alleycat

Zombies should run faster than players

If we are talking about realism in Day Z shouldn't the only way to kill zombies be with a severe blow to the head? Because in Day Z you can hit/shoot a zombie where ever you feel like and depending on your weapon the zombie will die in various amounts of hits.

Secondly, if this was realistic, when a zombie attacks you aren't you supposed to get infected and turn into a zombie? Hence the whole reason why it would be an actual problem if there was a Zombie Apocalypse

Edited by Timecharge

Secondly, if this was realistic, when a zombie attacks you aren't you supposed to get infected and turn into a zombie? Hence the whole reason why it would be an actual problem if there was a Zombie Apocalypse

I could be wrong here, but I think the idea is that the characters we play are the tiny number of the population who are immune to the zombie infection, so we don't turn.

Be careful what you wish for. People kept saying that zombies should have a greater range of hearing in the mod and you could hear the screaming and crying in Chernarus all the way to Taviana once they increased it.People would fire off a lee enfield in Elektro then flip out because 30-40 zombies would come looking for whoever rang the dinner bell.

It will be like that again soon don't worry :D

Yeah in an absolute worst case scenario i guess modern military forces could be "routed" by an unstoppable hyperinfectious disease spread by unarmed human hosts, i just don`t see what unarmed predators with basicly no other tactic than "charge" are going to do about bombs, tanks, planes, helicopters, snipers, and drones even if they only die by destroying their heads, because you don`t need to kill them to disable them, they are still somehow human i guess so even if impervious to pain, how would they move with broken spines or legs?

There are so many ways a zombie apocalypse would fail, the only way i see one succeeding is of this "infection" variety where the virus spreads and mutates so efficiently it can`t be stopped from entering your system anything short of living 1000 miles from the closest living organism capable of carrying the virus.  

You should actually read the book. it brings up excellent points to everything you question :) I mean let's be honest, you and a battalion of soldiers taking on a horde of thousands of zombies after you just watched them survive the most brutal attacks from the most advanced american military technology? Seriously, read the book. It's FAN-TASTIC

I could be wrong here, but I think the idea is that the characters we play are the tiny number of the population who are immune to the zombie infection, so we don't turn.

That is actually a technical and gameplay limitation. Players getting infected and turning would be too hard and players actually turning into zombies (playable) would add a lot of development work.

Also can the romero/max brooks fundamentalists stop pounding their favorite zombie bible and trying to enforce their limited belief on others? They act like real religious fundamentalists.

A zombie as defined by me, the great stray cat, is a humanoid running/shambling after you with limited intellect that wants to bite, punch you. And that can include 28days variants, the classic romero, case closed.

Also headshot only zombies would ruin the game for various reasons, one being, simple pistols with large magazines making any other weapon obsolete

Im with OP on this one. They just aren't a threat atm, and yeah I know there will be more, but even then what's the point. 20 zombies that can't catch you is no more scary than 5 that can't. I think once stamina is in and we have a limit to how much we can sprint, then they should be pegged right inbetween our run and sprint speed. That way we do have a chance to get away with sprint but if it runs out too early we would be screwed :)

Talk about yourself, if I don't have a gun and I have 4+ zombies coming at me I get worried, if I have a revolver and there are more than 6 I'm in trouble if I have no speed loader.

Zombies should be able to sprint faster than players.

Even with the newly added more zombies (bumped into 9 in solnichny) the zombies are never a real threat to your life. They only act as a delay that pushes you out of the area gently. All you need to do when you trip some of them is to run a few 100 meters out and they will get bored chasing you and leave you alone.

However it should be "shit I alerted 5 zombies, my life is in danger!" And the only way to get that is to make them faster than players. Because then alerting zombies poses a real threat.

The romero religious fanatics can stay out of the topic because in a game where you can easily run several kilometers in any direction and where zombie numbers are severely limited slow zombies can never pose a real threat, because too easy to out run and impossible to get cornered,

In that kind of apocalypse no free roaming humans could survive and Dayz is a free roaming game. Not a fortification style game. Danger coming from zombies should be in their numbers, not their agility.

• Like 2

In that kind of apocalypse no free roaming humans could survive and Dayz is a free roaming game. Not a fortification style game. Danger coming from zombies should be in their numbers, not their agility.

