atmaca (DayZ)

DayZ not Worth a Buy

Although I don't agree in general, he pointed out the MOST frustrating problem of this game. Not zeds, not performance issues, not having worst netcode ever, but the controls and animations. Still it's not a gamebreaking issue for me but it's surely a torture to fight your character to do something. Before you say "alpha!" let me point out this game is in developement for more than 1,5 years and they did it from scratch just to fix these kind of issues, now look what we got... even ArmA3 plays smoother than this...

Anyway here's the video...

• Like 1

Edited by Guest

1:15 "I have actually preffered War Z" - really bro? 'nuff said.
EDIT: War Inc. engine better than ArmA 2's? really bro? [x2]

Edited by Barrett_killz
  • Like 14

Even with the documented issues, it is still one hell of a fun game!

My gripe is none of those, my gripe is when I press 1, or 2, or 3 to pull out whatever weapon I have in that slot, it sometimes will immediately be taken out, or sometimes it will take 30 button mashes to get the damn thing in my hands.  Iv'e also had where it just wont equip into my hands and I have to go into inventory, drag and drop to get the "you are already doing something" message, and then the hot bar key works.

ALPHA!   :lol:

• Like 2

There's like 1000 videos like this already. It's your money. You decide wether or not to buy. There's no such term as ''worth'' or not. It's your personal opinion wether or not it's worth.

• Like 3

i never played WarZ, but seriously - controls and object/environment interaction in ArmA and now in DayZ SA is an abomination, its horrible beyond description.

i love DayZ despite it, though, but its always persistent. i was severely disappointed to find the arma controls in SA.

• Like 4

1:15 "I have actually preffered War Z" - really bro? 'nuff said.

EDIT: War Inc. engine better than ArmA 2's? really bro? [x2]

Agreed :D

Yet I have to say, I am somewhat sad that SA feels more like A2 instead of A3... :/

I would have paid full price for this game.  To be honest, I LOVE the incremental updates.  It refreshes my experience each time and basically makes it a brand new game for me.

It is like when I have beaten Skyrim to death (and god knows at 700 hours I have) if something suddenly came in and shook the entire thing up and made much of it a whole new experience.  I would kill for that.  Watching this develope is very similar.

For the whole video I was talking in my mind:

"press numbad enter for 3rd person you noob, untill you learn how to play. Then go 1st person".

I don't agree with this video at all. I really don't think that the controls are that bad, it's all a metter of getting used to it. I my self have been using/playing with Real Virtuality Engine since Operation Flashpoint so I'm more then used with the controls.

In my opinion, the only problem that dayz have right now - besides the lack in item's variety, spawns and problems to save your progress - is the low performance issues like mouse lagging and fps drops.  But hey, its alpha, you are supposed to have performance and connectivity issues as it was with ArmA 3. While in alpha you had major fps drops issues which were later fixed.

• Like 1

A somewhat fair assessment of an alpha product, although premature, since controls and animations are further down on the priority list. I'm sure an evaluation of DayZ once it reaches beta will be drastically different.

I don´t see the point in reviewing a game in alpha state. Whether you paid for it or not..

• Like 2

Opinions... everyone has them. Personally I have absolutely no regrets about buying the game so far, and can safely say the same about some friends. But I got to admit, sometimes I've wondered how the game game would look and feel on a different engine.

But yeah, all in all a pretty useless "review" of an alpha title, which already clearly states that you should not buy the game on the sales page...

Edited by Badass Preacher

250 hours in game and I say he's talking out his hoop...

Consideing his playtime probably amounts to a few hours I'd say your right ... seems to be the new trend for all these new "reviewers" climbning out of the woodwork to play a game for a couple hours and then act like they have a legitimate review when half of their gripes are due to them not knowing wtf they are doing and getting frustrated.  It's called a learning curve bitches ... and yes dayz has a steep one.

** and for the record .. the short short time I tried warz it was JUST as much about learning what not to do so bugs didnt kill you as dayz is.

Edited by SaveMeJebus
  • Like 1

If controls and animations are the deciding factors in his "review" I don't even need to watch it.

Best thing about the internet: everyone can get their ideas and opinions out there. Worst thing about the internet: everyone can get their ideas and opinions out there.

• Like 1

Ah youtube videos....... I couldn't care less. Make your own mind. I purchased the alpha because: 1) i know what alpha stage in software development means and so what i will face, 2) i wanted to support the development.Yet I still enjoy the SA alpha a lot even though it has all these problems. BTW there is a pinned topic about this subject. So why make a new thread anyways? 

Edit: @ above me: No the worst thing about the internet is, everyone thinks he is the middle point of the universe and everyone has to accept their opinion. 

Edited by sk1y

Really? This game was started by one guy off a mod. Not some huge gaming company like Bethesda or EA. Even major companies take a year or more to make a game. You're bitching because after 1.5 years it's still in Alpha? Tell you what, try making a game all on your own, on your own time, on your own dollar and let me know how it pans out in another year. Even Rocket has said don't buy the game right now because of its instability. Don't buy unless you're willing to help identify and work on those issues.

Instead of bitching, just close Steam and go do something productive. Come here and whine about the game... what a joke.

• Like 1

Overall, WarZ's engine is by no means better than Arma's engine, BUT, WarZ's controls do feel a lot smoother than DayZ. That's a fact. Yes, as horrible as a game/scam like WarZ, there are still several things they did right which DayZ can use some improvement on.

• Like 1