Sign in to follow this  
jasher11

Gas Canister and portable gas lamp

They are AMAZING together, like I had a 3m glow radius all round me using it, also it takes up 2 slots when combined, they render flashlights/weapon lights/head torch useless this is so much better as you don't even need it in your hand, and from what I remember the gas is more or less endless from a canister,

advantages:

Can sprint full speed with lamp

Doesnt need to be in your hand to work

Provides a huge glow, great for looting 3m radius approx

Possibly gas canister doesn't run out

Disadvantages

Takes up 2 slots

Everyone an see the glow

If gas does run out :/

There is also a bug, though it may have been fixed, haven't tried it yet, where the Lamp stops giving off light. Not sure what causes it, but it's annoying. Other than that though the lamp is really nice to have, I tend to use it as a beacon when I'm meeting my squadmates at night, "Go into the light" is much easier than "Turn left at the black barn and wander through the woods until we stumble into each other."

Can you switch it on and then put it down? I've only ever fiddled with the canisters/lamps prior to the latest patch and on a daytime server so I have no idea. Being able to switch it on and then leave it somewhere would be a nice way to lure people in (or perhaps distract zeds if they're attracted to light, which would be a nice feature in itself if it doesn't already exist/is planned).

You can. Me and friends got sick of night so we looted every jajor town got 63 gas lamps, lighted up all of svetloyarsk

• Like 1

Lol Spartan, I'm going to try that.

And yes, you can set it on the ground and it will give off light.

My question: "Do beams of light still shoot through walls like we are living in feudal japan?"

Thanks for the tip will have to try it, cuz the flashlight definetly doesnt give enough light

Of course I guess with the lamp you are a walking target to all in the area lol

btw has anyone tried the Headtorch?

Night severs are usually empty anyway, but that bug is still present. (no light given from the lamp, it is just turned on but not shining on surrounding area)

Anyone know how to get rid of it?

There is also a bug, though it may have been fixed, haven't tried it yet, where the Lamp stops giving off light. Not sure what causes it, but it's annoying.

I noticed that this is happens when you go into another server, different than the one where you got the lamp. Something similar happens with spray paint cans, where when you join another server they become empty.

I noticed that this is happens when you go into another server, different than the one where you got the lamp. Something similar happens with spray paint cans, where when you join another server they become empty.

and there's a bug when u spray your mosin you can only load one bullet 

Edited by TheModernGamer94

Does it still blind you arma style if you keep it in your hand, I tried it once and ditched them because this arma lighting issue...

You don't even need to ever put it in your hand. Just turn it on in the backpack and it lights up around you. So nice. It just sucks about the bug if you change servers.

A Gas lamp is awesome! The flashlight makes the night so spooky. But a Lamp to hook on your bag would make it so much more comfortable for camp and wandering. Maybe to keep you a little warmer aswell!

Currently the gas lamp functions as follows (At least last I checked and I don't believe a patch has fixed it since.)

1. If turned on while on the ground, it will light up and light the area around it, so long as it is still in its native server (the server in which it spawned). If however, the server has reset or you switch servers, the lamp will still light up, though the area around it will not.

2. Though it can be carried in hand, it is not necessary nor recommended. It will light up and the glow will follow your movement so long as it is in your inventory and turned on with a gas canister attached, NOTE: The gas canister is necessary ONLY if you intend to carry it around, the lamp will work just fine even without one so long as it is on the ground, same for the portable stove.

3. While on, the lamp will blind the player after staring at it in close proximity (such as when in hand) after just a few seconds. this occurs regardless of whether it is actually providing light due to a server change. This means after a server change, it becomes a bright white beacon that can be used to distract other players or draw attention to a specific area.

4. While it provides a great amount of light, it takes up two slots in your inventory and to some players, is just not worth it. There is currently another glitch in place that players who want less inventory taken up but still want a light source, might find useful. Currently the Flashlight can be rather useful more than a player might initially think. If turned on then dropped, the flashlight will drop at the player's feet and shine a beam of light 90 degrees to the right of whichever direction the player is facing. This much seems obvious. Currently however, the beam of light will not disappear once the flashlight is picked up and even turned off in the player's inventory. Since light passes through walls, a player can effectively light up a building by placing it outside enough to have the rooms inside lit up.

I don't currently know what effect dying wiith it turned on has nor do I know if the light persists if the lamp was ruined on that dead player, though a ruined one cannot be turned on.

• Like 1

Great stuff! I just recently discovered how useful these were, using one to loot the shipwreck.  Much better than a flashlight for looting.  The way light sources are now,  the flashlight is such a bust anyways and can be seen from a long way off, shining right through the building walls. If I'm going to look like a damn mini-supernova from a distance, may as well have the best light possible for looting.  The lamp is way brighter than the flashlight, and illuminates in all directions.