Sign in to follow this  
WierdBeard

So Dayz made Drudge today

The header quotes it as a Muder Simulator Like No Other.  Linked to a Fastcompany.com article I can't link for some reason...

The header quotes it as a Muder Simulator Like No Other.  Linked to a Fastcompany.com article I can't link for some reason...

Um.  There is already a thread about this.  And it provided the actual link.  What is the purpose of this post exactly?

• Like 1

I searched and didn't find the thread so I'll post here instead.

Drudge should be ashamed of themselves as this is not a murder simulator.

This is exactly what Hall was worried about in an recent interview. Basically he said he's worried out what to add to the game (I think the reference in this case was beer or vodka) in fear of being demonized by the media.

Edited by Bennet

Ok so what is drudge ?

some american thing ?

Edited by BL1P

This is just like saying a firearm is what kills people, or a fork makes people fat.

http://www.fastcompany.com/3025201/most-creative-people/dayz-a-murder-simulator-psychology-study-and-zombie-game-tests-your-emo

Saw this article this morning on the Drudge Report. So basiclly this according to the media is now a murder simulator. I really think this is more reason that proves that modern media/news is out of touch with reality. And to be quite honest I was surpised when I clicked the article and it was about DayZ I was expecting it to be about GTA. What are your toughts about, is it a fair assetment, this man says no.

Note: Yes I found the Drudge Report, Yes I am considered Right Wing, but please don't Blame the source of where I found it stick to the Article I linked.

Ok so what is drudge ?

some american thing ?

The Drudge Report. Vastly popular news aggregator. Think of Slashdot, except that it still has the power to Slashdot things, whereas Slashdot itself doesn't any more. It's run by a conservative chap called Matt Drudge rather than a bunch of internet people. Matt Drudge really hates President Obama and is an arch-conservative and Republican. He's one of the most influential gay men on the internet. His best friend, Andrew Brietbart, was so fat that he died of a heart attack!

Will this hurt DayZ? Not in the slightest; you have to click the link to find out that the story is about DayZ, it's buried away on the front page, and in any case DayZ is developed in the Czech Republic. If anything it might lead to a flood of kill-on-sight players who will play the game as a straightforward shoot-em-up. The fact of DayZ being independently developed is a massive help. When I think of computer gaming controversies that caused genuine trouble to the developers - Six Days in Fallujah, the "hot coffee" mod, etc - the trouble came about when the publishers buckled to pressure. Compare with e.g. Resistance: Fall of Man, which prompted the British Prime Minister to criticise the developers (one of the levels was set in the real-life Manchester Cathedral) but crucially the publishers held their ground, and the game was a big success.

The only worry is that Steam might pull it, but that seems very unlikely.

Edited by AshleyP

If you read the article, it's actually not that critical. Actually seemed rather reasonable, and highlighted a lot of the crazy emotional situations that players have gotten themselves into.

Of course the use of "murder simulator" is unnecessary and overly-dramatic, but the guy makes his money on clicks so you've got to give him a little leeway there.

Ok so what is drudge ?

some american thing ?

You really don't want to know. :(

http://www.fastcompany.com/3025201/most-creative-people/dayz-a-murder-simulator-psychology-study-and-zombie-game-tests-your-emo

Saw this article this morning on the Drudge Report. So basiclly this according to the media is now a murder simulator.

Did you actually read the article? No where in it does it claim the game is a murder simulator, and in fact makes it clear that that particular term was from a reddit post, and is quoted. It's a good article about the game.

From the article, towards the end:

One particularly striking post calls the game "a murder simulator like no other," describing the player's stages of emotions after making his first kill. He starts off feeling a wave of guilt and grief for the stranger sitting across the Internet, who in that moment lost everything he had accomplished in the game. "Then the worst thing happened," writes the player. "I started to rationalize my kill. 'Well he probably would've tried to kill me.' 'Well it's only fair, I've been killed 10 times by players like him.' 'It's only a game.' Anything I could think of to make myself feel better. This is what makes DayZ so great. To think that this 'game' gave me the opportunity to struggle with morality in a way that other forms of entertainment never have.

