Sign in to follow this  
Zjasuu

The game doesn't feel like a zombie apocalypse.

OK I'm just gonna stop replying since nobody is understanding my point.

• Like 1

The mod had rain and lightning, didn't it? I'm sure we can expect the same when they do a weather/environment update.

We got rain atm :D

K1QPqg0.jpg

Then this should be posted in the suggestions section not here. Saying what should or shouldn't be in the game and complaining now without reading the upcoming patch notes etc is just ignorance especially because IT IS in alpha.

Actually, he's just saying what he hopes/hoped the world would look like, not "The world should look like this!" or "Make the map look like this!" 

He's just sharing his thoughts, not complaining. 

• Like 1

Why shouldn't the sun be shining after a zombie apocalypse?

This.  Just because a virus outbreak caused the majority of the population to go all 28 days later on us, doesn't mean mother nature suddenly goes "Oh shit better be a cloudy bitch all the time."

• Like 1

Adding more Zombies won't fix that feel. Zombies are so easy to be dealt with. They need to be lethal and dangerous, even for more geared up people, so much you should stay away from them all the time.

Sadly it would never be like that because #toohardforfreshspawn and #makesgametoohard

So the atmosphere would be grimmer.

But zombie apocalypse is the happiest thing that counld happen to me.

OK I'm just gonna stop replying since nobody is understanding my point.

EXACTLY

NO ONE HERE understands what the OP is saying.

It isn't because it is alpha, it is because of THE ATMOSPHERE. The atmosphere in this game is almost identical to the one in the mod.

It's like right at your face...

• Like 1

He's speaking about the environment, the setting... the mood! Over grown grass, dirty,broken filty cities. dead bodies... all that horror shit you'd expect. Maybe in due time... can only wait. :D

This is zombie apocalypse, not Detroit.

Edited by Frosti

This is zombie apocalypse, not Detroit.

This place would look like detroit if there was a zombie apocalypse...

Detroit is like this thanks to lack of order, education, and funding.

No funding, no order, no education during the apocalypse, and especially not several years after.

The map is still very much a work in progress. I think you'll see more things like this once it's closer to completion. There are still a lot of towns up north that need to be added before they start adding all the "finishing touches".

Why shouldn't the sun be shining after a zombie apocalypse?

Pretty much how would zombies somehow change the weather ?

Pretty much how would zombies somehow change the weather ?

One does not simply make a valid argument by referring to zombies.

Edited by Zjasuu

I have three points, really, and I'll preface by saying I've never played the DayZ Standalone and my experience is solely with the mod.

1.) DayZ doesn't strive to bring you atmosphere, it brings you realism. Zombie infection is a plague, and plague does not stop the sun from shining, nor does it stop bunnies from hopping through the forest. When bubonic his Europe, Mr. Sun didn't just say "Peace!" and then head off for greener pastures. I know it's called the Dark Ages but that's not why, and indeed rabbits could still be found in the woods.

A zombie game where it's always night and rabbits have all committed suicide because they couldn't stand the horrors of the world in fact isn't atmospheric at all, it's unrealistic. Real life has a lot of atmosphere, I'm breathing it in as I type and I hope you're breathing it in as you read. The atmosphere in DayZ is the recreation of a world that actually was hit by zombies.

2.) Doesn't OP's picture look a lot like Cherno? Buildings are pretty run down in DayZ, at least that's what we call run down where I live. If you live in The Zone then maybe that constitutes "normal" but for most, it's very run down. And if you find the right items you can make your character look just like that in DayZ, gas mask in all. Until a group of bandits roll up and nick your pants, of course.

3.) I've always been under the impression that DayZ doesn't take place all that long after the zombie outbreak. If we were talking years and years later, then yeah things would be proper overgrown. But seeing as there is still a good amount of canned beans in grocery stores, I doubt that's the case. A more accurate estimate would be a case of months, not years. So weeds in the yard are about the most you'll get. When was the last time you had to trim the vines that try to envelop your house every few weeks? Never? Really? As an inhabitant of Teldrassil this happens to me often but I guess it boils down to again, DayZ is striving for realism.

