayZ zombie apocolpyse, for everyone else you just risk losing all of your investment.

We all learn that lesson. Like a virus, this human behaviour, speads through the game! Reinforced with each "death". We become murdering zombies ourselves!!!

Everyone is a dangerous stranger to everyone else, except for those meeting up outside of the game!!! Ha that is funny. Clearly that does not work right.

Of course, in real life it's not like that even in the worst kind of social disaster. We all have one life - so we ourselves do not come back and become another murderer! We take our trust to the grave.

[/quote']

"We play, trust, and get betrayed to our "death"."

I would have no problem with this, but the game is just Call of Duty where the only weapon in the game is by the guy with a shotgun waiting for you to get close, right now, sure if maybe bandits had better places to sit then the buildings that are best for weapon spawns cause its a building that you cannot get into but one door, now blocked by barbwire.

Everyone just shoots everyone, and now you don't even have the chance to bump into people and survive cause anyone who has a weapon well kill you, even if you hadn't even had the time to take out your flashlight

I did read it' date=' class systems and bringing back the bandit skin? No.

[/quote']

Good argument.

I say this with complete certainty, your immersion matters little to everyone else. Having everyone wanting you dead is a feature of the game, not at all detrimental, it makes you value your life more.

I say this with complete certainty: your need for a simplistic deathmatch game matters little to everyone else. Having everyone wanting you dead gets boring real fast, and the solutions that I have mentioned will not make you value your life LESS. There will still be bandits on every hilltop, on every weapon spawn, ready to hunt you down and destroy you, and that's how it also should be (as I mentioned before, but maybe you skipped that part).

You want it more interesting by making it just like every other game, with class systems and distinguishable enemies, thus making the whole idea of a wolf in sheeps clothing completely moot. No thanks.

Ohh that's funny, especialy concidering how the current deathmatch nature of the game doesn't at all resemble every other shooter that has ever existed. It offers zero variety. You want to be a wolf in sheeps clothing? Everyone are wolves right now so what on earth are you on about.

Noone forces you to be a bandit, and if everyone was forced to be a bandit, then I would have alot more bandit kills, as it stands, 1:30 players I encounter are bandits.

Ok, let me rephrase myself: you are forced to become a mindless murderer.

This is happening regardless of the PVP, check the threads in the survivor forum. Laziness is the only thing that seperates all the survivors from eachother.

I think I have mentioned this twice: you should not have to contact someone on a forum to avoid shooting eachother on sight, it should be possible within the game. If you are talking about this actually happening randomly in-game, then yes, it CAN happen, but you need to be extremely naive to even dare getting in a situation involving another player right now. I've had someone say "friendly!", where he would just shoot me in the face the second I let him approach me.

Laziness, huh? Amusing.

I am sorry, but once again your arguments are mostly "no, do not want" or based on you simply ignoring facts just to get your point across (for example blaming this on "laziness" on my part)

We all learn that lesson. Like a virus' date=' this human behaviour, speads through the game! Reinforced with each "death". We become murdering zombies ourselves!!!

[/quote']

"We play, trust, and get betrayed to our "death"."

I would have no problem with this, but the game is just Call of Duty where the only weapon in the game is by the guy with a shotgun waiting for you to get close, right now, sure if maybe bandits had better places to sit then the buildings that are best for weapon spawns cause its a building that you cannot get into but one door, now blocked by barbwire.

Everyone just shoots everyone, and now you don't even have the chance to bump into people and survive cause anyone who has a weapon well kill you, even if you hadn't even had the time to take out your flashlight

Agreed, social aspects and cooperation, with new people you meet ingame, died when we all become zombies!!!

My serious suggestion is that Trust has to be part of the game mechanic, or new players will give up too soon.

There needs to be some element of either necessity/advantage to trust or the "bandit" label needs be to strongly applied so people know who is trustworthy or not, so banditry has some downside rather than being all upside.

Two ideas:

1) A Bandit label is applied to a character name; and importantly this persists even after Death. You must create a new name if you want to lose that label. The age of the name is clear to other players.

So new players are an unknown quantity, old players have a track record.

I doubt that pure PvP players would have trouble with that. It doesn't stop anyone playing how they want. If you want to betray - create a new name.

Of course in real life - none of us has a tooltip saying they are reliable above their head. But in real life - we don't come back from the grave to add to a zombie apocalyse!

2) Create safe zones, where PvP can be punished. But no artifical game mechanic will do.

I suggest AI faction groups (20 men) hold some countryside areas. The armed AI people will shoot any player who kills another player within their zone. Has to be located so snipers cannot pick the AI off!

In the AI faction zone, you can trade with other players or meet up in relative safety.

This also allows/encourages players to group together, to raid the AI faction for weapons + stores and to kill any human players who thought they were completely safe!

2) Create safe zones' date=' where PvP can be punished. But no artifical game mechanic will do.