I think that's a pretty interesting and not uncommon reaction to the game.

Hmm, I don't feel anything when I KOS people. Where do they find these people who get emotional over video games lol.

Saw this article this morning on the Drudge Report. So basiclly this according to the media is now a murder simulator. I really think this is more reason that proves that modern media/news is out of touch with reality. And to be quite honest I was surpised when I clicked the article and it was about DayZ I was expecting it to be about GTA. What are your toughts about, is it a fair assetment, this man says no.

Note: Yes I found the Drudge Report, Yes I am considered Right Wing, but please don't Blame the source of where I found it stick to the Article I linked.

mergin

Hmm, I don't feel anything when I KOS people. Where do they find these people who get emotional over video games lol.

You get out of it what you put in. If you don't invest yourself emotionally in the experience, then obviously you're not going to react emotionally to what happens in the game.

It will get easier to "lose yourself" when there's more to do, though. I will say that. There was a day during the mod when my brother and I decided to load up our truck and travel across the map to relocate our home base from Zelenogorsk to the forests north of Berezino. We had it all planned out, and the truck was packed entirely full of weeks' worth of equipment, food, fuel, weapons, ammunition. An army's worth of stuff. We didn't get but 1500m when we stopped to fuel up and were ambushed by two guys with AK's. I was knocked out immediately, and the ensuing firefight was one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had in a video game. Watching my brother stand over me (through the grey and grainy unconsciousness filter) as he fired round after round at our assailants, downing one immediately and sending the other into cover all while shouting that he was going to save me was epic.

The shots paused long enough for him to bandage me, and then I hopped up and joined the fight again, eventually pegging the remaining guy in the back of the head as he tried to move to more distant cover from the overturned car he was behind. We gave  up on our cross-country trip that night, but my heart was pounding like never before in a video game and the fact that my own brother saved my life made it even more emotional. I gave him an extra big hug when I saw him that Thanksgiving.

Edited by ZedsDeadBaby
  • Like 4

(Single tear drop forms on left eye and slowly rolls down cheek; loses momentum and clings on cheek. Shakes head to make it roll further, doesn't work.)

• Like 1

You get out of it what you put in. If you don't invest yourself emotionally in the experience, then obviously you're not going to react emotionally to what happens in the game.

It will get easier to "lose yourself" when there's more to do, though. I will say that. There was a day during the mod when my brother and I decided to load up our truck and travel across the map to relocate our home base from Zelenogorsk to the forests north of Berezino. We had it all planned out, and the truck was packed entirely full of weeks' worth of equipment, food, fuel, weapons, ammunition. An army's worth of stuff. We didn't get but 1500m when we stopped to fuel up and were ambushed by two guys with AK's. I was knocked out immediately, and the ensuing firefight was one of the most emotional experiences I've ever had in a video game. Watching my brother stand over me (through the grey and grainy unconsciousness filter) as he fired round after round at our assailants, downing one immediately and sending the other into cover all while shouting that he was going to save me was epic.

The shots paused long enough for him to bandage me, and then I hopped up and joined the fight again, eventually pegging the remaining guy in the back of the head as he tried to move to more distant cover from the overturned car he was behind. We gave  up on our cross-country trip that night, but my heart was pounding like never before in a video game and the fact that my own brother saved my life made it even more emotional. I gave him an extra big hug when I saw him that Thanksgiving.

That's how the game should feel.  The people who play it like CoD will feel nothing when they kill, and only feel rage when they get killed.  It's sad that they have to plague games like this when there are plenty of other generic shooters out there they can play instead - while not ruining the experiences of those who actually like immersing themselves in the DayZ experience.

Edited by Mdogg2005

People with weird emotional and self awareness problems?