If realism isn't really your thing when it comes to atmosphere (I'm not trying to slander you on this, it's perfectly fine I hate overbearing realism too in most games) then maybe you should check out Nether. It still has the sun, as without it I fear our planet would become a popsicle, but it's very smokey and gloomy looking all the time. Buildings are really banged up and overgrown, and there isn't a bunny in sight. That said Nether isn't zombies so you'd have to sacrifice that, it's teleport-y spooky monsters.

ScreenShot09.jpg

I personally prefer DayZ for it's realism and much more advanced game mechanics, but Nether has the core of what makes DayZ fun. Which is to say, you can murder people for various canned goods.

Edited by Shodex

One does not simply make a valid argument by referring to zombies.

I don't think you have a valid argument to back up that claim then... :)

Really, I'm all for an improved weather system, and more story-ish stuf flike wrecks, leftovers that maybe tries to tell some kind of story, something like that. But no colour filters or anything like that. I think someone in another thread suggets large bomb craters. That is not a good idea, IMO.

I have three points, really, and I'll preface by saying I've never played the DayZ Standalone and my experience is solely with the mod.

1.) DayZ doesn't strive to bring you atmosphere, it brings you realism. Zombie infection is a plague, and plague does not stop the sun from shining, nor does it stop bunnies from hopping through the forest. When bubonic his Europe, Mr. Sun didn't just say "Peace!" and then head off for greener pastures. I know it's called the Dark Ages but that's not why, and indeed rabbits could still be found in the woods.

A zombie game where it's always night and rabbits have all committed suicide because they couldn't stand the horrors of the world in fact isn't atmospheric at all, it's unrealistic. Real life has a lot of atmosphere, I'm breathing it in as I type and I hope you're breathing it in as you read. The atmosphere in DayZ is the recreation of a world that actually was hit by zombies.

2.) Doesn't OP's picture look a lot like Cherno? Buildings are pretty run down in DayZ, at least that's what we call run down where I live. If you live in The Zone then maybe that constitutes "normal" but for most, it's very run down. And if you find the right items you can make your character look just like that in DayZ, gas mask in all. Until a group of bandits roll up and nick your pants, of course.

3.) I've always been under the impression that DayZ doesn't take place all that long after the zombie outbreak. If we were talking years and years later, then yeah things would be proper overgrown. But seeing as there is still a good amount of canned beans in grocery stores, I doubt that's the case. A more accurate estimate would be a case of months, not years. So weeds in the yard are about the most you'll get. When was the last time you had to trim the vines that try to envelop your house every few weeks? Never? Really? As an inhabitant of Teldrassil this happens to me often but I guess it boils down to again, DayZ is striving for realism.

If realism isn't really your thing when it comes to atmosphere (I'm not trying to slander you on this, it's perfectly fine I hate overbearing realism too in most games) then maybe you should check out Nether. It still has the sun, as without it I fear our planet would become a popsicle, but it's very smokey and gloomy looking all the time. Buildings are really banged up and overgrown, and there isn't a bunny in site. That said Nether isn't zombies so you'd have to sacrifice that, it's teleport-y spooky monsters.

ScreenShot09.jpg

I personally prefer DayZ for it's realism and much more advanced game mechanics, but Nether has the core of what makes DayZ fun. Which is to say, you can murder people for various canned goods.

Atmosphere is what keeps you immersed in the game and defines what universe, what world you are in right now in the game world.

There many realistic games, especially ones for the army, but they don't have a immersive atmosphere because they are made for training marines, not getting them addicted to video games.

Just because everyone is dead and eating eachothers flesh doesn't mean there shouldn't be sun and bunnies, the bunnies are fast you really think a dead perrson with half their limbs missing is going to catch and eat all the bunnies. There wasn't some nuke that went off, everyone just turned red eyed and started eating eachother. And yes there would be overgrowth, but it will take time. Quite alot of time.