I suggest AI faction groups (20 men) hold some countryside areas. The armed AI people will shoot any player who kills another player within their zone. Has to be located so snipers cannot pick the AI off!

In the AI faction zone, you can trade with other players or meet up in relative safety.

This also allows/encourages players to group together, to raid the AI faction for weapons + stores and to kill any human players who thought they were completely safe!

[/quote']

This, put the good ol armed forces back in some of the citys, maybe tin cans could be currency? lol

Having just watched the livestream 2 hour video It seems evident to me that rocket did NOT, I repeat NOT intend this mod to be played like it is now.

The pk'r community have absolutely ruined the experience of playing this fine SURVIVAL co-op mod..... Selfish bastards.

The 3rd guy they met in the livestream video runs in screaming like an indian and causes absolute chaos.

I notice they were nowhere near the utter carnage of the coast either in that video. They were strolling around the countryside without a care in the world. Imagine if all 6 of them spawned on the coast for a REAL account of what it's like to play this game.

HAving said that, it's obvious why they stayed off the coast as it was an interview also. I really, REALLY hope rocket knows the pk'er community are ruining his mod.

At this point Rocket would be aware there's a PK'er issue going on. The unfortunate part is, since Bandits are a crucial part of the game, he's going to be hard pressed to find a solution.

Most PK players don't understand there is a different between playing a bandit, and being a KoS braindead tool. Once Rocket gets the distinction down, we'll be better off.

At this point Rocket would be aware there's a PK'er issue going on. The unfortunate part is' date=' since Bandits are a crucial part of the game, he's going to be hard pressed to find a solution.

Most PK players don't understand there is a different between playing a bandit, and being a KoS braindead tool. Once Rocket gets the distinction down, we'll be better off.

[/quote']

He is aware of it, and it's one of the main things he is working on at this point, judging from this interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXnb_3pTIbo

Jump to 08:10

In that video he basically says that playing the game purely for PK is "just part of it", so it's not really much support for him being interested in controlling it. He seems to think if there are more long term goals (which take a lot of development effort to implement) there'll be less people focusing on PK or people won't be bothered by it?

Then again he seems to be quite an optimist. He was shocked that the hackers would see something with potential and screw it up just for fun.

Insted of complaining about bandits , deal with it.

Take more care in your movement and stop walking around thinking everyone loves you. It's a survival situation , you will be killed for beans /ammo. Even if people are killing for no reason perhaps you should join a survivor group and then you won't be alone when these things happen. Don't go into the cities and stay in the countryside and you won't have a problem.

It baffles me there is even a discussion on this...It's part of the game and it should stay exactly how it is.

Insted of complaining about bandits ' date=' deal with it.

Take more care in your movement and stop walking around thinking everyone loves you. It's a survival situation , you will be killed for beans /ammo. Even if people are killing for no reason perhaps you should join a survivor group and then you won't be alone when these things happen. Don't go into the cities and stay in the countryside and you won't have a problem.

It baffles me there is even a discussion on this...It's part of the game and it should stay exactly how it is.

[/quote']

So your saying we have everything thats needed in dayz so alpha is complete?

Insted of complaining about bandits ' date=' deal with it.

Take more care in your movement and stop walking around thinking everyone loves you.[/quote']

You can check every corner, look around at every bush, check the tree lines, walk silently, and crawl when you need to, and still get sniped by some piece of shit half a mile away.

Ya that's real zombie survival! Jesus get a clue.

Zero Punctuation: Assassins Creed: Brotherood

first 90secs describe Dayz at the moment.

:) It really sort of does..

i just dont get why rocket doesn't turn to the community to solve the problem, we, the community should do a Moriarty based vote over every major decision of the game.

i just dont get why rocket doesn't turn to the community to solve the problem' date=' we, the community should do a Moriarty based vote over every major decision of the game.

[/quote']

i love how the community thinks it has some form of ownership over dayz , it's rockets decision and he can do whatever he likes without having to consult the community.

This mod is like a zombie apocalipse simulation. And the great thing is, that the players are acting like in a real situation because there is a risk to die. You dont trust everyone, if u see someone with a weapon you dont take the chance to ask him if he is friendly or not, u shoot him because u dont want to die. Thats perfectly normal because its like humans are. This game raises your survival instinct, because if u die u lose everything.

The PvP in this mod is one of the best I have ever seen. It's not like killing others for points, its killing them for survival. When people are in real danger, the first they think of is themselfs because its a natural reaction, everyone would kill for surviving. This game simulate this situations, u cant change this, u cant change the humanity in us.

Still it's just a game, but in my opinion u will enjoy it most if u get into it, it is kinda role playing.

i just dont get why rocket doesn't turn to the community to solve the problem

Yeah, it's so confusing.

I also often wonder why Jack Kerouac didn't invite classrooms full of 3rd graders to come look over his shoulder and critique his manuscripts as he wrote. They could have totally voted and stuff, and then his novels would be less boring and have like ponies and unicorns and space aliens.

