Sign in to follow this  
crazywolf5150

Reduce fall damage

I've found a game breaking bug at the school admin building in Vybor that made my character run off the roof of the building, instantly killing himself. I all of the sudden had no control over my character when they started sprinting and fell off the roof. I know there's nothing wrong with my keyboard because this has happened twice and only at the Vybor school admin building and no where else. To make things worse I had almost everything I needed or wanted. I had a Mossin, sawed off shotgun, revolver, FNX45, plenty of ammo, a black military beret (rare) and I had literally just found a compensator for my Mossin at that very same building. To add insult to injury I even had a morphine injector, so had my character survived the fall from two stories I would have been able to heal my legs.

Please reduce the amount of fall damage in the game. If I fell off a two or three story building in real life it would hurt a lot, but it wouldn't kill me. Zombie bites don't seem to kill, but falling off a short building does? I thought this game was supposed to be somewhat realistic. Also, please fix this extremely frustrating bug that had killed two of my healthy, fully armed characters for no good reason. This bug makes me not want to play the game again because there's nothing worse than spending several hours getting your character perfect with the best gear in the game only to have them killed by some stupid bug. It makes no sense that falling from one story breaks your legs and falling from two stories instantly kills you, so at the very least reduce the fall damage.

Falling down a 2-3 story building will pretty sure kill most of us.

Please reduce the amount of fall damage in the game. If I fell off a two or three story building in real life it would hurt a lot, but it wouldn't kill me.

Are you even aware of the actual height when being in the third storey? I suggest going up there and look down. If you then still think you won't hurt yourself when jumping down there might be consideration of changing it.

I don't suggest actually jumping down - but just getting the feeling whilst standing on the edge / looking out the window to look down.

Falling down a 2-3 story building will pretty sure kill most of us.

No, it won't. Unless you've never drank milk in your life and you're the size of a 5 year old.

A 20-30 feet won't kill most teens or adults, as long as they don't land on their neck. Last week a man in my state threw his child from a motel. It survived (as did he, after he jumped) a 20 foot drop.

Are you even aware of the actual height when being in the third storey? I suggest going up there and look down. If you then still think you won't hurt yourself when jumping down there might be consideration of changing it.

I don't suggest actually jumping down - but just getting the feeling whilst standing on the edge / looking out the window to look down.

You must not have read what I just said, which was: "If I fell off a two or three story building in real life it would hurt a lot, but it wouldn't kill me."

I'm 6'5" and I'm fairly sure I could drop just over 3 times my height feet first and live,  granted I might have to walk off the impact from landing but it's doable. However if I fell badly, ie, slipped from the window ledge or whatever, I'd expect to possibly break an ankle or a leg. 

Hopefully in future the damage model may reflect this but as of now, even dropping 10 feet kills you which, even for an Alpha, is pretty harsh.

Edited by =FOX= Damocles

I'm with the Op, I died from falling down 2 metres a couple of times yet. I mean its okay to die if you fall down 3-5 metres. But falling down 2 metres and you die? You actually can break your bones ingame, but it seems like you don't break your legs from falling down.

And guys, you can survive almost everything if you get medical care, but there are no doctors anymore in this apocalyptic world...

Edited by deewd22

Some one should test what's the shortest height that you will die from. But from my experience your character will die from about a one story fall at the least which isnt a lot, I'm pretty sure most people could survive that. It should be broken legs at 2 stories and death at 3.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that the fall damage model in DayZ is a place holder until they perform some serious coding. This strikes me as something that the Arma 2 engine was never designed for, and it will probably require a lot of coding to implement a satisfactory solution.

Don't worry I two plummeted five feet from halfway down a flight of barn stairs too my death not too long ago... I gave DayZ a break for a few days after that...

I'm 6'5" and I'm fairly sure I could drop just over 3 times my height feet first and live,  granted I might have to walk off the impact from landing but it's doable. However if I fell badly, ie, slipped from the window ledge or whatever, I'd expect to possibly break an ankle or a leg. 

Hopefully in future the damage model may reflect this but as of now, even dropping 10 feet kills you which, even for an Alpha, is pretty harsh.

Superman actor fell off the horse and was paralyzed for the rest of his life, good luck.

Superman actor fell off the horse and was paralyzed for the rest of his life, good luck.

Yep, it has to be harsh, I think, to make you wary about taking risks in a situation where there is no medical support available.

That said, 100% death chance from these kind of falls is a bit digital.

I'd imagine something of this sort would be a little more realistic:

10-15ft drop: 50% chance of a leg injury/walking away unscathed.

15-30ft drop: 20% chance of leg injury, 60% long-term crippling (stuck prone), 20% death

Anything over that: 10% chance permanently crippled, 90% death.

[Craft Michelin man suit from foam mattress? Y/N]

Edited by Harmonica

A two story fall might break a leg. A three story fall would leave you seriously injured. Neither would likely instantly kill you. So yeah. They need to dial it back a bit.

I would understand if my character's legs broke or he got injured pretty badly from a two story fall, but the only way he would have died from a drop that far was if he landed on his neck and broke it. Seeing as how our characters always land on their feet when they fall I don't see this as a likely occurrence. I really hope that the fall damage is just a "place holder," but how hard can it be to adjust something like this? All it would really take is changing a couple variables or global constants in the code and problem solved (at least with the fall damage).