(Just stating my opinion of the matter, not trying in any way to be a trollarch dick) I love you.

Edited by Dusty_

Atmosphere is what keeps you immersed in the game and defines what universe, what world you are in right now in the game world.

There many realistic games, especially ones for the army, but they don't have a immersive atmosphere because they are made for training marines, not getting them addicted to video games.

You're right, but generally immersion comes from when the fiction is so well thought out and practical that it can suspend your disbelief. If DayZ had no sun, I'd wonder where the sun had gone and why the zombies were able to effect our planet's orbit. And in deed, I'd be extremely terrified as to where all the bunnies have gone off it. Are they plotting against us? Have they built an underground tunnel system to escape the apocalypse? How will I be able to get to Wonderland?

You can build immersion in a world that is unrealistic, but this is done by paying attention to the details. So much so that it FEELS realistic. True atmosphere goes far beyond the simple aesthetic appearance of the world. There is one thing that will constantly remind you that DayZ is a zombie apocalypse, the zombies everywhere (or at least for the standalone players, the promise of zombies everywhere later).

• Like 1

You're right, but generally immersion comes from when the fiction is so well thought out and practical that it can suspend your disbelief. If DayZ had no sun, I'd wonder where the sun had gone and why the zombies were able to effect our planet's orbit. And in deed, I'd be extremely terrified as to where all the bunnies have gone off it. Are they plotting against us? Have they built an underground tunnel system to escape the apocalypse? How will I be able to get to Wonderland?

You can build immersion in a world that is unrealistic, but this is done by paying attention to the details. So much so that it FEELS realistic. True atmosphere goes far beyond the simple aesthetic appearance of the world. There is one thing that will constantly remind you that DayZ is a zombie apocalypse, the zombies everywhere (or at least for the standalone players, the promise of zombies everywhere later).

I 100% agree. I meant to say that atmosphere is a factor a very large one. But details are probably the single most powerful factor when it comes to immersion. It is why people like me love sci fi books and get so immersed to them as if it was real.

DayZ IS immersive, but what the OP is saying that the atmosphere of the game itself, while contributing to immersion, does not really signal ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE instantly.

when I spawn on beach 2 hour ago in dark night with only flashlight and I find house but outside was zombie sound but I don't see where is and I running up the road and 2 zombie make chase and hit me so I am bleed on my clothes... :o

...and message coming you need to drink...you are starving hungry... :o

....and when I take t shirt to make bandage in house and woman zed coming through door and I need to run before I finish bandage out the back door into black night and keep run because now was 3 zeds coming and I see nothing only stars and I listen only the ocean and zeds making aggro and still I bleed on my clothes.... :o

...is feel like fucking zombie apocalypse to me  :|

Edited by KoS

I really don't find the aesthetic to be out of place at all... I mean, from a realistic standpoint, I work in a building that's been around since the turn of the century. We really don't do a whole lot to maintain it, the only real work we've had to put in was resealing some of the sills around our windows, as rain was starting to sneak in during high winds. Aside from that, and miscellaneous roofing tar-jobs after hailstorms, you really don't have to do a whole hell of a lot in the way of preventing a dilapidated structure. You don't mean to tell me that some of you folks have an annual chop-off-the-vines-growing-on-my-house ritual I've somehow lucked out of undergoing alll these years, right? ;)

As far as overgrowth goes, I could see maybe bumping up the foliage growing around the foundations of some buildings, but I don't really think it has to be excessive-- I haven't seen too many well-manicured lawns as I wander around the expanse of Chernarus.  

does not really signal ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE instantly

This is really tough for me to agree with, as none of us have actually been through a zombie apocalypse. So we aren't the best to say what it might actually look like, it's all up to our imagination. My imagination just happens to lead me to the conclusion that it would look just like DayZ or The Walking Dead.

• Like 1