NOBEF

CLASSES and SPECIALIZATIONS

what do you think about?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to implement this system to the game?

2. 2. which is your favourite class?

• SOLDIER, marine
    • SOLDIER, gunner
    • SOLDIER, sniper
    • SURVIVOR, hunter
    • SURVIVOR, fisher man
    • SURVIVOR, thief
    • HANDYMAN, builder
    • HANDYMAN, cook
    • HANDYMAN, farmer
    • ENGINEER, mechanic
    • ENGINEER, pilot
    • ENGINEER, sapper
    • MEDIC, surgeon
    • MEDIC, first aid
    • MEDIC, priest
    • none

Not all men can pilot an helicopter, make a blood transfusion and shoot with a sniper rifle. so, there is a way to make this more realistic but at the same time enjoyable?

I'm not talking about classes like in team fotress 2; anyone will be able to do almost anything in the game.

For example: a sniper can both shoot with his rifle and repair a car but he probably does the first better than the other.

There are 5 classes and each one has 3 different specializations, so 15 specializations. them are listed below.

The only different between specialization is the skill tree that cannot be unlocked with exp points but by challages. To unlock new abilities you have to complete some particular challanges, different from one ability to another. When you first spawn, your character has no abilities regardless of the choosen class. As you progress you learn new abilities and skills based on the class you choosen.

This way there will be more cooperation between players and less little Chuck Norris spamming bullets in the head of an unlucky newbie.

Obviously, when you die you lose your progresses...

To combine the class system with the humanity system there are also 4 additional classes that develop only with humanity points.

When you reach a certain amount of humanity points you can choose another additional "special" class or a second specialization of your actual class.

Class list: ( UPPERCASE = CLASS    lower case = specialization )

SOLDIER: BETTER USING GUNS AND WEAPONS

marine: more agile. less reload time. better in hand to hand combat.

gunner: more resistant. less recoil with all guns. better using heavy weapons

sniper: harder to spot. more precision with all guns. better using long range weapons.

SURVIVOR: BETTER IN SURVIVING AND AGAINST ZOMBIES

hunter: less hungry. expert in hunting. can jump higher and longer.

Fisher man: less thirst. expert in fishing. can swim faster.

thief: resistant to sleep. expert in looting. can run faster.

HANDYMAN: VERY USEFUL WHEN PLAYING IN GROUP

builder: can build advanced structures and barricades.

cook: can combine foods to make recipes.

farmer: can grow crops

ENGINEER: BETTER USING VEHICLES AND ADVANCED GEARS

mechanic: can repair object such as weapons or vehicles.

pilot: drives vehicles of all kinds better.

sapper: can set up traps and craft advanced gears.

MEDIC: BETTER HEALING AND HELP OTHER PLAYERS

surgeon: can revive players and perform advanced operations

first aid: can make medicines and fix little wounds faster.

priest: it's a "humanity medic". he regains 1 humanity points per minute and can use holy object.

Special classes:

HERO: he has no special abilities but is better than the normal player

NINJA: the best against bandits. nearly impercempible. can use different special combat abilities.

GENERAL: can create and command platoons and give orders.

BANDIT: when you reach a negative amount of humanity points, this class gives you penalities instead of benefits.

This list is only a summary: i've got a lot of cool ideas for each class.

For example: a very skilled ninja can catch up a flying arrow with his bare hands then throwing a shuriken to his murder or the thief can use picklocks

to open locked chests.

Tell me what you think about; maybe give me suggestions how to make this system better. Don't forget to fill out the questionnaire.

Thank and have fun.

PS: sorry for my bad english.

Edited by NOBEF

Having freedom to do what you want in this game feels better imho. I'd rather prefer to have chance to gather equipment and look like an actual medic/surgeon rather than having a medic class and then look like a soldier anyway :)

I want to vote "No", but as you posted two polls, I need to pick some option in the second poll. I suggest you to add a "none" option in your secind pool.

OP, you're able to do to pretty much each and every one of these things anyways, there's just no bonus. Grab your gear and roleplay.

Adding "classes" and "specializations" would only give certain players more to exploit without adding anything to the game that can't already be done.

It's all already in the game, it's just not structured in the game so you pick "medic" class. If you wanna be a medic, go pick up a defib and some bandages and find some people needing help. If you wanna be a soldier, find yourself a rifle and fall in line.

I know it's a SANDBOX and you want to feel free as possible. Infact these classes will not provide handicaps. "anyone will be able to do almost anything in the game" i said. Each class only provides bonuses for a more fucused gameplay.

I voted no/none, but i kinda see your point..

IF and only IF it ever gets implemented (which i highly doubt), I would hope they did it like this:

Just like blood types, random background knowledge about certain subjects would be instilled in the character at spawn.  You would have to do certain actions to test who your character is.  As if youre on a mission of self discovery; as if youre trying to recover from amnesia.  

Perhaps your character knows about poisonous berries.  It would display on screen as poisonous, where it otherwise would not if you were spawned without this knowledge.  

EXAMPLE: 

Botanist Survivor: This berry is poisonous.  it would be extremely dangerous to ingest this.  Side effects include rapid heart rate and difficulty breathing.  Death can occur within minutes of ingestion. 

Uneducated Survivor:  This berry is red with white dots on it.  I never ate this berry before and dont know if it is safe to eat. 

If the uneducated survivor survives eating the poisonous berry OR if he find a Guide on Berry Safety, he learns.  Every time he sees that berry again, the Botanist Survivor message displays instead of the Uneducated Survivor message.