This mod is like a zombie apocalipse simulation. And the great thing is' date=' that the players are acting like in a real situation because there is a risk to die. You dont trust everyone, if u see someone with a weapon you dont take the chance to ask him if he is friendly or not, u shoot him because u dont want to die. Thats perfectly normal because its like humans are. This game raises your survival instinct, because if u die u lose everything.

The PvP in this mod is one of the best I have ever seen. It's not like killing others for points, its killing them for survival. When people are in real danger, the first they think of is themselfs because its a natural reaction, everyone would kill for surviving. This game simulate this situations, u cant change this, u cant change the humanity in us.

Still it's just a game, but in my opinion u will enjoy it most if u get into it, it is kinda role playing.

[/quote']

No, the problem lies within the fact if you murder someone, you lose nothing and gain loot.

If you don't kill the person, then you risk being shot in the back and get nothing.

In a logical argument, there's absolutely no reason to why NOT to shoot someone.

It promotes death match primarily.

The only way people obtain a legit co-op experience is by spamming the forums for buddies or coming in contact with their friends before joining a server. Which is metagaming.

This game should be able to promote co-op without the use of metagaming, as it stands, "no one trusts anyone" is what turns this into a plain killing zone.

The karma system is what's being worked on to solve this problem and help better understand the people you are dealing with when deciding to take someone out.

Right now, the bandits will always have the top hand, because they get the first shot, they get the first kill.

The guy respawns, and does the exact same thing because he loses faith in trusting anymore.

As time goes by, the common player adapts this concept and everyone puts bullets in each other.

And no, this is not realism, 99.99% of those bandits that feel so great about looting survivor's corpses wouldn't have the guts to actually take someone's life.

Most people shoot on sight because they know this is just a game. So who cares what happens. They don't really lose anything for it, but all to gain.

This mod is like a zombie apocalipse simulation. And the great thing is' date=' that the players are acting like in a real situation because there is a risk to die. You dont trust everyone, if u see someone with a weapon you dont take the chance to ask him if he is friendly or not, u shoot him because u dont want to die. Thats perfectly normal because its like humans are. This game raises your survival instinct, because if u die u lose everything.

[/quote']

I don't agree. In real life, you do not come back to life after the guy you trusted killed you. This game is full of re-incarnated murder victims who darn't trust anyone!

This mod is like a zombie apocalipse simulation. And the great thing is' date=' that the players are acting like in a real situation because there is a risk to die.

[/quote']

The only way people obtain a legit co-op experience is by spamming the forums for buddies or coming in contact with their friends before joining a server. Which is metagaming.

This game should be able to promote co-op without the use of metagaming, as it stands, "no one trusts anyone" is what turns this into a plain killing zone.

The karma system is what's being worked on to solve this problem and help better understand the people you are dealing with when deciding to take someone out.

As time goes by, the common player adapts this concept and everyone puts bullets in each other.

I think you said it pretty well. Karma system?

If you don't kill the person' date=' then you risk being shot in the back and get nothing. [/quote']

Yes, like in a real apocalypse :D

In a logical argument' date=' there's absolutely no reason to why NOT to shoot someone.

[/quote']

Sure there are reasons, just think about it.

It promotes death match primarily.

So that's great...

Thats not true...

This game should be able to promote co-op without the use of metagaming' date=' as it stands, "no one trusts anyone" is what turns this into a plain killing zone. [/quote']

Thats your opinion...

Right now' date=' the bandits will always have the top hand, because they get the first shot, they get the first kill. [/quote']

Yeah, and thats good. The other players have to be more careful. But thats not the bandits problem, its yours.

The guy respawns' date=' and does the exact same thing because he loses faith in trusting anymore.[/quote']

Exactly, that's the goal.

And no' date=' this is not realism, 99.99% of those bandits that feel so great about looting survivor's corpses wouldn't have the guts to actually take someone's life. [/quote']

How do you know that?

The game needs pk's! I have no problem with that. It's just that when the majority play that way - murdering someone stops being a fun lifestyle choice, and becomes a grind...to the exclusion of all other fun lifestyle choices. This game has become unbalanced; psychotic might be a good word to describe it!

In reality shooting left and right at everybody is probably the quickest way to get yourself killed. If you don't hit instantly, people often get pissed off.

I just got killed in Gorka, middle of nowhere, while I was crawling AWAY from the town... How is this realistic in anyway? really could use some method of discouraging this Shoot on sight BS :P

You dont trust everyone' date=' if u see someone with a weapon you dont take the chance to ask him if he is friendly or not, u shoot him because u dont want to die. Thats perfectly normal because its like humans are.

[/quote']

What if you guy as no weapon yet cause all the game is spawning is tin cans. oh wait you just shoot him anyways cause your not roleplaying in the game your just shooting people cause you want too,and you get free stuff, maybe crappy stuff but its free to you so why not shoot them, they are obviously not trying to play the game correctly