Which is technically impossible. You can not possibly stuff the game with so many zombies if they are slower than the player. Dead rising 2 for example has a few thousand on screen in a large mall and you can still avoid them if you are really smart. To achieve that amount of zombie density on a 12x12 km map you need probably millions. And not mentioning this is a multiplayer game.

deadrising2-1.jpg

1540799-deadrising2_2010_09_27_01_38_14_

This is the average zombie density in dead rising 2.

rocket said the current zombie count (when teh game was out) was 700 per map. And on the top screen shot there is at least 500 visible. This means dead rising 2 packs the entire zombie amount of chernarus into an area the size of a large parking lot.

Also mind that in Dead rising 2 the player can actually get cornered but consider the amount of zombies in relation to how enclosed the area is

Edited by alleycat

I played DR and those zombies are not ferocious enough. Their numbers are only that high to give a cool look to the outdoors. Other than that you can run through them like they have no hands to grab you with. Pretty dumb

Easiest solutions would be the best ones here. Add more hitpoints to current zombies and increase their numbers two folds.

Edit:

If devs of Dayz could replicate the numbers and lethality of State of Decay zombies, than this would be the best zombie MP ever.

Edited by Highlander007

Its a difficult balance issue and its one I am sure the devs will get round to soon. We have seen z numbers rising so that's a good sign.

I think they should be somewhere in between the sprint and the jog, a well fed player or one without any gear should be able to out sprint a z but a half starved person carrying a mountain backpack rifle etc should definitely be slower.

I am more excited to see increased numbers, some of the best times I had in the mod involved dealing with the aftermath of a lee enfield round in cherno

Which is technically impossible. You can not possibly stuff the game with so many zombies if they are slower than the player. Dead rising 2 for example has a few thousand on screen in a large mall and you can still avoid them if you are really smart. To achieve that amount of zombie density on a 12x12 km map you need probably millions. And not mentioning this is a multiplayer game.

deadrising2-1.jpg

1540799-deadrising2_2010_09_27_01_38_14_

This is the average zombie density in dead rising 2.

rocket said the current zombie count (when teh game was out) was 700 per map. And on the top screen shot there is at least 500 visible. This means dead rising 2 packs the entire zombie amount of chernarus into an area the size of a large parking lot.

Also mind that in Dead rising 2 the player can actually get cornered but consider the amount of zombies in relation to how enclosed the area is

I seriously doubt the Arma engine could handle that. If it did it would be slowwwwww.

I seriously doubt the Arma engine could handle that. If it did it would be slowwwwww.

The engine DayZ is using could render those zombies, the issue is server performance, and it is why we have limited zombie numbers to begin with.

And as I am sure I have mentioned before, increasing zombie run speed is just a quick "fix", and causes other issues, in Standalone, they already have the "leap" attack for the zombies, however, it is not fully implemented, I believe it is intended to knock players over, if you get knocked over with a few zombies chasing you, you could be screwed right there, my guess as to why it doesn't right now is they need to balance that so players aren't just insta killed when faced with a zombie that leaps at you.

Arma could never handle the large amount like in dead rising 2. Especially not in multiplayer. Unless few zombies will become a real danger like they were in the mod that part of the game is going to suck bad.

Even with the newly added more zombies (bumped into 9 in solnichny) the zombies are never a real threat to your life. They only act as a delay that pushes you out of the area gently. All you need to do when you trip some of them is to run a few 100 meters out and they will get bored chasing you and leave you alone.

However it should be "shit I alerted 5 zombies, my life is in danger!" And the only way to get that is to make them faster than players. Because then alerting zombies poses a real threat.

The romero religious fanatics can stay out of the topic because in a game where you can easily run several kilometers in any direction and where zombie numbers are severely limited slow zombies can never pose a real threat, because too easy to out run and impossible to get cornered,

They shouldn't be fast at all, they should be stupid, slow and wander around...in massive hordes! like in Resident Evil (classic ones) or No More Room in Hell

Not to mention that in Dead Rising any weapon cuts through zombies like a lawnmower through grass.  Including an actual lawnmower!

In DayZ it takes 20 shots with a wrench to the head to bring down a zombie.

