Sign in to follow this  
leefriendfield

How to use the Walkie Talkie / Transmitter

I have found so many transmiters but I have always thought of it as trash, but after hearing that they work I decided to try to see if I could figure out how to work it. After fiddeling with a friend testing the transmitter we figured out how to use it.

1) Insert Battery into transmitter, sometimes when you hover the battery above the transmitter the battery is green but if you drop the battery over the transmitter it will be inserted in without any problem.

2) Right click on the Transmitter and select the frequency you wish to use.

3) Right click and select (Frequency) ON so it should read (Frequency OFF)

4) Press the , or . key to go from direct coms to whatever frequency you are using

5) Now press your Push-To-Talk key and you now have a fully functional transmitter

Tip: Leave the transmitter on its default frequency so you hae a better chance of being able to communicate to another person or yell at a group to drop their weapons.

Edited by LeeFriendField
  • Like 2

Its too bad there isn't instructions on the description, most people will avoid using these items because of the fact you have to "figure out how to use them" or have it explained to you (either way  its going to take 2 people or research).

Can anyone confirm if you can set a radio on the ground turned on and still hear whoever might be talking on it? (IE: drop it in a bush, wait for someone to pass by, and scream into the 2nd radio you have from the saftey of a treeline)

Its too bad there isn't instructions on the description, most people will avoid using these items because of the fact you have to "figure out how to use them" or have it explained to you (either way  its going to take 2 people or research).

Can anyone confirm if you can set a radio on the ground turned on and still hear whoever might be talking on it? (IE: drop it in a bush, wait for someone to pass by, and scream into the 2nd radio you have from the saftey of a treeline)

Next time my im on with my group we will check for you.

I did comfirm that when you talk in the walkie talkie chat people in your facinity can still hear you

I think it's pretty self explanatory actually. Also getting instructions for EVERYTHING is what's ruining most of the current-gen mainstream games in my opinion. Back in the day you had to find the solutions to difficult situations yourself, you don't see that a lot anymore in recent games. One of the reasons I like this game so much.

• Like 5

I think it's pretty self explanatory actually. Also getting instructions for EVERYTHING is what's ruining most of the current-gen mainstream games in my opinion. Back in the day you had to find the solutions to difficult situations yourself, you don't see that a lot anymore in recent games. One of the reasons I like this game so much.

With the game in early alpha I always thought that an item without a description was just a place holder and wasnt working yet. The lack of a description makes me look at useful items and think "Damm this would be cool if it worked" and I tossed them away. Even a simple description that it works is all that the walkie talkie needs

When I first saw the walkie talkie I thought all I had to do was turn it on and talk and it would go through the selected channel. When that didn't work I thought you had to put it in your hand, which you can't. I thought it was broken until I read somewhere that you need to hit a random key to change your chat settings. I wouldn't have thought I'd need to change chat settings unless I read it somewhere (IE: in the description)

When I first saw the walkie talkie I thought all I had to do was turn it on and talk and it would go through the selected channel. When that didn't work I thought you had to put it in your hand, which you can't. I thought it was broken until I read somewhere that you need to hit a random key to change your chat settings. I wouldn't have thought I'd need to change chat settings unless I read it somewhere (IE: in the description)

Yes you're gonna find items that don't work, it's an alpha. Though I think if you just look rationally at the situation if the walkies ARE working (current situation), I reckon it's pretty easy to figure out those things need batteries as flashlights/weapon lights need them aswell, it's an electronical device. And after that all you've got to do is right click - I think that to be very self explanatory but that may be just personal then ;)

Edited by Problematic

can people in your area hear what someone says back to you too?

need to make these spawn in pairs tbh, maybe a whole box(rare ofc)

also, the less handholding the better

Edited by RestlessLegs

can people in your area hear what someone says back to you too?

need to make these spawn in pairs tbh, maybe a whole box(rare ofc)

also, the less handholding the better

Me and my group got hold of two walkie-talkies, and yes, others can hear you talking into the radio as if you were talking in direct, and replies on the radio will also be heard as if in direct.

Range seems to be around 3 kilometers.

Do these really need instructions? The first thing I did was try to put a battery in the first one I found. The second thing I did was right click it. I figured it would be common sense at this point XD

• Beans 1

DayZ isn't an instructions kind of game.

Me and my group got hold of two walkie-talkies, and yes, others can hear you talking into the radio as if you were talking in direct, and replies on the radio will also be heard as if in direct.

Range seems to be around 3 kilometers.

ok cool, thanks for the range advice.

whats the craic with badly damaged radios? I've put a battery into and it seems to work, do they have reduced range or should I just dump it as it's worthless?