DoxHoliday

Configuring Private Hive, Password-Protected Server

I've seen this topic bandied about since the most recent update, but the threads about this seem to veer off into the differences between hardcore and public servers. 

What we would like to know is:  are private hives now available?

The release notes state:  "Database:  Support for sub hives. (Sub-private, Hardcore/Regular public)" This would seem to imply that private servers have been enabled (per the dev notes it is something they wanted to include soon),  as well as the hardcore/public hive split (which we already have info on).

Is "Sub-private"  referring to private, password-protected servers ?  How is this implemented?  Will hosting providers be amending their control panel to include an option for switching between private and public ?

I think there's a fair amount of current/potential server operators out there wanting some additional info on this.  Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere - as of yet I've been unable to find anything conclusive.

Can anyone confirm this functionality?

• Like 2

Simple answer: Not ATM.

Implication aside, I think they are just testing functionality, but there has been no change to the server rules. So no password, no private servers and no private hives. We will have to wait a little longer for that functionality to be available.

Yup. Fair enough,  I haven't seen any rule changes, etc, or any private servers in the browser for that matter.  Suppose they'll get to it soon enough.   :thumbsup:

there is one showing as private hive... somewhere in the US.. nvm... ist gone now

Edited by Killerfurby

As far as i know theres no official ETA on any kind of private servers yet :)
If you have seen the latest announcement, about the saving issues, you will know the big changes to the DB, to implement Regular and Hardcore DB "shards", caused a hell of a lot of issues.

So im thinking its gonna be a while before they are gonna be able to provide any kind of stabile private server setup.
I mean, if they cant make the public ones work the way it should, how are they gonna be able to make the private servers work the way they should, when its all inside the same DB :)

That being said, it appears they are working on the support structure, in the DB, for private servers.
So i guess it could be weeks or months, before they do it, none of us really knows :)