You have to be able to eventually outrun zombies.  Period.  I mean how else would you get away from them?  I thought it was tedious in the Mod how they would follow you forever unless you exploited the AI by running through a building or hiding in a tree.

Not to mention that in Dead Rising any weapon cuts through zombies like a lawnmower through grass.  Including an actual lawnmower!

In DayZ it takes 20 shots with a wrench to the head to bring down a zombie.

You have to be able to eventually outrun zombies.  Period.  I mean how else would you get away from them?  I thought it was tedious in the Mod how they would follow you forever unless you exploited the AI by running through a building or hiding in a tree.

>You have to be able to eventually outrun zombies.  Period.  I mean how else would you get away from them?

By sneaking around, like it was possible in mod. If you do not have weapon to kill zombie, you sneak around.

• Like 1

I can't stand it when I see this. ZOMBIES ARE DECAYED HUMANS. THEY ARE NOT THE. 28days LATER KIND. THIS GAME IS SUPPOST TO BE REALISTIC. no fucking glass of chemicals can ever get rid of our current biological defensive system without completely killing it in he process. Zombies STILL generate lactic acid okay? they still get tired and hungery and thristy they just don't feel it. zombies are just going to be in larger hordes

oh and by the way dean hall already said these sombies are placeholders please fucking use he search function before posting

I can't stand it when I see this. ZOMBIES ARE DECAYED HUMANS. THEY ARE NOT THE. 28days LATER KIND. THIS GAME IS SUPPOST TO BE REALISTIC. no fucking glass of chemicals can ever get rid of our current biological defensive system without completely killing it in he process. Zombies STILL generate lactic acid okay? they still get tired and hungery and thristy they just don't feel it. zombies are just going to be in larger hordes

oh and by the way dean hall already said these sombies are placeholders please fucking use he search function before posting

That post is stupid on so many levels

It seems like the devs have been saying they would add more zombies from the very beginning. I don't want any sprinting zombies- I want real hordes of stumblers to make the cities dangerous. It's so much more classic too. 

Source: http://zombie.wikia.com/wiki/Rage_virus

The Rage virus causes its hosts to permanently enter a primal state of murderous rage and attempt to spread the infection or kill the uninfected above all else, even self-preservation. The Infected are reduced to an animalistic state of permanent hostility and aggression, driving them to attack non-infected with no concern for their own safety and no moral or other inhibitions that could control their actions and behaviour. In this state of permanent and extreme psychosis, the brain is continuously pumping adrenaline into the host's system, giving the Infected huge powers of endurance and super-human strength, but at the same time placing enormous stress on their metabolism, which alongside their disregard for their own safety, leads to eventual death through physical exhaustion, coma and/or starvation. The Infected experience spasms in the extremities, and their irises become blood red. They also vomit copious amounts of infected blood as well as violently gibbering for reasons unknown.

In the film 28 Days Later the virus that spreads is called "Rage". DayZ also uses a virus archetype. It could work, and would make it more fun. Stupid, slow, shambling zombies are boring.

#releaseyourrage

didnt see this until now, i agree the zombies should hunt us down relentlessly, but, there is always a limit to how physically fit zombies are, adrenaline can do a lot. for example i broke my collar bone, playing rugby and hardly felt it for 5mins, then the adrenaline stopped and it was painful. but i mean adrenaline can make you that bit faster or that bit faster but if you are unfit and get infected you cant go from homer simpson to usain bolt, it just doesnt work

NO! not.

because: this also destroyed dayz-mod! After patch 1.8.1 it was horrible. Zombies are so overpowered, hit range became massive! UNPLAYABLE - AND STILL SHIT

zombies should alert more zombies.

i remember when i starting killing in nwaf - with a mk.48. after the first twenty dead zombies i was simply overwhelmed, because the LMG brought all the boys to the yard. soon they were everywhere and mangled me to death before i could reload. have a single aggroed zombie alert 40 more, let them literally spawn on the player, raise from the ground, climb out of trash containers.

then we have a real threat.

Maybe add faster zombie variants, which only appears further inland. The longer the zed has "lived" the faster it is.

So newly infected near the coast, are slower. (To make the first steps after respawn easier)

And harder the further you venture inland. Where the infection has been longer, (?)