• Like 4

is my idea THAT bad? I think not. Maybe this is not the game it should be added to. But i personally feel very bad playing a game where all the characters are just the same and YOUR GEARS COUNT MORE THAN YOUR LIFE. That's the sad truth.

I imagine a situation like this:

medic: hello i' m a medic.
survivor: hi medic, i'm injured. can you please help me?
medic: yes of course. but i'm very hungry. have you any food?

survivor: yes, take here.

that's cooperation between classes.

player 1: hello, friendly?
player 2: yes, can you please give me some bandages?

player 1: ok. (mmh, i' m very hungry. why don't just kill this guy and take his food?)

player 1 shot player 2

player 2 *dead*: (oh, never mind: i had nothing particular. just respawn, find a weapon and kill another player)

That's dayz.

I can see what you're getting at here. What they should do is start us out all the same but the more you do something (running, shooting, etc), the better your guy is. Not everyone is a long distant runner and not everyone can shoot a weapon accurately. The more you run the faster you'll be. The more you shoot, the better shot you will be.

• Like 1

A classless system is often better, but I can see some benefits of balancing with them. The last thing I want to see Day Z become is another WoW clone. Maybe a "skill system" would be something better and more easily implemented.

Not all men can pilot an helicopter, make a blood transfusion and shoot with a sniper rifle. so, there is a way to make this more realistic but at the same time enjoyable?

I'm not talking about classes like in team fotress 2; anyone will be able to do almost anything in the game. For example: a sniper can both shoot with his rifle and repair a car but he probably does the first better than the other.

PS: sorry for my bad english.

I voted 'No' and 'None', simply because this is an unnecessary complication to DayZ.

And don't apologize for your english. It's better than most english only people on these forums.

Thank you very much for your comments.

I just make some correction based on your comments. 

What i called "specialization" is just the "role", the main gameplay style of your character.

This suggestion is based on the concept of having a class system; the way to add it into the game is not determined at all yet.

And believe me, i really don't want a class system like team fortress 2 or world of warcraft!

I think the idea of classes is a good idea, but more like project zomboid (which I know that Dean is a fan of).

However, I would call them professions instead of classes. I would also suggest that there be NO military professions. Since this is a game where guns are so prevalent, having a military background would give a player too much of an advantage. Keep the professions limited to civilian professions such as construction worker, med-tech, cook, police officer, fireman, park ranger, school teacher, baker, banker, bank teller, security guard, etc. The professions would give one or two advantages in certain areas either based on the profession or just two random perks (such as running endurance, treating wounds, building structures, etc). The only advantage that should be left out is any sort of shooting benefit.

• Like 1

Classes open up a whole can of worms.

However I really see them doing this eventually. Not sure how they would even handle this aspect.

I suppose the way they could handle classes is in a realistic way. Give each class contextual "powers" that they would have in real life.

For example the hunter class would have been an experienced hunter before the epidemic hit and thus is an expert at skinning animals and gets more meat out of them.

Also in his years of experience he has learned to stalk game and thus makes less noise when walking and running in the wilderness .

As long as the classes are realistic I am ok with it.

Edited by gibonez

I like the idea of skills that improve in some small way and reset upon death, but I don't like the idea of classes at all. This isn't TF2.

I am glad someone has suggested this, I think this would really make the game more about survivors pulling their resources and working together.

I understand people wanting their characters to be unique and special in some way. Check out my book idea. I think it would work much better than classes and skill trees.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/174579-books-that-give-you-abilities-skills-and-animations-while-in-inventory/#entry1784044

To stay on topic, I think there should not be classes or a skill tree

I prefer it being classless because now you're opening up a whole new set of rules to balance.

And let's face it, it's impossible to completely balance things in this type of game. People will always find what to take and how to min/max their character.

As it stands, I'd prefer not to be constrained by outside rules that give someone else magical numbers that make them better at one thing than me.

I voted Maybe but needs work, With no favorite class for these reasons.

I don't think that you should have any choice of what skills you spawn with only those survival skills that you stumble across/Push to learn

And they must be survival only based skills not combat or military based enhancements.

Example: You hunt and kill an animal for the first time it runs off and you realize you're up wind so next time you could remember your failure and notice where you were standing and move around accordingly to be down wind instead.

You cook a meal and burn it or under cook and become ill next time when you try it says "maybe i should leave it to cook a bit more" or something along those lines.

I like the idea of classes and as others have mentioned not calling them classes but other things. But there cant be any way for any player to get an advantage in a combat situation this is difficult enough to deal with without someone who has spent 19 hours firing weapons and is therefore fully efficient with them firing at you. I really like the idea of learning things for yourself and possibly sometimes spawning with some basic civilian skills that cold assist you in the apocalypse and then learning a few more as you progress through time with all "skills" being lost upon death or some even forgotten or mixed up if knocked unconscious. But again i must stress that there can not be any way be a possibility to increase military efficiency in any way

Edited by Nurrvillian

I agree with classes, as long as they are not military based and are random. In other games which allows class selection, most go for the most powerful class, making it really pointless. Randomising it would stops this, though people may kill themselves to get a class so maybe make classes stay the same regardless of respawn for maybe 30 minutes after you respawn.

Also this type of system would put more value on player lives. If a medic class could heal a player on a more advanced scale, it would likely stop bandits killing on sight as a medic would be of value. Also people would be more inclined to team up, with a variety of classes in each group to gain the advantages of each.