Sign in to follow this  
transmuto

2 steam accounts (with paid dayz) on 1 computer = 1 shared char?

Hello Everybody!

I have played Dayz on the same computer with two different steam accounts. Until two days ago, I was able to sign off one char on steam acct#1 and play a completely different character on steam acct #2 (still using the same computer). Switched back and forth as many times as I liked on my same computer.

Now, both steam accounts (again, each with a bought version of Dayz) will only load the same one character!?!?! How could this be? I thought each character was associated with each paid steam account, not on the computer itself. I was doing it just fine for a month before this started happening.

Another odd thing, I noticed that in my DOCUMENTS/Dayz folder. It creates a new playerPROFILE & VAR file. Both steam account seems to be "sharing it" even though they should load their respective characters. Previously DOCUMENTS/Dayz other profiles folder contained the unique names of each of my steams chars... Has that changed?

Any help would be nice. I'm not sure what changed from a couple days ago till tonight.

Probably some Fuck up with the new patch. I wouldn't worry to much about it. It'll get fixed tomorrow or next week.

Hi!

I have got the same Problem since the last patch.

I play DayZ on my friends computer who has also DayZ. After the last patch I logged into my steam account and some weird things happened.

1. I logged into my Steam Account
  2. Started DayZ (I was sure my character was reset because of the patch)
  3. I started with a new character as I was thinking
  4. I changed Server
  5. I suddenly was equiped again, and spawning near Vybor where I logged out like a week ago (very different gear and spawn point as the point where I logged out right before the new patch) + I had a different name. Now the rly strange thing is, also my ingame name changed to a name neither I, nor my friend used on the DayZ Standalone. It was the Name my friend used in the ARMA 2 Mod DayZ some time ago (dafaq?). Also my video and controll settings were set back to dafault.
  6. No problem, I just kept playing.
  7. My friend logged into his Steam Account and started DayZ.
  8. He also spawned near Vybor (where we logged out maybe a week ago together, but at that time we were ofc playing on different computers). The same things that happened to me were now happening to him (different name -> this time my Standalone name and my control settings, but reset video settings .....)
  9. Np, he was sad about loosing his recent picked up gear, but at least he had something to start with. So he played.
  10. Now, I am sitting at front of his computer again and want to play the DayZ Standalone.
  11. I start DayZ.
  12. I see my char. YEY! .... but his Standalone Name ...
  13. I log onto a server -> Have his control & video settings!
  14. Np, I play but got lags on the server -> I change server
  15. New spawn somewhere at the coast .....
  16. :(

Sad times, but I guess that's what "Early Access" means ^^

Btw. I like the new things u added to the game with the new patch & I love the game ;)

I just don't want to loose my char 24/7 xD

cU anarx

Edit: the format here in the forums seem bugged ... I use 1. 2. 3.  ..... but it does not show it, it shows in "Edit" though ^^

Edit2: Just read this: Servers with connection issues to central hive ... So I guess, this is part of the problem, but it does not explain the strange config behavior

Edit3: I now fully understand, that the "Character loss" is due to some servers not connecting to the hive properly. I changed the server, and have one of my older characters again. But still not my latest. ... I hope you can fix your problems, good luck, I am looking forward to it.

Edited by anarx

Hello Everybody!

I have played Dayz on the same computer with two different steam accounts. Until two days ago, I was able to sign off one char on steam acct#1 and play a completely different character on steam acct #2 (still using the same computer). Switched back and forth as many times as I liked on my same computer.

Now, both steam accounts (again, each with a bought version of Dayz) will only load the same one character!?!?! How could this be? I thought each character was associated with each paid steam account, not on the computer itself. I was doing it just fine for a month before this started happening.

Another odd thing, I noticed that in my DOCUMENTS/Dayz folder. It creates a new playerPROFILE & VAR file. Both steam account seems to be "sharing it" even though they should load their respective characters. Previously DOCUMENTS/Dayz other profiles folder contained the unique names of each of my steams chars... Has that changed?

Any help would be nice. I'm not sure what changed from a couple days ago till tonight.

Do you have separate user accounts or are you both sharing the default admin account?  Because, I believe if you use two user accounts, that would probably solve your problems.  I know a majority of people do it but I would also advise against using the admin account for everything, and creating normal user accounts instead anyway.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Its my first time posting on forums...

The admin account issue is most likely the problem.  Will see if that fixes it.

Edited by transmuto

Thanks for all the replies. Its my first time posting on forums...

The admin account issue is most likely the problem.  Will see if that fixes it.

You should see if there is a bug report on this, if not this is a good one

I'm glad this has some merit. Its nice to help people who are batshit agngry...

Having a user for each of my steam accounts pretty much fixed it. Even having just a basic user account on my windows 7 setting only allowed the first steam's account char loaded to be the only one playable (even if i tried to login to my other steam account). So now I have to log in and out of the users to play for a specific steam account. Kinda sucks... It all has to do with the fact that the player profile and VARS files is held in the DAYZ folder rather than switching between the various files in DAYZ other profiles (which is probably no more).

I did not submit this to the bug report, because I had trouble figuring it out.