WrecklessMEDIC

Mosin rifle or M4?

Alright, so I've played the mod for about a year and put about 80 hours into the standalone so far. I've got 2 buddies I play with fairly regularly and we've traversed most of the map including the NWAF.

My one friend has a Mosin with limited attachments and the other a sawed-off shotgun. I've personally been rocking an M4 with about 4 clips and a bunch of ammo. Now, I finally stumble across a pristine Mosin after they've logged off to go to bed.

So my question is do I swap out the M4 for the Mosin? Mind you I'd be potentially giving up on a lot of ammo. I'm looking for suggestions on what's better for endgame with a couple friends.

M4 or Mosin? Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. It's about what you prefer.

Put Mosin at your back, take M4 into your hands.

Once your buddies log back, give Mosin or M4 to the guy with sawed-off. That thing is shit past 5 meters anyway.

Put Mosin at your back, take M4 into your hands.

Once your buddies log back, give Mosin or M4 to the guy with sawed-off. That thing is shit past 5 meters anyway.

I don't think that works any more. At least it didn't for me when I tried it today.

As for which one is better, they are both good at different things. M4 is good for short-mid ranges (mid ranges is debatable because the bullet spread on the M4 is terrible at the moment) and Mosin good for mid-long ranges. If you always play with your friends and one of them already has a Mosin, I'd say stick with the M4. If you play alone a lot, I'd take the mosin along with a sidearm but it really depends on your play style.

• Like 1

i prefer the M4 because you can always find lots of ammo and I'm usually shooting at zombies here and there so a Mosin wouldn't really work out for me because I like to kill zombies. Whatever you prefer is what you go with.

I don't think that works any more. At least it didn't for me when I tried it today.

As for which one is better, they are both good at different things. M4 is good for short-mid ranges (mid ranges is debatable because the bullet spread on the M4 is terrible at the moment) and Mosin good for mid-long ranges. If you always play with your friends and one of them already has a Mosin, I'd say stick with the M4. If you play alone a lot, I'd take the mosin along with a sidearm but it really depends on your play style.

Awesome, thanks for the input.

I do have a .45 pistol with decent ammo and I play a fair bit by myself when they're not online. It's a tough choice I never thought I'd have to make, honestly. :)

Well,

If you place a right scope and butt-stock (considering everything in pristine condition) and change the shooting mod to single shot per click, you can make sniping shots from 700-800 meters. And with same setup, you can go in to the city a lot safer then you will ever be with Mosin.

Edited by HellGuy

i prefer the M4 because you can always find lots of ammo and I'm usually shooting at zombies here and there so a Mosin wouldn't really work out for me because I like to kill zombies. Whatever you prefer is what you go with.

That is true. I have been finding a lot more ammo for the M4 than the Mosin so far.

Worked for me, I had an Mosin the other day and raided the NWAF at night, came across an M4 but no ammo so I dropped the Mosin, but the M4 on my back and took the Mosin back into my hands. I eventually found plenty of ammo for it so swapped out for the M4, dropping the mosin in the woods and keeping the little ammo I had for it for my buddies.

Worked for me, I had an Mosin the other day and raided the NWAF at night, came across an M4 but no ammo so I dropped the Mosin, but the M4 on my back and took the Mosin back into my hands. I eventually found plenty of ammo for it so swapped out for the M4, dropping the mosin in the woods and keeping the little ammo I had for it for my buddies.

The other day being before or after the last patch?

Well,

If you place a right scope and butt-stock (considering everything in pristine condition) and change the shooting mod to single shot per click, you can make sniping shots from 700-800 meters. And with same setup, you can go in to the city a lot safer then you will ever be with Mosin.

Very nice! How do you switch the M4 to single shot per click? I've never tried that and would love to be able to take out some zeds from a distance if I could while conserving ammo.

Well after extreme testing i can say that the m4 is great for no more than 300 metres, hellguy said single shot, i disagree, it looks like a long single shot is way off target when a small burst of 3 shots has a better chance to hit the target, weird i know test it and you shall see. Now when in group better to specialize, m4/revolver, mosin/45, if there is a third guy a long shotgun/45 will do the job, at least that how we roll. Carrying a second weapons is just stoopid unless you carry it for a buddy. 

You can't switch to single shot. Just tap your mouse for a single shot instead.

Ahh gotcha, thanks! :)

Ahh gotcha, thanks! :)

You can't switch to single shot. Just tap your mouse for a single shot instead.

I think it is default hotkey is "T" and I will try to record longest ranged shot hitting the spot one after other again and again. 

I noticed that I forgot to mention about bipod too.

I think it is default hotkey is "T" and I will try to record longest ranged shot hitting the spot one after other again and again. 

I noticed that I forgot to mention about bipod too.

I remap all my keys. Do you remember what the name of the actual binding is called?

So a fire select DOES exisit! How do you select single fire with the M4?

Also is you have the mulpul grip and an extended bipod, the my is quite accurate at up to 300 meters.

I do prefer the M4 by a large margin because I find myself in a close encounter pretty often.

I've used the Mosin + Long Range Scope and it is defiantly a good sniping rifle but it makes you very vulnerable when looting.

When I use the M4 I basically spray a few shots against the target and if 2-3 of them hit, the target is dead.

While shooting with the Mosin you have to be a lot more careful because if you miss you will have to reload.

My M4 does have a Bipod+Scope attached and this makes it a good medium range assault rifle as well.

In close encounters I only shot from the hip, without going into aiming mode.

Edited by YassirX

Well after extreme testing i can say that the m4 is great for no more than 300 metres, hellguy said single shot, i disagree, it looks like a long single shot is way off target when a small burst of 3 shots has a better chance to hit the target, weird i know test it and you shall see. Now when in group better to specialize, m4/revolver, mosin/45, if there is a third guy a long shotgun/45 will do the job, at least that how we roll. Carrying a second weapons is just stoopid unless you carry it for a buddy. 

This man is very wrong when it comes to saying no more than 300 meters.

700 I was doing before that, but even recording in 1080, you couldnt see the hit cause it was so far away. But it was dead on.

• Like 1

This man is very wrong when it comes to saying no more than 300 meters.

700 I was doing before that, but even recording in 1080, you couldnt see the hit cause it was so far away. But it was dead on.

You saved me from trouble of making a video for this...

For the love of god you are prone and that aint 700 metres, did i say prone?! Nop, how often do you firefight prone, seriously...try crouching and make that shot. Try that on a zombie not something static btw.

Edited by whothehellishe

For the love of god you are prone and that aint 700 metres, did i say prone?! Nop, how often do you firefight prone, seriously...try crouching and make that shot. Try that on a zombie not something static btw.

Not sure if serious.

Do you really expect the mosin to be accurate standing?

But I guess you miss the point of the video.

Edit: also, who stands at 300+ meters to shoot anyway?

Edited by RoanValorin

You die too much, right? :) if you don't you can try shooting, standing up maybe put some flares around to make sure.

Scope has range setup up to 700 meters and if bullets go below that, it means it is more than 700 meters. Simple...